Question

5G Gateway SSID Naming

Badge

Hi,

Is it possible to name a network on a 5G Gateway that allows spaces?  Example: The Lan Before Time instead of TheLanBeforeTime.  The main reason is to keep my network running on the same router name/password so I don’t need to do it manually with a new name.  I’m using the app and it doesn’t permit this.  Does anyone know if this can be done?

13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Perhaps you could wire your old router to the gateway.  My own system is setup like that and my old SSID and passwords are preserved.  That approach took less than 60 seconds. 

BUT - to answer your original question, I do now know if spaces are allowed in the Gateway-network.  

Badge

I would like to know this too. I just got T-Mobile home internet, and I was very disappointed to find out that it won’t let you put spaces in the SSID. A space is a valid character, and every other wireless router I’ve ever used allows it.

The problem is that I have a bunch of wifi-connected equipment that I bring back-and-forth between my home and my office for work, and the wifi network that these NEED to connect to at the office has a space in the SSID. (I have no control over this name.) I would like to use the same SSID at home, because it would be extremely inconvenient to have to reconfigured the wifi in all my devices every time I bring them to/from the office, and I was hoping to not have to hook up additional wifi equipment to accomplish this, but I guess I’ll have to.

Most places you can’t use a space you can replace it with an underscore _.

The_Lan_Before_Time may be the best you can do if spaced aren’t allowed.

Good Luck!

Badge

And that’s fine in most cases, but in my case, the SSID name must be identical to the one at the office, or it’s going to cause me a lot of extra work when moving devices between the office and home.

Following. Having exactly the same issue - would like to use identical SSID name what my other networks are. 

Badge

I gave up and plugged my wireless router into the T-Mobile gateway. I changed it from router mode to access point mode. It seems to solve my problem, although it’s not as clean of a solution.

Same issue here. I’m going to call support and ask them to update my T-Mobile gateway/router software or send me another manufacturer’s device that will allow this. 

Same issue here. I’m going to call support and ask them to update my T-Mobile gateway/router software or send me another manufacturer’s device that will allow this. 

Any luck with that?

I’m gonna look into this my theory is if I can inject the desired ssid when saving and bypassing the page rules it might work. 

It’s very foolish on t-mobiles part to give this trash to a business, looks very unprofessional “Mc_Donnalds_Free_Wifi” 

Badge +1

Hi,

Is it possible to name a network on a 5G Gateway that allows spaces?  Example: The Lan Before Time instead of TheLanBeforeTime.  The main reason is to keep my network running on the same router name/password so I don’t need to do it manually with a new name.  I’m using the app and it doesn’t permit this.  Does anyone know if this can be done?

There is no technical restriction against having embedded spaces in SSIDs.  The SSID for my home network is so named.

However, what T-Mobile’s software will allow you to do is a different story…  Frankly, I would follow MelTX’s suggestion and plug your 5G gateway into your router and use the gateway for the purpose it was intended -- a gateway -- and use a real router to set up your network.  Configure your router appropriately and you should have no problems.  You can probably dump T-Mobile’s app completely after doing this.

I’ve been a professional software developer for a long time…  When I see or hear about horseshit like this, it’s a sure sign that the exclusion of spaces in SSID names is masking some other (probably more insidious) bug that either T-Mobile or it’s cut-rate contract software development company in Bangalore or Hyderabad deemed too costly to fix.  Danger Will Robinson!

Hi,

There is no technical restriction against having embedded spaces in SSIDs.  The SSID for my home network is so named.

However, what T-Mobile’s software will allow you to do is a different story…  Frankly, I would follow MelTX’s suggestion and plug your 5G gateway into your router and use the gateway for the purpose it was intended -- a gateway -- and use a real router to set up your network.  Configure your router appropriately and you should have no problems.  You can probably dump T-Mobile’s app completely after doing this.

I’ve been a professional software developer for a long time…  When I see or hear about horseshit like this, it’s a sure sign that the exclusion of spaces in SSID names is masking some other (probably more insidious) bug that either T-Mobile or it’s cut-rate contract software development company in Bangalore or Hyderabad deemed too costly to fix.  Danger Will Robinson!

You might be right or it could be a way to artificially push business to request their business tier routers for a surcharge. T-Mobile offers about 3-5 other gateways to businesses and enterprise customers which do allow you to do the ssid however you want including other things like band locking and port forwarding but there’s issue still. T-Mobile doesn’t seem to understand all we want is their new white g4ar & g4se router which has all the bands and external ports and usb c powered because no business should be using 5G for on location when fiber and starlink exist 😂 this is a portable onsite solution for mobile work, they keep pushing the false idea that this is suitable for home use when the gateway struggles with 2 devices using it at same time. 

-Cradlepoint E320 (✅)

-Inseego FX2000 you lose a few bands that are present on home internet gateways but you get stronger internal antenna (garbage)

-Another lower tier Inseego (garbage)

Badge +1

Zodyart --

T-Mobile can’t even provide reliable cellular service… I have no idea who in their right minds would rely upon them for inter-networking services!

What T-Mobile is exceptionally good at is:

• bait and switch;
  • glossy, feel-good advertising; and
  • content-free customer support.

Everything you want in an inter-networking solution...