5G coverage

• 17 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

I was an AT&T customer for 20 years but I succumbed to TMobile’s advertising. I decided to switch to TMobile on the 14th November 2020 and how I regret it. I was assured that I would get 5G in my house. I do not. I only get one bar and the call quality is awful. I have called several times to try to get technical help but to no avail. There is nothing wrong with my phone. It is a brand new iPhone 12. The cell towers in my area need to be looked at by TMobile engineers. They do not work properly.If this situation is not resolved in 4 days, I will be switching back to AT&T. 

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Use your time wisely.   T-Mobile hasn’t always had the best for ‘coverage’, and you’ll possibly spend a lot of time waiting for T-Mobile engineers to tell you to:

1. Use WiFi (ughh)
  2. Get a cell booster/mini tower

Cellmapper isn’t compatible with iPhones, however, if you have a computer with a browser, you can search it.  Similarly, not including 5G, this map should be able to help you  https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-noroam-34l

Badge

Thank you for your reply and your advice. I shall make note of your suggestions. I should know better about the hype that cell phone companies put out. I’ve been beating myself up since Saturday the 14th Nov! Thank you again.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

From the fact that you have a new iPhone 12, I assume that you’ve traded in your old AT&T phone to T-Mobile. I always recommend that people considering switching to T-Mobile:

1. First, test the service to see if they’ll have coverage where they need it.
  2. Delay handing over any trade-in devices until they’ve satisfied themselves with the coverage. If you do this you can still jump back to your previous carrier under “buyer’s remorse”. Your trade in vanishes into a black hole as soon has you hand it over.

How’s the coverage outside your house? Is is just an indoor issue?

Badge

Hello, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I did trade in my iPhone 8. I now have a 12 but that’s okay. If I switch back, it will work on AT&T. The reception outside my house is also poor although TMobile tells me that there is a cell site about 1 mile away. I only get 1 bar both inside and outside my house. The call quality is also sub standard. Static and scratchy. Thank you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

one bar of 5G or regular 4G/LTE?

Badge

Hello. Well, sometimes the 5G icon shows and sometimes it doesn’t. Either way, it’s always 1 bar.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

switch to LTE without the 5G part and see if things improve..theyre still in their early stages of 5G deployment so its not solid as of yet..might be what you are seeing currently. if no improvements then switch back to 5G/LTE

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I did trade in my iPhone 8. I now have a 12 but that’s okay. If I switch back, it will work on AT&T. The reception outside my house is also poor although TMobile tells me that there is a cell site about 1 mile away. I only get 1 bar both inside and outside my house. The call quality is also sub standard. Static and scratchy. Thank you.

That’s unique on the calls being scratchy.  Typically VoLTE (4G LTE) calls are excellent, IMHO.  This may have something more to due with lack of signal.  I have both AT&T (1-2 bars at home) and T-Mobile 4-5 bars at home.  AT&T’s voice quality has improved over its previous 3G AMR codecs, but I haven’t found it to be on par with T-Mobile’s VoLTE (esp HD voice) calls.

change to LTE without the 5G part and check whether things improve. There still in their beginning phases of 5G sending so its not strong as of yet. Might be what you are seeing presently. on the off chance that no enhancements, at that point switch back to 5G/LTE https://myaccountaccess.live/