Telecoms. Time to step up!

With the corona virus disrupting lives of countless americans every day it's time telecoms step up and do away with data caps, data throttling and limits on texts and calls on ALL plans. People are going to have to be on their devices more than ever now with people working and doing school from home and people staying in contact with friends and loved ones in quarantine. A good gesture is to do away with the aforementioned restrictions. I know most plans are "unlimited" but a throttling over 50 gigs (or whatever limit depending on plan/carrier) is in fact a data cap/limitation. Are kids supposed to stay up til the wee hours to do school work so they are not doing it during times they would be throttled? Will families have to allocate time of day for members to be online as to not slow down speeds? Some of these things can't be helped (reception etc) but telecoms need to do their part here. As a T Mobile customer I'm looking to my telecom to step up and be the first. I ask all customers to chime in and request the same.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It doesn't say anything about data caps.

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/03/t-mobile-metro-unlimited-data-mobile-hotspot-coronavirus/

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/03/dish-t-mobile-600mhz-coronavirus/

Thanks for pointing that article out; I hadn't seen it. It does not mention doing away with throttling however. I have unlimited data BUT throttling over 50 gigs. Also they haven't removed data caps on their hotspots only added 20 gigs. I can blow throw that in a week.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

That's one way to cripple the network.  I can see it happening and people would think T-Mobile is throttling, but in reality majority of users just using more bandwidth than T-Mobile can provide.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

We don't impose any blanket throttling at 50 GB. What will happen is if a tower is super congested, we'll give priority to those who haven't used over 50 GB yet. I've gone over 50 GB before and the only time I noticed was when I went into New York City. But it will vary depending on the congestion on your specific tower. We have some additional frequently asked questions here.

Userlevel 3
Badge

That's why I switched to Verizon.  I get a real network with real coverage.  No fake 5G or unlimited excuses like you get with T Immobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That's why I switched to Verizon.  I get a real network with real coverage.  No fake 5G or unlimited excuses like you get with T Immobile.

Verizon will also throttle you under certain circumstances and conditions.  There is no network that covers 100% of America, no carrier even comes close, and every network has it’s gaps, regardless of carrier.  You are still confused about the whole, fake 5G thing and how the technology works.  AT&T was the only carrier that changed their icon to read 5Ge using 4G radios, transmitters, and technology.  When it comes to the 5G implementation T-Mobile chose.  I will take consistent 200+ MB’s down over close to Gigabit speeds where I can’t move a millimeter or the connection will drop down to 4G.  The type of device you are using, the areas 5G are available in, and how congested the network is in those areas, can greatly impact how the service is as well.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Verizon will also throttle you under certain circumstances and conditions.  There is no network that covers 100% of America, no carrier even comes close, and every network has it’s gaps, regardless of carrier.  You are still confused about the whole, fake 5G thing and how the technology works.  AT&T was the only carrier that changed their icon to read 5Ge using 4G radios, transmitters, and technology.  When it comes to the 5G implementation T-Mobile chose.  I will take consistent 200+ MB’s down over close to Gigabit speeds where I can’t move a millimeter or the connection will drop down to 4G.  The type of device you are using, the areas 5G are available in, and how congested the network is in those areas, can greatly impact how the service is as well.  

this poster is just trolling the site here..

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

this poster is just trolling the site here..

I know.  I just replying to them with some facts though.  Then they reply, making the self look even more ridiculous with their fictional claims based on nothing. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Sorry, I DON’T AGREE! Some of us have smaller plans ($$$) because we just don’t need as much and certainly don’t want to pay for more than we need! :wink:

Badge

It would be stupid not to have a better retail ask leading out of the epidemic, for people considering working for home and ready to use 60 GB a month regularly. Then again there are business lines to negotiate instead.

Making their baseline business free was an option, but then it turns out they sometimes pay payroll. And stuff.