Solved

International Roaming in India

• 6 October 2019
  • 4 replies

I am a TMO customer for last 10 months. I do substantial amount of international travel. I am currently in India and I took a Consumer Global Plus plan that gives you unlimited voice and 15 Gb of data . This worked seamlessly in Mumbai with no issues. As soon as I landed in Indore which is another town in central part of India, my phone is not connecting to any cellular network. I spend my entire day yesterday with TMO suppprt to resolve this issue but no luck. They also got Apple support who also looked at the issue and found no issues. They opened up the ticket with their Engineering team 25378726 .   

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 6 October 2019, 03:12

View original

4 replies

Indore is a city where T-Mobile's coverage map shows 3G or better service. Having said that, T-Mobile probably needs to have a team of engineers just to keep track of roaming issues in India. It probably has something to do with the fact that each carrier in India operates something like 21 separate networks, almost one for each state. There seems to be an almost constant litany of complaints about roaming in India. Just search this forum for "India" and you'll see what I mean.

i agree with you but the sad part is that TMO tech support has

no clue of these issues and they waste So much

of your time in some troubleshooting steps. Engineering team is extremely slow in reacting and this is the only US carrier who has so much issues.

I am planning to move back to ATT or Verizon whose reliability is priceless and they are much more serious about

their network than TMO.

Well, I wouldn't blame you. The only time T-Mobile's international roaming failed me was once in Singapore, when an undersea landslide cut some submarine cables and all carriers were temporarily affected. Of course, I've never been to India. However, my experience with AT&T's customer service was that it was even harder to get past the script-reading robot to someone who could actually talk like a human, than with T-Mobile. I think the difference was that once I got there, someone actually solved the problem and got back with me in a week to make sure it was working. That's where T-Mobile falls down.

T Mobile Unlimited cellular data worked nicely almost everywhere in Delhi and numerous villages, small and large cities of Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, West Bengal with iPhone 14 Pro in September and October 2022.

Received slow data, but good enough for Messages (text SMS), Email and WhatsApp. Occasionally, I had to switch off the iPhone and reboot it up to help it to re-login to the best signal cell tower.

Did not work in rare isolated exceptions in Raipur and Asansol. Worked in all airports I used in India.

No surprise shock bill charges by T Mobile after the trip. Yes, I have received the bill that covers the travel period in India, after returning back to the USA.

Slow speed data is therefore indeed included free by T Mobile in India, and for me, it worked nicely in the states mentioned above.

I have the Magenta Unlimited plan. I do not work for T Mobile, nor does anyone in my family or friends.

These were my phone options → Settings : Cellular → then Cellular Data : On (Green); Cellular Data Options : Roaming On; Personal Hotspot : Off. T-Mobile Turn On This Line : On (Green); Scrolled down and confirmed that all the desired Data-driven Apps were On (green).