Question

5G?

• 18 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

My motorola z3 play was acting up so got new phone today. Great deal. No 5G phones or with qi wireless charging under 500 normally. Got a LG VELVET today. Tmobile is 588 dollars. Costco is 530. But today 50% off. Not sure for how long. But 275 today total with tax. Not bad for a 5G phone.

Anyhow all is good but no 5G shows on the top of my phone in my house 60062.  Just 4G or LTE.  Went about 7.5 miles away today to run an errand and saw 5G for the first time ever.  Does the cellspot signal booster I have affect that.  Should I disconnect that.  Or my area just has no 5G.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

quick answer? they are needing to upgrade all of their towers now that they have had all the Sprint customers landing on their network. theyre currently upgrading towers but its going to take time to do what theyre needing to do to them.

for some jumping back to just using 4G has helped out until they get upgrades in those areas completed.

I have been a T Mobile customer before it even became T-Mobile.  it was Voice Stream when I first joined.  I recently purchased an iPhone mini, primarily for the 5G.

I live in a metropolitan area, with coverage that is supppose to be good.  If I am lucky, I get two bars.  Many dropped calls and almost impossible streaming.  What gives with this once great company?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Also, check this site for ‘5G’ service:

https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-noroam-5

Similarly ( https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=310&MNC=260&type=LTE&latitude=42.184999867827&longitude=-87.84614524225759&zoom=14.601467764191128&showTowers=true&showTowerLabels=true&clusterEnabled=true&tilesEnabled=true&showOrphans=false&showNoFrequencyOnly=false&showFrequencyOnly=true&showBandwidthOnly=false&DateFilterType=None&showHex=false&bands=41&showVerifiedOnly=false&showUnverifiedOnly=false&showLTECAOnly=false&showENDCOnly=false&showBand=41&showSectorColours=true&mapType=roadmap

Looks like some B41 and n71/B71 in your area… mostly at train station/highway locations.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

One Plus 8 5G - Model IN2017

I have hit +700Mbps on this device… often.

Software version 11.0.1.1.IN55CB, Android 11 

NOTE:  Android 11 has (in my case) a bug with this device and bluetooth for vehicles.

Badge

Which exact one plus did you get?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

With the LG Velvet, make sure that you obtain and run all of the updates.  At least 1 is for carrier aggregation with 5G and multiple LTE bands.  I did have one of these - and it was a decent device.

I warranty exchanged this for a One Plus as LG Velvet doesn’t support 5G SA, only 5G NSA, making places like NorthernMI LTE only.

Badge

On the way to the airport got a spike of 277mbps.  But most 40-70mbps.  So about 2-5 miles from the house I got it.  Just not my house I guess.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

not sure if the booster you have works with 5G or not but if you had to travel that far to pick up a 5G signal then the towers closest to you have not been upgraded to 5G yet...TMO is currently doing quite a bit of tower upgrades so yours might be on said list..just unsure of when

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Your area where you live probably isn’t 5G capable yet.  Where I live in Hampton, there is 5G all around me but not within a few miles of where I actually live.  We just have to wait patiently.