5G

Badge

I am nearly 20 year customer back when T-Mobile was called VoiceStream. Most of that time I lived in Seattle and didn't mind their service sucks in the country. But 6 years ago I moved to the suburbs, less than 8 miles from the corporate office and my service sucks! I call and complain once a year. their 4G personal cell spot isn'tmuch help. this year I was TRICKED into upgrading my working cell to a new 5G and told there is 5G in my neighborhood that will be better than current service. It was a LIE! The phone says it's on 5G but the quality is far worse than their 4G!!! AVOID THEIR 5G!!!

10 replies

Badge

@marshiii Sounds like a coverage issue to me. Get in touch with your Team of experts so that they can check the location and the network status and remedy the situation.

But if you don't mind me asking, what is the make and model of your 5G device?

Badge

In some areas the strength of 5G technology is only good for outdoor usage and might cause some reception issues whenever used indoors.

You can also click on this link and use T-Mobile Coverage Map for reference.

Badge

sorry dude your answer doesn't hold water. I primarily use my cell outside in my neighborhood and a T-Mobile rep told me the 5G service was BETTER than 4G in MY neighborhood. 

Badge

Well if it’s happening outside of your neighborhood then this is a possible device reception issue specifically on 5G technology. It’s simple to confirm it, by changing the Network Mode of the device and make it run solely on 4G. Power cycle the phone and run some test on Voice, Data and Messaging service.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

sorry dude your answer doesn't hold water. I primarily use my cell outside in my neighborhood and a T-Mobile rep told me the 5G service was BETTER than 4G in MY neighborhood. 

so test it then..run a speed test using 5G and then switch your mobile network to 4G LTE and test again..

what they told you SHOULD be happening compared to actually physically being there and using it are two different things..all they can do is look at their coverage map..YOU are the one actually there connected to it.

I live in LA and 5G sucks! My phone will show full bars but nothing loads! And calls get dropped all the time. I want to go back to 4G

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

so manually go into your mobile settings and change it away from 5G..and to 4GLTE

which phone do you have?

Userlevel 1
Badge

They dont tell their customer service reps what is going on either, dont be surpised.

I cant use discord or games on 5G anymore either despite the fact that they use far less bandwidth than watching youtube, twitch, or those video conference applications. I have to downgrade to 4G LTE which has higher response times (5G’s 40ms to 4G LTE’s 60ms) to access everything, and lately service has been a complete roller coaster and unstable.

The last time I talked to them, they said it was a device issue, but I know when something is being blocked. If a VPN manages to connect, everything starts working again...on 5G...which confirms Tmobile is actively blocking the applications I am having trouble using.

What makes it worse, is considering they want to “benefit those in rural areas” that are locked to monopolizing companies like AT&T yet focus all their data in cities where there are multiple other ISPs.

Basically, they are screwing themselves over along with their customers in that “get rich quick” mentality. If they actually focused the areas that needed Tmobile home internet for example, there wouldn’t be so much “congestion”. 

and frankly, while I hate AT&T, their connection was far more dependable and at least I can go out and fix any connection issues without calling tech support.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would like to add that the reason that 5G suites my purposes more than 4G, is that I live in a rural area and 4G LTE is very very spotty and inconsistent (constantly between 1-4 bars, while most often 1-2 bars with a lot of 20-30ms jitter) while 5G maintains a steady 3 bar connection and a nice constant low latency. Big whop however when i cant even use it for its intended purpose and reason for purchasing it.

Well I have been all over the place! I had been a Verizon customer for over 15 years and was ok with their 4GLTE services in my area. As soon as I was Tricked  into “Upgrading” to 5G with them my services were so horrible that I decided to switch to TMobil which promised that my services were way better then Verizon as it showed on their coverage map. My phone never works at all! They changed my device and then my SIM card with no improvement! Not to mention their mixup on charging me for someone else’s phone and plan for almost 8 months. They then corrected that! But I’m ready to head to ATT that other family members currently have on 5G and are happy with! Wish me luck in this 5G worm hole they threw all of us in!