Question

Unlocked phones will work overseas?

• 10 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am on a family plan where internet is free in 215 countries. I see a lot of brand new 5G phones on Ebay that are either unlocked or on Simple Mobile or Mint or Metro mobile which all use Tmobile network. Does that mean they will work overseas my with Tmobile plan?

What determines workability on overseas with Tmobile plan? Is it the Tmobile software on the phone that makes it work overseas? (Some of these phones dont have TMobile software) Or is it bands/frequency of the phone? I read on other topics that FCC ID is needed to determine if it works on Tmobile? 

Can someone help?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The main deciding factor is the band support for of the device compared to what bands the roaming partner has deployed.  Different carriers use different bands and devices don’t always support them all or anything close.  Especially Asian and Chinese specific devices.  Compability for T-Mobile sold devices in Europe is pretty good.  Especially on flagship devices.  The most compatible devices globally currently available from T-Mobile are the iPhone 14’s and Samsung s23’s

Badge

The main deciding factor is the band support for of the device compared to what bands the roaming partner has deployed.  Different carriers use different bands and devices don’t always support them all or anything close.  Especially Asian and Chinese specific devices.  Compability for T-Mobile sold devices in Europe is pretty good.  Especially on flagship devices.  The most compatible devices globally currently available from T-Mobile are the iPhone 14’s and Samsung s23’s

So if the band of the phone is important then it does not matter if it has the Tmobile software is installed or not right?

The wider of the band in the phone the better? Are all Samsung S23s regardless where they come from have the same band?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Samsung implementation for bands are limited by the firmware and software the device is running.  Different countries and carriers use different bands for their cell services.  That is where the wider band support is useful on a device when traveling.

The Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 is also capable of satellite connectivity, which will be limited to texts at first, when that service is activated.