Question

IP Location issue

• 18 March 2021
  • 48 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

So apparently I cannot connect to sites that need to verify your location because my new tmobile internet service shows me as being located in a State that is different from my actual location.

Been on hold for 50 mins to speak to someone, not sure if I will get anyone tonight and this is not looking good for customer service support that you don’t have a different number specifically for tech issues like this.

48 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

We are sort of running like a VPN… a 464 tunnel, actually.  Just like a VPN, it can drop you out in a completely different area than your physical location.

I am typically “homed” out of Charlotte, NC even though I live in Florence, SC.

As such, my Sling TV wants to give me local content for the Charlotte area.  Kinda annoying, but this solution is saving me a substantial amount against Spectrum’s standard rates… and I was tired of haggling constantly with them for a little $10 discount here and there just to TRY to keep the cost somewhat reasonable.

Once in a blue moon I will get shot off somewhere in left field.  Sometimes a simple reboot resolves it.  Have had to do a full power down for a few minutes a couple times though.

While it isn’t exactly ideal, it is one of those pros/cons things you sometimes have to deal with if you are trying to save money or otherwise just want to try an alternative option.  I miss the ability to open ports properly as well.  So far it hasn’t been a critical issue, as I am not doing any multiplayer games that REQUIRE it--but if I do get around to that again, I will likely have to go back to Spectrum on their intro rate if TMO doesn’t figure out a better way to do dual-stack IP’s.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have to weigh my need to access sites which require me to be in my state in order to use the websites versus savings $10 a month. This is only my 2nd day of their service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have to weigh my need to access sites which require me to be in my state in order to use the websites versus savings $10 a month. This is only my 2nd day of their service.

Good luck!  In West Virginia, I always get an IP for Pennsylvania.  It is drawback for any streaming services that offer locals but don’t expect T-Mobile to change how their service works and where their backbones are for network connectivity just to provide local IP addresses.  

Userlevel 1

We are sort of running like a VPN… a 464 tunnel, actually.  Just like a VPN, it can drop you out in a completely different area than your physical location.

As such, my Sling TV wants to give me local content for the Charlotte area.  Kinda annoying, but this solution is saving me a substantial amount against Spectrum’s standard rates… and I was tired of haggling constantly with them for a little $10 discount here and there just to TRY to keep the cost somewhat reasonable.

Once in a blue moon I will get shot off somewhere in left field.  Sometimes a simple reboot resolves it.  Have had to do a full power down for a few minutes a couple times though.

While it isn’t exactly ideal, it is one of those pros/cons things you sometimes have to deal with if you are trying to save money or otherwise just want to try an alternative option.  I miss the ability to open ports properly as well.  So far it hasn’t been a critical issue, as I am not doing any multiplayer games that REQUIRE it--but if I do get around to that again, I will likely have to go back to Spectrum on their intro rate if TMO doesn’t figure out a better way to do dual-stack IP’s.

syaoran, are you saying this is T-Mobile’s design and is inherent to the service?

I’m apparently being located to a place 700 miles away.  It’s sort of humorous to get ads for New Mexico businesses on the Roku, but this could be a more serious problem with some websites and services.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Good luck!  In West Virginia, I always get an IP for Pennsylvania.  It is drawback for any streaming services that offer locals but don’t expect T-Mobile to change how their service works and where their backbones are for network connectivity just to provide local IP addresses.  

I previously posted this in the MLB.TV blog. Reading the MLB.TV terms and conditions, we cannot “spoof” our location to avoid blacked-out games. Violation is a $100 fine and loss of account. Here’s what worries me...depending on the location t-Mobile’s chooses for me (varies from Philly to Pittsburgh to Atlanta), I get a different game blacked out. I technically violate the MLB.TV rules simply by rebooting my Askey gateway and getting a different location.

Any thoughts??

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

syaoran, are you saying this is T-Mobile’s design and is inherent to the service?

I’m apparently being located to a place 700 miles away.  It’s sort of humorous to get ads for New Mexico businesses on the Roku, but this could be a more serious problem with some websites and services.

In its current implementation, yes.  In the future, the modem will need some sort of GPS receiver or something that can identify where the modem is located to tell the routing that it needs an IP address local to the physical location.  I can’t see this happening anytime soon as it would be somewhat of a combination between a CellSpot V2 and a Modem/Gateway to achieve what it needs to do.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

How can I determine my current T-Mobile Home Internet location.    I should not be getting my local MLB team games in MLB TV but I do.     

Userlevel 2
Badge

How can I determine my current T-Mobile Home Internet location.    I should not be getting my local MLB team games in MLB TV but I do.     

There are many IP locators; here is a link to one...Where is my IP location? (Geolocation)

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There are many IP locators; here is a link to one...Where is my IP location? (Geolocation)

Thanks.   That site reports location from multiple services.    Two of the services place me in my home state, but another (DB-IP) reports that I am in Oklahoma.

I use fuboTV and using T-mobile home internet they will not provide you a local IP address, so a service like fubo will check your public IP to determine where you are, so I am getting local channels.

I contact the support they say that I need to speak with fubo, and that is not the case. fubo has an api to check what is your IP address that is api.fubo.tv/v3/location the same they use in their code to check your location and my IP returns not on my region,

But I am a point I can’t spectrum anymore, for local channel I am getting VHF/UHF/HD 4K antenna to at least get the local channels.

I would prefer that the support is more direct and honest and just say we don’t provide local IP addresses, but for the price of internet and fubo TV it is enough a good reason for me to drop the spectrum monopoly. I try so hard with spectrum to try to make the price of TV+internet the same as t-mobile plus fubo, but that was an even impossible task, I lost my hope and patience.

If wasn’t for the issue of local IP, I was going to be 100% satisfied with t-mobile hoem internet, but I hope they fix it at some point. On the mean time an antenna is coming my way.

Just ran into the same issue with YouTubeTV. I haven't verified this yet, but I'm running my T-mobile internet through Google wifi mesh router. Devices that are connected to Google mesh seem to pickup the correct location. My desktop connected directly to T-mobile router is 100's of miles off of the correct location. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

May want to look into what Vidgo has to offer.  I was able to do a test run of the service a week or so back to confirm it works with TMO-HI, and it worked fine for us.  I am getting the key network and sports/news feeds we watch from the Sling Orange+Blue plans for a little bit less, and some of them also let me sign into the standalone apps so we don’t have to us their grid UI for things like ESPN, ACC, SEC, etc.

Both Sling and Vidgo worked for us since we too have set up an antenna to serve the house with locals.  TMO is reporting us as the Charlotte, NC region instead of the Pee Dee Region (actually in Florence, SC), but that didn’t prevent us from using their services--it can just cause the service to feed you some different regional content like local news/weather stuff.

YMMV of course, depending on what your needs are.  Just like Sling, they offer two plans.  The slimmer Core plan for $45 is a pretty good bang for the buck (drops some specialized channels like the PAC12 networks and such in the full plan) if you don’t need those extras.  Can sign up for Core and upgrade later if you want the extras.  Their support team is pretty responsive, though it is kind of weird to not just email someone for simple questions (they use a form system to submit tickets, but once one is open you can just email back and forth from there).

This likely won’t work, but in the remote case that TMO is actually connected to a geoIP service, the location correction could be made on that side: https://support.maxmind.com/correction-faq/submit-a-correction/can-believe-maxminds-geoip-data-incorrect/

A more comical approach...TMO could use their own SyncUp Tracker to locate all these misplaced routers. : )

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/devices/syncup-tracker

Userlevel 1
Badge

In its current implementation, yes.  In the future, the modem will need some sort of GPS receiver or something that can identify where the modem is located to tell the routing that it needs an IP address local to the physical location.  I can’t see this happening anytime soon as it would be somewhat of a combination between a CellSpot V2 and a Modem/Gateway to achieve what it needs to do.  

Don’t they already know which cell tower the can is connect to?  Seems like GPS would be unnecessary with the knowledge of all their towers. 

I use EyeStreamTV. There’s no geo restrictions. It has local channels for virtually every market as well as full sports packages and the major movie channels. I was worried when I switched from Spectrum I wouldn’t have enough bandwidth, but haven’t had any issues with T-Mobile Home. You can try it for free.

I installed the location guard addon on my browsers so I don’t have to verify my identity everytime I log into a banking or shopping site when the cell signal switches. You can set it to a fixed location.

Hey guys, there's an easy fix, but trying to get the answer is like pulling teeth. Unplug the TMO home internet gateway, then get a pin or paper clip and tap the reset spot on the back. Also turn the power switch off and on for good measure. When the 3 top lights are out and the front light is reddish orange, plug the power back in. When everything comes up green, the gateway should be reoriented back to your local area.

Badge

There is probably a manageably small group of services that provide IP-to-geographic-location information to a vast majority of websites.  

So, step one would be for T-Mobile to contact these web sites and give them the address ranges TMobile uses and a warning that any information about these IP addresses will be invalid.  That right there might be enough for my ROKU to stop showing me ads for Pittsburg, PA.

Sonce TMobile does know our locations (based upon what tower we are using),tep two would be for TMobile to give the IP-to-Location services an API they can call to get an up-to-the-minute accurate location.

Do you read these threads, TMobile?

OK, let’s roll… and, hey...Lets be careful out there.

I’m having issues with the t-mobile geolocation with my wife’s VPN. Her job requires her to connect through VPN, but the “Okta” service reroutes all her traffic to the closest VPN server from the IP she is connecting from. Although we get good bandwidth with our gateway, all traffic is being re-routed from AZ to WA or CA and that brings it to it’s knees. Right is experiencing 1% of the capacity with her VPN connection because it is not local to her company in AZ. I know there are multiple DBs out there that get refreshed every week to every month on the location of the IPs by the providers, but this has to be a job of the provider, not the customer since most of us get a dynamic IP anyway.

There are several locations for customers to “fix” their IP locations:

https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/

https://www.whatismyip.com/ip-address-geolocation-incorrect/

… but then again, this should not be the job of the customer since the IP given, can change at any time.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

There isn't any geolocation function built into the gateways, so your location is determined by your dynamic IP address.

I’ve found that changing the dns server on my router in AP or Router mode corrects my location. If you’re only using the T-Mobile device you can only change the dns settings in network settings on your network adapter. I’m currently using dns.watch, but any of the major ones like Cloudflare, Google, OpenDNS etc should work. This isn’t going to fix geolocation issues for wireless streaming unless you’re using your own router.

My IP from T-Mobile is consistently in the NYC, New Jersey area and I live in Western NY. If I look up my geolocation using https://www.gps-coordinates.net/my-location it’s less than a block from my house since I made the switch.

If your TMobile Home goes down for any reason you may have to reset to use default dns to connect to the internet. Then you can set it back to a dns that does geolocation.

I had this same problem with the IP address showing me in Boston.  I am in Gaithersburg, MD, which is a northern suburb of Washington, DC.

There was a suggested solution of resetting the Gateway, but I thought I would try a simpler method.  I just turned off the Gateway for a couple of minutes and then powered it back on.

The iplocation.net app reports I am in Baltimore.  Well, not too far off.  I can live with it.

Badge

I’m in Phx, AZ. I got the original 4G Tmo-HI in Oct 2020. It constantly showed my location, based on my public IP, as being in Los Angeles, CA, somewhere near LAX. That’s 400 miles away.

I have a FireTV adapter that I use to access several services, and I get local ads for southern CA, and even political ads for CA. I don’t get anything for AZ or the Phx area.

I switched to their 5G modem several months later, and they started building a new 5G tower about 1000 feet from my house. I noticed the public IP would switch between a Phoenix IP and one in the LA area. I talked to someone in their ABQ tech center and was told that once the 5G towers were fully operational, then I’d see Phx-based public IPs all the time.

What has happened is the opposite: all I get now is from a different location in downtown LA that usually shows up as Compton, Anaheim, or just LA.

I’ve spent several hours on the phone with their so-called “technical experts” in the Philippines, and they just keep saying it’s either my equipment or because the system uses dynamic IPs. My equipment is located behind the device and all are assigned 192.168.12.xxx IPs, whether they’re connected via WiFi or wired ethernet. My desktop computers are all connected via wired ethernet. And they do NOT have GPS chips in them, so there’s no way for them to say what their location is.

Nor does my FireTV device have a GPS chip in it.

I can verify that the public IP address IS, in fact “dynamic” as it does change from time to time. But it’s pretty much ALWAYS: 172.58.16.xxx, which is always in SoCal, 400 miles away.

I do not understand why these people refuse to acknowledge that they are doing something that makes the use of GEO-IP worthless.

The only reply I got from them was, “it seems your internet service quality is not impacted by this, so we don’t consider it to be an issue.” That’s true, if you ignore the fact that every eCommerce site I get onto like Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc, thinks I’m located in a 900xx zip code in LA County.

I have tried turning the trash-can modem off and unplugging it and leaving it that way overnight, then restarting it a few times, but it made no difference. My public IP still says I’m in Los Angeles, CA.

I do not understand why this is of no concern to them. I don’t buy their argument that it has anything to do with “dynamic IPs” or even that my public IP is assigned “randomly” and “for security purposes”. 

I’m not interested in California politics or SoCal businesses or anything like that. I live in Arizona. Why can’t they assign me a public IP *SOMEWHERE* in Arizona or in the general Phoenix area?

This is more than just a little bit irritating. Living in central Ohio and having Michigan show up as my home has turned out to be a problem in multiple ways. Sometimes, the location is even further away. So, it affects searches for weather, job offers (one of us is looking), simple things like Craigslist. Twitter gives me topics of interest for Dearborn.  It’s an irritation several times a day. There’s no way to just fix it? Lock it in? T-Mobile has to be linking to a local cell tower, shouldn’t there be an easy upgrade to fix this?

Badge

I am locked out of NY Yankees broadcasts on MLB.tv even though I am located in New England. My Apple TV ip address is set by the T Mobile router and the MLB app can’t make sense of the private ip address.  Contacted T Mobile support and they will supposedly fix the problem within 24 hours.  We will see.

Badge

I am locked out of NY Yankees broadcasts on MLB.tv even though I am located in New England. My Apple TV ip address is set by the T Mobile router and the MLB app can’t make sense of the private ip address.  Contacted T Mobile support and they will supposedly fix the problem within 24 hours.  We will see.

Update:  Waited 24 hours, rebooted T Mobile internet, rebooted Apple TV and problem not solved.  No solution in sight.