Question

4G and LTE Data network speeds terribly slow

• 4 September 2020
  • 29 replies

Badge

Amid the pandemic lockdown, I’ve been indoors and mostly reliant on wifi. Today I had an outage and relied upon t-mobile data to carry me through the day and it let me down. Right from the morning, I either had no connection, or speeds of 0.2Mbps with very choppy connection. I tried calling Tmobile customer rep, who was kind enough to walk me through several steps to try resolving the issue. In the end he suggested me to switch off LTE for the time being to get around 2Mbps. An hour after that, the connection dropped dead for several hours. Now its back again with speeds around 1 Mbps. Tmobile customer reps are swearing that there is no outage reported in my area and I am the only customer with problems. I know there are no issues in my phone as data connectivity is fine in other neighbourhoods, and my wife also sees same issues as me. My neighbours are on ATT and they have no issues. I even stepped outdoors and walked around my neighbourhood to test for internet connectivity speed. While it is better than what I get inside my home, it is still less than 2Mbps. How can I convince tmobile to send engineers to this area and test connection speeds on the ground with their device? 

29 replies

@ChipDrone I would caution you that if you are going to go with Mint Mobile or Google Fi, I believe they are both MVNOs that operate on T-Mobile's network; you would want to go with Visible (Verizon) or Cricket (AT & T?) to truly have a different network experience.  Just trying to be helpful.

Id recommend calling 611 and getting actual technical support.   I had issues in one location where service was strong, but speeds were around 500kbps.

It took effort and escalation, but was upgraded.  If you have an older device, I'd recommend trying the Tmobile free upgrade to 5g with a Samsung A32 for an exchange of any working phone according to Tmobile

Speaking for myself, 611 is my only contact point with T-Mobile. I’ve been bounced around between multiple reps and escalated to their tech support experts to no avail. I’ve never been interested in paying for a carrier-supplied phone, whether locked or unlocked, and certainly have no interest in Samsung OS with the cruft they wrap around Android, coupled with their slow to nonexistent system updates when new Android versions are released. I’ll only use an Android One or Pixel phone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Id recommend calling 611 and getting actual technical support.   I had issues in one location where service was strong, but speeds were around 500kbps.

It took effort and escalation, but was upgraded.  If you have an older device, I'd recommend trying the Tmobile free upgrade to 5g with a Samsung A32 for an exchange of any working phone according to Tmobile

Chipdrone, 

If you are able, give what I suggested a try.  Unfortunately, reps do not have the technical understanding to try things like that.  It has been occurring with multiple people where I work and it may be the solution to your issue.

Hi @rj_king - I did read your suggestion before I posted. I’d be willing to hold a coathanger overhead if it would help, but I am unwilling to put my phones into Service Mode, disable LTE band 12, and redo that each time my phones are rebooted.

I am in Connecticut, zip 06850, Android phone, having exactly the same issues, very slow internet, I can not watch youtube, netflix, nothing, on top of that I have a high school student at home. I have done several speed test and  I got between o.4 and 2.5 mbps, I have done speed test in friend’s homes and they have speeds of 25 mbps and above. So the problem is Tmobile. I have spent many hours on the phone with Tmobile technicians trying to fix the issues, no luck so far, what they say is that there is some kind of work in the area and it will finish soon, no specific date. I am going to wait one more week and if the issue is not fixed I will cancel this very bad service Tmobile is providing. 

I’ll have to add a “me too” to this thread, with screenshots. Here in NW Austin Texas, I’ve been suffering from 500 Kbps (0.5 Mbps) download speeds at home & nearby over 4G LTE with the same phone that had previously measured well over 20 Mbps download inside an office building pre-pandemic. I use an inexpensive Nokia 6.2 and my spouse uses my hand-me-down Nokia 6.1. She is getting around 1.5 Mbps when tested at the same time (still pitiful, but roughly 3x my download speed). When testing our phones speed, we make sure one is in airplane mode (Tmo data OFF, Wifi & Bluetooth OFF) while the other is being tested. 

I’ve spoken to multiple very friendly & articulate customer service reps but nothing is improving the situation. I went into a company-owned Tmo store that happens to be just a few hundred yards from my home to duplicate the problem. At the same time my own phone was pulling 0.5 Mbps download speed, an iPhone (4G model, NOT a 5G phone) was getting 20 Mbhps! That's while the store rep could see that one local tower had a ticket open because it was running at degraded capacity. The store rep destroyed my SIM card and burned me a new one, but... no change in download speed.

Today I decided to check bandwidth in my backyard then drive off to three other sites where I knew towers were located. Same awful bandwidth everywhere. See my pictures, including one of a tower in the very parking lot where I was testing - https://photos.app.goo.gl/b2Q4FVcBA4pJtZHV7

On Monday morning I will let Tmobile know that they will be losing a customer of 14 years, one who has paid for four lines of service continuously for all those years. I'll port my number to Mint Mobile first and if that doesn't work well I'll move to Google Fi.

If anyone has any last-minute thoughts, whether from the community or from Tmobile support, I'd love to hear ideas. But needless to say, right now Tmo has lost my confidence and we never plan to return.

Chipdrone, 

If you are able, give what I suggested a try.  Unfortunately, reps do not have the technical understanding to try things like that.  It has been occurring with multiple people where I work and it may be the solution to your issue.

I’ll have to add a “me too” to this thread, with screenshots. Here in NW Austin Texas, I’ve been suffering from 500 Kbps (0.5 Mbps) download speeds at home & nearby over 4G LTE with the same phone that had previously measured well over 20 Mbps download inside an office building pre-pandemic. I use an inexpensive Nokia 6.2 and my spouse uses my hand-me-down Nokia 6.1. She is getting around 1.5 Mbps when tested at the same time (still pitiful, but roughly 3x my download speed). When testing our phones speed, we make sure one is in airplane mode (Tmo data OFF, Wifi & Bluetooth OFF) while the other is being tested. 

I’ve spoken to multiple very friendly & articulate customer service reps but nothing is improving the situation. I went into a company-owned Tmo store that happens to be just a few hundred yards from my home to duplicate the problem. At the same time my own phone was pulling 0.5 Mbps download speed, an iPhone (4G model, NOT a 5G phone) was getting 20 Mbhps! That's while the store rep could see that one local tower had a ticket open because it was running at degraded capacity. The store rep destroyed my SIM card and burned me a new one, but... no change in download speed.

Today I decided to check bandwidth in my backyard then drive off to three other sites where I knew towers were located. Same awful bandwidth everywhere. See my pictures, including one of a tower in the very parking lot where I was testing - https://photos.app.goo.gl/b2Q4FVcBA4pJtZHV7

On Monday morning I will let Tmobile know that they will be losing a customer of 14 years, one who has paid for four lines of service continuously for all those years. I'll port my number to Mint Mobile first and if that doesn't work well I'll move to Google Fi.

If anyone has any last-minute thoughts, whether from the community or from Tmobile support, I'd love to hear ideas. But needless to say, right now Tmo has lost my confidence and we never plan to return.

I believe I have a solution for many of you.  I too started experiencing awful data performance at work, where my LG G8 would suddenly stop transmitting or receiving any data even though having more than 3 bars on LTE (calls and texts went through fine).  To make a long story much shorter, I installed Network Cell Info Lite and determined that whenever my phone connected to LTE band 12, all data service stopped working (NOTHING would load) and once my phone connected to band 12, it would STAY connected to it even after restarting.  Because band 12 has better signal propagation than the other bands here (such as band 66), I found that I could only keep data service by leaving my phone in the window.  Just recently I found out from a coworker that I could put my phone in “service mode” and disable band 12 completely and this has been successful; I can use my phone anywhere inside and not lose data service.  Putting your phone in service mode will be different for each brand of phone and you should be able to Google how to do it for your specific phone (you may also have to redo it each time you restart your phone).  Good luck and I hope that helps you all!

Screen shot shows enough bars but page never loads see my speed test coyld not finish even on multiple attempts.

Internet at home gone terribly slow on T-mobile phone. It used to be ok. I even cannot check the internet speed as page does not load. So sad to see this if does not improve soon I may look other places for better net services. area code 79119.

I'm starting to suspect it has something to do with the 5g rollout too. I have 4 lines with 4 different models of phones and all are experiencing the same thing across the country. Even restored 2 phones with no improvement. It's not getting any better, it's getting worse. It feels like they are replacing the 4g antennas for 5g and sacrificing 4g capacity.  We might end up switching to another carrier if we can't get reliable service back.

Denver, co. Bad service at belleview and kipling area. 80127. Can't use my phone at all in my driveway. Have to use cell spot in my house to make calls. Today at wads and belleview, no data. I had 5 bars, but no data. Seems like service is getting worse, and literally unusable in major highly populated suburban areas near major cross streets. T-Mobile please fix this or we will be forced to go to Verizon.  It didn't used to be like this, I'm wondering if the 5G towers have anything to do with the degraded service. It's been like this for about 9 months now.

@Beast101101 im currently having the same issue. Im in zip code 96818 and im on an Android device. Samsung galaxy s10+. im seeing speeds at 0.2mbps download and 0.12mbps upload... I called multiple times. They tell me that the service they're seeing is fine on their end. Finally after like the 10th time calling, they tell me they'll send a technician blah blah. The normal bs yanno.. but they walked me through the troubleshooting and ill see a very drastic change. One of the times i saw it at 60mbps download and 40mbps. So i know what its capable of. Most of the time around 10-30mbps for both. But it'll last anywhere from 10 minutes after i get off the phone with them to 4 hours. And boom. Can't do anything. I'm actually really curious to know how a new sim card is doing for you. They told me they checked mine and it was fine apparently. Looking forward to your reply. Best of luck. 

Same thing, I spent hours on the phone doing the same steps including getting a new sim card and trying it on different phones. When I was with them on the phone after troubleshooting my data improved but it lasted no more than 30 min, same thing was at the store, the minutes i walked out, upload went to 0...I am not sure what i am paying for since not using my phone line at all...

I am having exact the same issue in Miami. It is so annoying not sure what is the solution. Any ideas? Or switching provider is the only one?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

SoCal is a pretty big area.  I don't have these issues north of LA.  If you could band select B41 and pick either Sprint or T-mobile depending on location.  5g phones can be strange with service and give worse performance in some areas.  Several 5g sites have been enabled in my area and in parts of the San Fernando valley.

Badge

We are seeing 0.7 to 2.5 M download and 0.02 to 0.2 M upload in Southern California since 01/11/21 using a T Mobile Lumia 521 with 4G support.  The problem is 24/7.  80% of the time, there is no data flow and the website would time-out.  Switching to an AT&T MVNO SIM card fixes the problem.  I also tested the T Mobile SIM card in another phone with 4G LTE support.  Speed is around 40 M, for now.

I believe T Mobile is aware of the speed issue with the 4G and 4G LTE bands.  Root cause is probably the integration of T Mobile’s and Sprint networks.  Switching to AT&T towers would be best if there is coverage in your area and the price is par with T Mobile’s.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Reminds me of a few places in Los Angeles.

‘IF’ there is a way to set this on your phone (Android users can do this, typically), Try and select LTE Band 41.  This will force you to Sprint (roaming must be enabled).  Sprint has a lot of spectrum in many areas.  Here in SoCal, I’ve been hitting +200Mbps on Sprint B41 (where I find it).  

Eg.  Woodland Hills on One Plug 8 5G - ~1-2Mbps with full signal on T-Mobile, and once, it (by itself) flipped over to Sprint B41, and I was hitting +200Mbps.

File tickets - or T-Mobile will just continue as usual.

I am getting this same coverage at 95131, 95035 and most of place I’ve been. I always check because everything taking too long to load. There is one place in Milpitas that I got about 60-70mbps but because I was close to the tower and on a weekend in industrial/commercial area. I am guessing less people less congestion.

If the area too congested, do something about it!!! It so terrible and I just bought a couple of new phone so stuck on this awful coverage.

.05-.12 mbps!!! Wow! this is like a 3rd world country! I was in Philippines and I would say it was a lot better there!!! This is so terrible! 95133 area code too!!!

Same problem!!

I'm 300 ft away from the T-Mobile antenna and the speed is awful between 1.2 - 2.84 mbps.

I'm using a Galaxy Note 10+ with essential plan, but the first 2 days with this plan the speed was 57 - 168 mbps.

What's wrong with you T-mobile? 🤬

I am experiencing this and went through the steps in this thread.  In 38104.   Any new information?

@Beast101101 im currently having the same issue. Im in zip code 96818 and im on an Android device. Samsung galaxy s10+. im seeing speeds at 0.2mbps download and 0.12mbps upload... I called multiple times. They tell me that the service they're seeing is fine on their end. Finally after like the 10th time calling, they tell me they'll send a technician blah blah. The normal bs yanno.. but they walked me through the troubleshooting and ill see a very drastic change. One of the times i saw it at 60mbps download and 40mbps. So i know what its capable of. Most of the time around 10-30mbps for both. But it'll last anywhere from 10 minutes after i get off the phone with them to 4 hours. And boom. Can't do anything. I'm actually really curious to know how a new sim card is doing for you. They told me they checked mine and it was fine apparently. Looking forward to your reply. Best of luck. 

Been on with tech support for the last 45 min because I have the same issue....       .20 mbps download, upload is at .01mbps....   I have an LG G8thinq at zip code of 97702...they walked me through all the steps that everyone else has talked, about with ZERO improvement, and then they recommended a new SIM card.... I'll let you know what happens when I get it. They put in a "ticket" to try to resolve the issue. We shall see if I continue service. 

What type of phone do you have? either way, try to do a full network reset. make sure network is registered to tmobile lte when you do near by search of networks, just in case you are not roaming around, even if you are at home. It’s to make sure your bands are set correctly. and of course make sure things are under us and under automatic/lte etc if you see it.

assuming it’s tmobile, for android and iphone, do this and reboot if it does not by it self.

Home screen, tap Settings > General > Reset.Tap Reset Network Settings.Type in the device password if prompted.Confirm selection. good luck :]

Thank you. I tried that. No luck :(

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What type of phone do you have? either way, try to do a full network reset. make sure network is registered to tmobile lte when you do near by search of networks, just in case you are not roaming around, even if you are at home. It’s to make sure your bands are set correctly. and of course make sure things are under us and under automatic/lte etc if you see it.

assuming it’s tmobile, for android and iphone, do this and reboot if it does not by it self.

Home screen, tap Settings > General > Reset.Tap Reset Network Settings.Type in the device password if prompted.Confirm selection. good luck :]