Solved

5G sim card on iPhone 12

• 9 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hey guys. I just got the iPhone 12 from TMobile and traded it with my old iPhone 6. The iphone 12 came with a sim card but for some reason i switched out the sim cards without calling tmobile and now i have the old sim card in my iphone 12. The iphone 12 can make calls and stuff but ive noticed that the network speeds are still relatively slow. Im thinking because the old sim doesn’t really have 5G capabilities and i will need to switch the sims again to allow 5G on the iphone 12. A problem is that Ive already sent my phone back to tmobile and dont know how i can get that sim card back. Any ideas? do I just request another sim card and then call tmobile or is it possible they can do somethign with my current sim card in my iphone 12 and upgrade it somehow? Alsom in my cellular settings on my iphoen 12, it says i have a cellular plan of “4GB til 2/28/19 then 2.5GB” but under usage in the cellular settings it says ive used 100 mb out of unlimited data that i apparantly have…It also says i only have 4GB of high speed data on my tmobile dashboard to use. Is there some mistake with the 4GB/2.5GB part or something? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 10 November 2020, 00:31

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I would go into a store and get a new SIM card, unless you want to wait until your new device arrives, then activate the SIM it comes with.  Regardless, I would have the one you forgot in the phone you sent in, cancelled as soon as possible.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

So, let me understand this. You sent the new SIM back to T-Mobile along with your old iPhone 6??

T-Mobile recommends that you use the SIM that came with a 5G phone, which is usually a TM9263 or R15 SIM. Older SIMs don’t work as well.

However, the slow data speed of your iPhone 12 may just be due to the fact that your local network may not be fully upgraded. Sometimes 5G is only slightly faster than LTE. Often 5G phones report a “5G” signal when they just have a slight sniff of a 5G signal.

Badge

So, let me understand this. You sent the new SIM back to T-Mobile along with your old iPhone 6??

T-Mobile recommends that you use the SIM that came with a 5G phone, which is usually a TM9263 or R15 SIM. Older SIMs don’t work as well.

However, the slow data speed of your iPhone 12 may just be due to the fact that your local network may not be fully upgraded. Sometimes 5G is only slightly faster than LTE. Often 5G phones report a “5G” signal when they just have a slight sniff of a 5G signal.

yes pretty much this. Can i go to any tmobile store and they can replace the sim for me or do i have to go to the tmobile store i brought the iphone from since i am in another city?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Any T-Mobile store can sell you and activate a new SIM. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Any T-Mobile store can sell you a new SIM for $10+tax. Getting one for free be difficult.

I experienced the same thing (low speed on iPhone 12 with older/non-R15 nano SIM). After putting in the R15 SIM came with the iPhone12 in it, the speed (using speed test sites) went up significantly. Although the speed with the R15 sim card in the iPhone 12 here is just in the very low band of 5G, the new R15 SIM card definitely makes a difference. 

So if your area has t-mo 5G, you should definitely use a new R15 SIM with your iphone 12.  

New I 12 came with new sim card and tool to insert. Do I turn tool, push it in to open slot for sim card