Question

5G with 3 bars and service is bad

Badge

We’re visiting Pigeon Forge. Our phones say 5G and most of the time we have 3 bars yet the data rarely works. Is there something in settings that can be updated for our current location to make the data work better? iPhone 13Pro

5 replies

Hey there,

Tech guy here. Not completely an expert anymore but I used to manage a cell phone store with tech support. 

I was just here in Pigeon Forge for the Fourth of July and can confirm service was terrible on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. That part isn’t really important but your issue was the same as mine. 

I don’t know if my solution will be the fix next time you have an issue but go to your settings, find roaming, turn it off and on or vise versa, than turn airplane mode on and off. This weirdly worked for me but not when I just was trying the airplane mode trick. Good luck in the future and maybe this will help someone else in the future!

you might have to rinse and repeat. 

Userlevel 1

Most anywhere my phone has 3 Bars or less the service doesn't work or is very sloooowww.  5G and 5GUC is slower than 4GLTE in this case, when they even work at all.

I have the Galaxy S22 Ultra...

I’m in Pigeon Forge this weekend and can confirm same issue. Our phones consistently say 3+ bars of LTE but don’t actually have service. We were in nearby Gaitlinberg yesterday with the same issue.

yes, over than a week i can not use VPN connection.  I had too much trouble with my manager and IT, finally they solved that this is VPN problem with T-Mobile 5 G Home Internet. 
I had same issue when I work my previous company as well and that was the reason why I quite the job. I thought my manager was cutting of  of the access each time. Now, I know that all the problem is T-Mobile.  

Please reimburse my money back what I paid for!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

‘Bars’ aren’t the greatest measure these days, as 3 bars can be -115dBm (quite poor) on LTE, 2 bars worse than -120dBm, and bar typically worse than -126dBm.

Ironically, outdoors, it takes a pretty weak signal to hit -126 or worse… but I’ve hit -140dBm (basically no service).  Service gets choppy around -120dBm.

Ironically, B41 LTE effectively drops off completely (for me) around -116dBm, and device goes from 3 bars … to No Service and back to 3 bars.