Question

International pass not working.

• 21 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I purchased a 30 day international pass for my wife’s Iphone 13 for her trip to Romania in January of 2023.  I did not accompany her on the trip. She could not get it working during her visit.  She had to rely on WIFI connections the entire time.  We made sure that roaming was enabled and we also tried #RON# with no success.  My sister in law had the same issue in February.  She also has an Iphone 13.  We all have the Magenta MAX 55+ plan.  My wife’s phone and mine have ESIM’s but everything I’ve read says the ESIM shouldn’t make a difference. My wife is planning a return trip in April 2023 and would really like to be assured that T Mobile will work as advertised.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did she try changing the apn settings for the local network that Tmobile partners with?

Maybe @drnewcomb can shed more light than me.

Badge

She did not try that.  When I looked into your suggestion it appears that these settings can not be changed on an Iphone with ios 9 and above. There is a setting under “Cellular Data Options” for “Voice and Data” which defaults to “5G Auto”.  I’m wondering if the “LTE” option might be better.

Did you get any resolution to this? I am also facing the same issue.

I activated 30 day international pass for my spouse and my lime, but i was not getting any benefit. I had to pay $1700 balance for my locked devices (which was supposed to be paid till sept 2024) so that i can activate another e-sim. On activating additional sim, i got the speed for data (not from t-mobile, but from other local sim) t-mobile was also connecting to same local network but i was not getting services via t-mobile.

during my stay, the bill generated, where they charged me for international pass as well as all the local calls i made via t-mobile sim. T-mobile is pathetic and i am definitely going to port to another provider.

Badge

I did not get a resolution for this.  I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with a T mobile rep and she said there wasn’t much that could be done because my wife was back in the states.  The rep stated we should have called while we were experiencing the problem.

Thank you Elliot for your reply. Trust me, that’s not the case. I am on day 11 of my 4 week international trip, every time i called T-mobile, they said that this issue is not in their hand as the local service provider/network is not upto the mark. I visited 3 different state and cities and every time the same local network (on another device sim) was working fine. I am not going to rely on T-mobile for my international trips. I was not able to do any transaction or monitor my home because of poor coverage and speed while I was in motion, this resolved only after I unlocked my device by paying a hefty amount of money to t-mobile, and linked another e-sim.

Badge

It’s unfortunate that T mobile seems to have issues with international service.  My wife’s phone is unlocked and she still had issues.  In my case we may have to purchase an Esim for the next trip.

I bought a 15MB data pass while traveling in Spain and had no luck getting it to work. I searched many forums and finally called T-Mobile. On the first call, the agent “reset my network connection” on her end (whatever that means), with no result. I tried again the next day, and the second agent told me to turn off 5G in the Cellular Data Options on my iPhone, and set the Voice & Data option to LTE. That changed everything! 

Why doesn’t T-Mobile just print these instructions on the webpage where they offer the data pass? It’s a simple step that EVERY user needs to do when using the pass abroad. I wasted so much time searching and calling, when the answer was so simple.

Like with any other company, we need to call different techs for support (some of them do nothing and just give us the faster fix-nothing we can do; however, there is those dedicated workers who know their stuff and are willing to go the extra mile or ask for a supervisor- who may or may not know the technical aspects.