Band 71

aielcaracarn

With 5g coming on 600mhz, will that mean that 4g lte will not be on band 71 anymore? My area didn’t have coverage till band 71. And, my phone isn’t 5g capable. So, if band 71 is taken by 5g, does that mean no coverage for me again?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Band 71

IMHO, the only reason that T-Mobile is deploying 5G on band 71 is so that the customers' phones will always show "5G". When you look at the throughput gain in 5G it really doesn't mean that much until you are able to aggregate a lot of high-band spectrum.

To answer your question, it looks like T-Mobile will deploy 5x5 MHz of their 600 MHz licenses as LTE and the rest as 5G NR. So, our LTE band-71 phones will have the benefit of low-band service but not much bandwidth. Also, AFAIK, Vo5G is not defined, so voice calls will still have to be carried by LTE. 

• aielcaracarn

Thanks. Good to know that it doesn’t mean total loss of service. Band 71 has been like a miracle in our area. Went from absolutely nothing one day, to coverage everywhere the next. Not the best speed in the world, but 10-15mbs sure is a lot better than 0mbs.

• tmo_mike_c

You shouldn't have to worry about your coverage in your area with 5G. It's an improvement, but we'll make sure we take care of folks without 5G capable devices.

• magenta3466467

I guess I am still confused. When I look at devices on the T-mobile site; I see band 71 list on many devices. The sync up drive 2, LG stylo 5.  Is 4g LTE band 71 different from 5g Band 71 but both on 600mhz???

I went through alot of trouble and money over the summer to upgrade our devices to band 71 600mhz capable devices in anticipation of this. (knowing our tv stations moved in October.

But as I see the 5g page only lists two phones.

Thank you!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • gramps28

The LG Stylo 5 in not a 5G device unfortunately and the only 5G phones that Tmobile is going to have

available are the Note 10 5G and the McLaren One Plus 7 Pro 5g.

You'll still get 4G/LTE with your phone.

• drnewcomb2

For the immediate future, 5G phones are going to be $1K+ devices. Unless I lived in one of the very congested urban areas (e.g. NYC) where 5G is currently deployed, I wouldn't bother for the next couple of years. You just don't gain that much for all that expense.

• magenta3466467

The original poster was talking about the new 600mhz "nationwide" 5g. Not the mmwave in a few city blocks.

It's just very confusing because I thought my existing devices that support band 71, 600mhz would work.

Here is the links for reference. This just came out yesterday.  My area looks to be covered now--whereas before it was not.

Our 5G Network Coverage Map | T-Mobile

• drnewcomb2

Right. To the OP, the 600 MHz band will be split between LTE and 5G. They've never really deployed more than 5x5 MHz of band 71 for LTE, anyway. The rest (ranging from 5x5 to 20x20, depending) will be 5G.  5G phones should be able to aggregate both 5G and LTE signals for better speed. 

• alex86

Yes I am not the only one. I just posted a separate thread. Tmo outright lied to us for the past two years about future 5g phones, band 71, 600mhz. Now suddenly they are saying o no we are limiting the band 71 and now only two phones we are selling q4 2019 and the rest 2020 will have 5g. And you have people on here like this guy Gramps trying to claim this never happened. Why did T-Mobile lie for two years about future 5g phones and band 71

• baeloro

So much misinformation. When I purchased my v30 (early 2018), Tmobile was already discussing the 5g rollout, planning for a merger with sprint, to utilize their high and midband spectrum. What a lot of people don't seem to understand... 5g is the same as 4g. Period. The ONLY difference is that it is a new 'standard' where a specific identifier (5 instead of 4) is used to differentiate between the old and the new. This happens all the time in all industries. Newer versions of stuff is iterated upon and minor improvements are made.

What does this mean for 5g? It means you guys need to shut up and do some homework with your carriers and devices. 5g is not universal. Nor is it easy to understand. At att? 5g means an improved 850mhz band rollout and a sub 6ghz high speed band coming soon. For Sprint this means merging with Tmobile. For Verizon, this means rolling out new 28 and 39 ghz band in the millimeter wave spectrum.

For Tmobile? This means an initial low band rollout (rural/buildings penetration) at 600mhz with a mid/high band rollout on sprints network resources later, after acquisition...

What does this mean for people like me, who purchased a phone with band 71 support? It means your device will benefit from 5g speeds on the 600mhz network and you won't see anything that shows you it's 5g instead of 4g. You will still see the same LTE/4g icon and you will notice slightly more robust connections and speeds. For idiots who think you need a 5g symbol to tell you it's working? You'll have to buy phones with band 71 support.... still. It can say 5g on it and have a blinky light (v40, lol) and it still won't get 5g connectivity unless you actually have the band support for 71 on tmobile.

From what we can gather from past rollouts? Band 71 will become active soon as tmobile turns the switch and the only way we will see a 5g symbol on older 5g devices is if there is a software update pushed BY TMOBILE for it.

Otherwise, enjoy having a very good 5g phone for the last 2 years, while everyone else rushes out to buy a '5g capable' handset.

In summation? Current 5g is going to be hit or miss on ATT and verizon, while tmobile and sprint are going to hit everyone in the country with an actual 5th generation iteration of solid LTE. Once merger completes, Tmobile might even work to acquire Comcast. They want to provide home internet and cable services too. Total package.