Question

Where does T-Mo inform customers that canceling any line of service excludes you from promos for 90 days?

• 23 February 2022
  • 5 replies

I have several T-Mo lines, most of them I pay for.  Several years ago, I took advantage of a promo for a tablet that gave me lifetime free data.  I stopped using the tablet long ago, and in October decided to cancel the line -- it was free, and I never used it, I thought, so why should T-Mobile bother to keep it on my account?  I called T-Mo customer service and did so, while at the same time I upgraded my voice lines to Magenta Max +.  A couple of weeks later, I called to take advantage of a new phone promo, and after going through most of the process, was informed that I was ineligible because I had canceled a line and could not use ANY promo for 90 days.  This even though the line I canceled was free, and canceling meant no revenue loss to T-Mo.  I said I had not been informed of this when I canceled the line and would not have canceled had I known it, and was told by the CS rep (my “Expert”) that it’s T-Mobile’s policy.  I asked how was I to know that, and was told sorry, it’s T-Mobile’s policy.  

I still seem to be unable to take advantage of promos, and I am wondering where  - and whether - T-Mo’s Terms of Service inform the customer of this.  

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's usually in the fine print of the promo.

Thanks, Gramps!  I just looked at the current “Get up to $1000 off with trade on Magenta MAX” promo, and I didn’t see anything relating to this.  (Incidentally, it seems I can only see this offer if I do not log in to my account.):

Get up to $1000 off with trade on Magenta MAXVia 24 monthly bill credits when you trade in an eligible device and have or switch to Magenta® MAX.

How to get this offer:

Get up to $1000 off:

Samsung: Galaxy S21+/Ultra, Galaxy S20+/Ultra, Galaxy Note 20/Ultra, Galaxy Note 10/10+/lite, Galaxy Z Flip3, Galaxy Z Fold3, Galaxy Z Fold2, Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Z Fold

Apple: iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max

Get up to $800 off:

Get up to $400 off:

1. Have or switch to Magenta® MAX plan.
    Already a T-Mobile customer and not sure what plan you're on? Check here to see your current plan.
  2. Purchase a Samsung Galaxy S22 series, Galaxy S21 5G series, Galaxy S21 FE 5G, Galaxy Z Flip3 5G, or Galaxy Z Fold3 5G on a monthly payment plan and pay the applicable sales tax on the pre-credit price at time of purchase.
  3. Trade in an eligible device in good condition:
  4. Receive a one-time bill credit based on your trade-in value, and the balance of the offer via 24 or 36 (Galaxy Z Fold3 5G) monthly bill credits, totaling up to $1,000.

If you cancel before 24/36 credits, credits stop & balance on required finance agreement may be due; contact us.

Contact us before cancelling service to continue remaining bill credits, or credits stop & balance on required finance agreement is due (e.g., $1,199.99 - Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 128GB or Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 128GB). Tax on pre-credit price due at sale. Limited-time offer; subject to change. Qualifying credit, service (MAX, Plus, or Business Unlimited Ultimate), & trade-in (e.g. $1000 - Samsung Galaxy S21+ / $800 – Samsung Galaxy S21 / $400 – Samsung Galaxy S9) required. In stores & on customer service calls, $30 assisted or upgrade support charge may be required. Z Fold3 finance agreement & monthly bill credits over 36 months for well-qualified customers. Up to $1000 via trade-in credit & bill credits; must be active and in good standing to receive credits; allow 2 bill cycles. Max 4/account. May not be combinable with some offers or discounts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If your not signed in those promo prices and terms may be for new customers.

Actually, I think these promos are open to new and existing customers:  “Get up to $1000 off with trade on Magenta MAX Via 24 monthly bill credits when you trade in an eligible device and have or switch to Magenta® MAX.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I know they use to have it that if you canceled a line within 90 days you needed to reactivate it and then add the line to avoid people from canceling lines to jump to a promo.

@tmo_mike_c  maybe Mike can help.