Question

New phone in Mexico

• 3 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I had to buy a new phone (unlocked) while I was in Mexico which came with an ATT sim card. While standing at the counter watching the ATT sales person get my phone ready I told her that I had a T-Mobile SIM card which still worked (thankfully it was not damaged in the broken phone). She finished setting the phone up and then switched the ATT SIM card with my T-Mobile SIM card. Everything seems to be working, I am receiving calls and texts from my regular number. 

So what's my question? Well, am I okay on the new phone? Am I using the T-Mobile service (it appears to be that way). Will I still have international (i,e, Mexico) text, data and phone? I'm a bit nervous about this, hence the questions to the community.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile roams on one of the native Mexican cell companies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

By “then switched the ATT SIM card with my T-Mobile SIM card.” you mean that she removed the AT&T SIM and inserted your T-Mobile SIM?  That should be OK. What make and model phone did you buy?

Badge

I purchased an unlocked Samsung A32 4G. And yes, she took out the ATT sim card and inserted my T-Mobile sim card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You may need to replace this phone when you return to the US. According to GSMarena.com this phone lacks both bands 12 and 71, which are the two bands T-Mobile uses for rural and indoor service.