All replies

• alex86

And yes....they did....and have been selling them many years before the roll out. The only reason there was a roll out was because they had to wait for tv stations to clear this frequency. And it has taken years. Tv has actually cleared early in most locations.  So they absolutely did sell them. Because they bought the spectrum years ago and said if you are expecting 5g you need a phone with band 71. Now only to go back on that and say oooo you need these two new phones because we segmented the band in 2019.

• shima1970

To add to this discussion, why is LTE Band 71 not lit up where 5G on 600 mhz is? I'm in Grand Rapids and have yet to see B71 where (it didn't already exist) show 5G 600 coverage. Where B71 was previously available pre 5G it's fine. When will the B71 turn up happen to fill in the missing coverage areas especially where B12 is saturated?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • alex86

Common Sense is lacking with your poor attempt to bury the truth.

• alex86

If you have a for sure band 71 enabled phone it is possible you have to force it onto band 71. If band 71 is in fact in your area. (I see GR is lit and have been jelly for a while/years over here in metro Detroit)

Iim between a band 12, band 66 and band 2 tower. My signal bounces around them all day unless I force the band in a secret menu.

• syaoran

I think you are confused about band 71.  T-Mobile has stated that band 71 will be used for future 5G service as well as current LTE, but that doesn't mean and T-Mobile has never claimed that any band 71 capable phone will work with the 5G implementatiin on band 71.. 

• alex86

Yes I am confused....about why they decided to segment band 71 in 2019. Going back on everything they said for the last two years minimum about needing band 71 for 5g and you just had to wait for the roll out if you bought one. Now telling us no we decided to segment the band so only two phones will work that you must now upgrade to. Just like I posted....I am confused...why they did that to us.

• alex86

Also I missed what is probably a key part of what you said. You are now NOT getting band 71 in areas you previously did? Only after this new December 5g roll out?

• shima1970

I am getting it in areas it was already deployed, however it's not yet in many places that have 5G on 600mhz.  It's still B12 in many areas areas and it's not so usable due to saturation. 

• shima1970

Also if someone knows a way to force the pixel 4 unlocked to B71 I will try it.

• alex86

Ah I see. Well that would also support my argument. They engineered a new segment and will force upgrades. Considering your b71 won't even work where its 5g only. I can tell you how to do it for LG v 30+ 40. Dial (277634#*#) however it's different per manufacturer. I just did some breif looking and am not sure how for the pixel 4. It could be in developer mode or not. Sometimes these menus are called the engineering menu, secret menu, developer etc. To get a pixl to unlock developer options you would:

Open the Settings app on your Pixel 4 or 4 XL and scroll down to the bottom. Tap "About phone," then scroll down to the bottom again. Now, tap "Build number" seven times in quick succession. You'll be prompted to enter your lock screen PIN, and after you do, you'll get a toast message that says "You are now a developer!"

To access the Developer options menu, scroll down towards the bottom of the Settings app and tap "System." Tap "Advanced" to expand a few more options, and one of these will be "Developer options."

You could also try to dial (*#*#4636#*#*) no brackets to see if it will still open testing mode.

Some common search terms are force band selection, lock band, engineering menu, secret menu. It's possible you can't on the pixl with out root.

• syaoran

A word of advice for anyone considering messing with the Engineering menu on a device.  You can render the device unable to connecting to a network by messing with the band selection.  Some of these settings are not reset even after a factory reset.  You have been warned! 

• alex86

Screenshot_20191207-144502 - Copy.pngPretty sure that is older devices. Example my v40 has 4 ways to reset the radio. No selection + save = auto/factory radio setting. Pressing "reset" also does the same. Selecting any combination of radios and pressing save does the same. A factory reset does also reset the radio. I did hear the warning before I ever messed with it. But that seems a bit 2008. Edited to include screen shot of how easy and not scary it is.

• syaoran

Resetting the radio and altering how the device selects bands and carrier aggregation are somewhat different.  2008 devices were a lot easier to correct because you could just rewrite the modem, which usually included the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) in the firmware.  That isn't always that easy today, but does vary by device.  More and more newer devices have partitions that are not over written, even with a factory reset.  If you are not familiar how to factory restore your device with LG Up, then messing with the radio is not something I would personally suggest.  Your device though, your risk. 

• alex86

I randomly picked a year because I never understood the hyped up danger. I also think it is counter productive to needlessly warn people away from using all of the features their device has built in with no root or os changes required.

Also I am clearly familiar with it. It was me giving someone else some information on how they might find how to do it. How about you tell him what the menu code is for his pixl 4 instead of a needless warning to me....lol im the person telling him to do it. I have been using this menu for over a year sometimes daily with 0 problem requiring a factory reset ever.  Why? Because when you have 3 towers surrounding you on 12, 66, 2 and 12 is beyond oversaturated the network becomes bordering unusable unless you can force yourself off of 12. So why warn people away from something incredibly easy. Litteraly pressing a button.

I'm not sure when everything became apple or when people decided everything should be decided for them but it is depressing.

• syaoran

I wouldn't call the danger hyped.  Most people don't seem to realize that settings in these menus can render the device unable to connect to a cellular network.  The reason manufacturers hide these settings is because it can mess up the device, which they obviously want to minimize the users ability to do so.  When people mess with things they don't understand, it can result in issues.  As someone who has converted, flashed, and even used NV edits to enable bands on devices.  I am aware of the risks.  You may feel comfortable messing with things but basically saying it is risk-free isn't the case. 

1 2 3 4 Previous Next