Question

5G stand alone update

• 12 August 2020
  • 20 replies

Badge

Having both a oneplus 7t  pro 5g and a oneplus 8 5g when might they receive the stand alone update? As of today neither have any updates since June.

20 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The OnePlus 8 5G already supports SA and NSA on N2, N5, N41, N66, and N71. 

The OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren supports SA on N41 and N71. 

Badge

Yes but until TM updates the phone to activate SA on the 600mhz band you are left with data on N71 and voice on another much higher band. You are limited to the coverage of the much higher band in short.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yes but until TM updates the phone to activate SA on the 600mhz band you are left with data on N71 and voice on another much higher band.

Both shipped with SA supported!  T-Mobile does not update devices.  OEM's do.  The very little feedback and bloat T-Mobile offers to the OEM's to include isn't even worth mentioning most of the time. 

Badge

Then why did TM post they would be sending out a update to these phones stating it was a update to make the phones stand alone? As a point of interest neither of my phones have ever connected to voice on the 600mgz band even if parked next to the tower it is always data then voice is band 66 or 2.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Things also need to work on the network side.  Towers can easily be remotely updated and brought online.  In terms of device updates.  T-Mobile obviously has insight into when updates are being prepared and pushed. 

Have you considered signing up for the FUT program with OnePlus for your T-Mobile devices?  You will get beta updates and see how the testing and feedback actually works and get to interact with the development team behind the T-Mobile builds of Oxygen OS. You can find the threads and instructions on how to apply on the OnePlus official forums. 

Badge

I agree their latest is pushing the update for the oneplus 8 G  and sometime the 7t pro. To date nothing on the 8 G.

No I have not looked into the FUT program.

OnePlus does not update the 7T Pro 5g McLaren edition model # HD1925. Updates to this phone are provided by T-Mobile and T-Mobile only. OnePlus sends T-Mobile the firmware and T-Mobile does the 5G Network part. You can ask OnePlus and they will tell you themselves. That's why the HD1925 isn't in the OnePlus Updater available in the Play Store. If OnePlus was providing updates those who chose to could be running the Android 11 Open beta 7 OnePlus has made available to other model #'s. In fact this model isn't even offered for sale in the US except through T-Mobile. The other model of the 7T Pro McLaren edition are on completely different firmware and do not offer 5G that's the HD1913 dual sim international edition which does get it's updates direct from OnePlus and can be used with the Updater App. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

OnePlus does not update the 7T Pro 5g McLaren edition model # HD1925. Updates to this phone are provided by T-Mobile and T-Mobile only. OnePlus sends T-Mobile the firmware and T-Mobile does the 5G Network part. You can ask OnePlus and they will tell you themselves. That's why the HD1925 isn't in the OnePlus Updater available in the Play Store. If OnePlus was providing updates those who chose to could be running the Android 11 Open beta 7 OnePlus has made available to other model #'s. In fact this model isn't even offered for sale in the US except through T-Mobile. The other model of the 7T Pro McLaren edition are on completely different firmware and do not offer 5G that's the HD1913 dual sim international edition which does get it's updates direct from OnePlus and can be used with the Updater App. 

I have!  I am a OnePlus FUT member for multiple models, T-Mobile and OnePlus direct.  I know exactly how the process works and who contributes what.  

The OnePlus 8 5G already supports SA and NSA on N2, N5, N41, N66, and N71. 

The OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren supports SA on N41 and N71. 

OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren supports 5G: N71 (at launch); N2, N41, N66 (with software update)

Badge

Since I post this I have gotten the software update for the Oneplus 8 5g how ever still waiting for the software update for the 7T Pro 5G McLaren so the SA is turned on.

I have a OnePlus 7T 5G Pro as well, (updated SIM last week) and I work in Pittsburgh PA, and Braddock PA which is 8 miles away from my office and is part of the new mid-band this picture is from Braddock PA, and my phone doesn’t see the mid-band unless I’m missing something it but I do get the NR, my download is 380Mbps and upload is 68Mbps  

Badge

What the screen shot says is you are connected to 5g n71 and also connected to band 66 ( a mid band). Until they update the phone for SA that is all we will see on the the oneplus 7t pro 5g. I also have the oneplus 8g that has the SA update and that shows both cells. From info I have gotten the system will be set up to always select a mid band LTE along with a n71 for 5g operation only when there is NOT a LTE mid band present will the phone switch to all band 71 communications for 5G.

The Aug update did not contain the SA for the oneplus 7t pro 5g.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, one last question where do you see where the phone is connected to n71? 

Badge

Up in the top right corner you have 5g that means you are connected to it also in the LTE connection it shows connected to 5G. The only 5G TM has so far in general use is n 71.

When the oneplus 7t pro 5g is updated to SA it should show the same as the oneplus 8G with both cell connections showing in the connections .

Badge

Received the stand alone update this morning for the oneplus 7t pro 5G McLaren. Unlike the oneplus 8G it does not show the cell information for n71 on cellmapper for those looking for it.

This update is the long awaited update owners of this phone had hopes would be in the Aug 24 update.

Build number is 10.0.39.HD61C

I just got my SA update for my OnePlus 7t Pro 5G McLaren, and I can’t see the cell information either, thought I would check here and see if this was the case and if you had an issue with cell band information

Badge

Likewise no cell information on the McLaren for the 5G  n 71 connection. As a side note the oneplus 8g has very limited cell information shown. My guess is in the chip sets used in the two phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The 7T Pro is getting an update to stand alone 5G.

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/09/t-mobile-oneplus-7t-pro-5g-mclaren-standalone-update/

Since the standalone update, I've seen download speeds above 100mbps for the first time. Before, 80mbps seemed to be a limit. I'm in downtown Chicago.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes but until TM updates the phone to activate SA on the 600mhz band you are left with data on N71 and voice on another much higher band. You are limited to the coverage of the much higher band in short.

Here’s the issue with T-Mobile and not having devices with SA enabled…

Places like Charlevoix MI ( the actual county.. and many others) have only lowband LTE and low band 5G.  (B12 700MHz + B71 600MHz).  If you have a device like LG Velvet 5G, you’ll only have B12 ‘or’ B71 LTE (slow speeds due to limited spectrum).  If you have a device like the One Plus 8 5G… you’ll also have SA n71.

T-Mobile neglected to tell me that the LG Velvet does NOT support 5G SA, and I had to exchange it for a One Plus 8 .. which supports both 5G NSA and 5G SA.

I would have ~100Mbps on 5G SA in Charlevoix… or what I had… ~13Mbps on LTE.