Question

iPhone 13 Pro - eSim - Use in Europe with another carrier via Sim card?

• 26 June 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’ll be traveling to Italy in September. I have an iPhone 13 Pro with an eSim, on T-Mobile. while I know I can pre-buy international plans from T-Mobile including those with data, on my last trip in 2017 I found that the data speed availability (then with my iPhone 6S) was 2G if lucky, and generally below; that was essentially useless. I don’t know which carrier(s) T-Mobile uses in Italy, but it was dreadful.

For this year, I’m considering buying a SIM card over there. However, since I don’t have a SIM card in my phone now, I don’t know how this is going to work. Will it totally disable the eSim? Will I have to go back to a T-Mobile store in the USA upon my return to make the eSim work again? Or, will it revert to the eSim when I remove the Italian SIM? Will I have to “wipe my phone” in order to do any or all of this?

I want to use the phone for navigation while over there, so reasonably good data is essential. I could barely get email or messages over 2G back in 2017 and do NOT want that again.

Suggestions?

2 replies

I have essentially the same questions (same phone and carrier etc) but will be on a river cruise through multiple countries in Europe. I paid $50 for sone kind of international data pass program for some  15G capabilities. But interested in the answers to your questions regarding the SIM card option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

T-Mobile doubled the speed of their free roaming data to ~256 kbps. It was not actually “2G” but rather, whatever data was available, throttled by T-Mobile to ~128 kbps. Many people don’t know that Google Maps has a feature that allows you to download the map data for an area when on WiFi and use slow or no data when navigating.

About using a SIM, The phone needs to be SIM-unlocked. This can (and should) be done permanently once this phone’s EIP is paid off. I think iPhones can be temporarily unlocked ITMT. People do what you’re asking about all the time but I’m not an iPhone guru and can’t tell you how.

I’ve recently seen discussion about Airalo, which is an eSIM that works internationally or in specific countries. https://www.airalo.com