Question

4G/5G icons but no data connection at all

• 16 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

My phone shows the icon that it is connected to 4G/5G but has absolutely no data connection at all. This happens primarily at my work location but it has never been a problem in the past. Do the icons actually mean anything at all or are they just there to make people think they have service? Yes, I’ve talked to a tech and they did their thing but it did not help at all. I’m to the point where I may have to change carriers….again. Are any of them consistently dependable? Why would my phone show a connection when it clearly does not?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

im more curious as to why its showing both 4G and 5G at the same time when it should only be showing one or the other.

since it primarily happens at your work location its safe to say something is up with the network there..tower issues or possibly towers being worked on.

out of curiosity do you start getting reception on any of the other sides of your work place? if you do then whatever tower you are connecting to is on that side and having to try and get through the building to get to you.

Badge

To clarify it is not displaying 4G and 5G at the same time but it doesn’t matter which it shows there is no data connection. It seems that others here are having the same problem here so it must be a local tower issue. Now I’m wondering what the point of the icons are at all when it shows connection but there is no access to the internet, seems a bit devious. There should be some type of test or error to indicate where the problem really lies or at least acknowledge that there is a problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

not that the bars are accurate but how many bars is it showing usually? unless you have a complete loss of signal it’ll show whatever connection its connected to no matter how low it gets..if you normally had signal at your work but then it changed odds are either the main tower you usually connect to is down, getting upgrades or worst case has an issue and it hasnt been reported to them as of yet.

you can call in but contacting TMO through either Facebook/Twitter will land you with higher tier support compared to the call in agents..you’ll want to have them create a network ticket to have that tower looked into.

Badge

I’ve always got at least 3 bars so I don’t think those mean much either. As far as Twitter and Facebook...no thanks to social media.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you can try their chat feature either through the site here or app..but its more miss than hit availability wise.

you can request the call in agents open a network ticket as well..just keep in mind that the call in agents are a lower tier support