5G with LG G6

• 11 September 2020
  • 27 replies

Badge

I just purchased an LG V60 as I am a huge fan of LG phones.  I still use my old LG G6 since it has items on it I still reference.  BUT I’ve noticed that the LG G6 4G/LTE is faster than the 5G on the LG V60! WTF???  T-Mobile’s 5G Sucks and is a total joke!! I purchased this expensive phone thinking I’ll benefit from the 5G service...NOT! I am thoroughly convinced that T-Mobile lied about the rollout of this service to get customers to buy expensive a$$ phones so they can make more money!

27 replies

Yea, I got a S20+ and I'm having the same experience. I like the phone though lol

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

It depends on where you are. T-Mobile is in the process of deploying 5G and it’s far from fully deployed in most markets. For people in areas where T-Mobile has not yet rolled out band-41 (2.5.GHz) 5G, it’s really a minimal improvement over LTE. So, unless one lives in a big city like NYC, Boston, Chicago or L.A. it’s probably not necessary to spend the money for a new 5G phone at this time.

I'm an uber driver in Los Angeles. I go everywhere and I test the speeds using the ookla app. 5g is always slower. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Have all of you got SIM cards with R15 printed on them? Many are saying that it makes a difference and allows you to connect to more towers running 5G antennas.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Have all of you got SIM cards with R15 printed on them? Many are saying that it makes a difference and allows you to connect to more towers running 5G antennas.

are you able to check through settings or do you have to physically remove the sim card to check?

Badge

Hi Sweetpeach!

I just googled if LG V60 phones come with this type of SIM card and it says no, but is highly recommended to swap out with the one you’re referring to.  But I am not giving T-Mobile any more of my money.  T-Mobile needs to get it’s ish together...the gentleman’s comment was so right on about not buying a 5G phone right now because it’s a total waste of money.

T-Mobile just straight up lies...point blank; whether intentional or not, they’re putting out information that simply isn’t true and the proof is clearly evident in the lack of performance.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

You’ll need to remove the SIM. R15 is printed on the plastic side of the micro SIM card itself. They’ll often swap it for free at the stores. Mine came with my Samsung Note 20 Ultra which may connect to additional frequencies.

Badge

Okay I'm going to check. Thanks Sweetpeach.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

You’ll need to remove the SIM. R15 is printed on the plastic side of the micro SIM card itself. They’ll often swap it for free at the stores. Mine came with my Samsung Note 20 Ultra which may connect to additional frequencies.

i’ll have to take a look. im still on the Sprint side so not sure if there will be a difference..i know that all 5G phones now from both sides get the same updates..just not sure about the sim deal.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

5g is not perfected but makes a difference where signal is low in other bands. generally using 4g is still better at some locations than other, or keep it under automatic. using a unlocked sprint phone, it uses the tmobile bands well, (wont fully show it, but its there) all bands and aggregation. after reasearch and patience, tmobile honestly has done well, but you gotta play with the phone’s settings, make sure it’s fully stable with ota or any other updates. make sure you test this 5g thing at another location and see if the 5g there works better, if it does the phone is providing all it can for now. test different speed test, some do not use good servers if you cannot choose one.

good luck :]

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

yeah i had to back down to 4G in my home area..5G just isnt where it needs to be there just yet..work town however is decent but pretty much on par with my 4G speeds if not just under.

i lived through the Sprint tower upgrades that brought in LTE to us..i can live through this as well lol

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

well, 5g is where it needs to be, obviously its a noticeable improvement if you pay attention at how 5g or 50g works. you are simply just unhappy with the current data speed is providing. give it time my friend. if you are young, research how 4g started, and lte and then 4g and lte together. you wouldn't complain. lol.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

lived through the Sprint tower upgrades that brought in LTE to us..i can live through this as well lol

like i said..this aint my first rodeo with tower upgrades and or it still needing work done.

ive been around long enough to remember the 4G Wimax Sprint was deploying then stopped deploying ;)

if memory serves im connecting to the 600mhz in my home town for the TMO side..

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Nice. fair enough.

are you able to use somebody’s phone if it has 5g and see if it behaves the same? remember, I think currently 5g is not aggregated.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

did...same type of results ish.. (they have a Samsung and they have their own issues going on currently lol). heck work 5G is on 1900 B2 i believe..

testing at my work location pushes most carriers limits since im in a warehouse surrounded by signal killing..well...everything lol..

home area though..that 600 just aint cutting it..at least for now..until they get it ironed out there im sticking to the 4G side only..better speeds and i dont buffer while trying to play Spotify..

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don’t honestly think 5g works with band 2, 5g I believe has it’s own signal or thru lte 5g.

find the hidden code for your phone and manually select band 71, leave it there and see how it behaves. sometimes on my phone, but not as often anymore it always preferred the farther towers instead of the ones near me, especially 71 and 66. lol.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

im on the Sprint side still….with a V60. i know Sprint tower wise i can hit the one near my work place with a kmart bb gun...TMOs towers i have zero clue..

same for the home town..i know where Sprints is but not so much TMOs...other than its borderline not usable..

i’ll have to ss my signalcheck results and post them later if i can remember..got one for my work area but not the home area.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

From my understanding, sprint side stopped 5g. all you can do is make sure everything is on, including roaming and data roaming. change manually to tmobiles apn as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

the TMO apn deal i have yet to try...and correct..they stopped the push on their 5G (when i mention 5G its TMO 5G not Sprints).. im north of Sacramento about a hour and a half..so not quite the sticks yet not quite big time city either..TMO never did all that well in either my work town or home town..usually the big boys were Sprint and V..with the changes i can see TMO making a pretty solid footprint in both.. it’ll take them a while but it’ll be a positive thing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

While you are at it. Register on T-Mobile by finding near by towers. On mobile/data settings by manually searching nearby providers, Then update apn. You will b able to use channel 2 4 12 41 I believe, 66 and 71

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

T-Mobile’s 5G in California is on n71 (600MHz sliced with B71), and in ‘some’ small areas - n41 (Sprint’s 2.5GHz service).  The problem with n71 isn’t range, but the fact that it’s typically deployed only on ~1/6 of the sites, those being large macros.

Eg.  In my location, there are 2 large T-Mobile n71 (B71) sites with 5G ~1.5 miles away.  T-Mobile’s 4G LTE site with B2/B4/B12 is ~2000’ away.   75% of the time, I’ll get better service off the local 2000’  away site, even though it is a smaller capacity limited site (~80-120Mbps) which will never go beyond 150Mbps unless updated.  The site ~1.5miles away gave ~250Mbps on LTE (fiber fed), and has peaked closer to 400Mbps with 5G.

If I’m at my house, and I’m connected to this 5G, I’ll get ~35-60Mbps typical.    Until T-Mobile updates sites with B12 to be B12/B71 / n71, or adds in Sprint’s n41… this is how it is.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

T-Mobile’s 5G in California is on n71 (600MHz sliced with B71), and in ‘some’ small areas - n41 (Sprint’s 2.5GHz service).  The problem with n71 isn’t range, but the fact that it’s typically deployed only on ~1/6 of the sites, those being large macros.

Eg.  In my location, there are 2 large T-Mobile n71 (B71) sites with 5G ~1.5 miles away.  T-Mobile’s 4G LTE site with B2/B4/B12 is ~2000’ away.   75% of the time, I’ll get better service off the local 2000’  away site, even though it is a smaller capacity limited site (~80-120Mbps) which will never go beyond 150Mbps unless updated.  The site ~1.5miles away gave ~250Mbps on LTE (fiber fed), and has peaked closer to 400Mbps with 5G.

If I’m at my house, and I’m connected to this 5G, I’ll get ~35-60Mbps typical.    Until T-Mobile updates sites with B12 to be B12/B71 / n71, or adds in Sprint’s n41… this is how it is.

yup.. even at my work location i can pull in roughly your home speeds..my home town however 5G can barely push Spotify..not my first run with tower upgrades and rough speeds..at least this go around i can switch to just 4G LTE and be covered fine until then.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

at my work location in connecting to LTE 1900 5G TMO B2

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Also to note… make sure that you have the latest phone/system update.  From my reading, T-Mobile is only supporting 3 devices with 5G SA.

According to T-Mobile’s own info - its only supported on 4 devices

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/latest-sim-for-great-network-experience

https://www.t-mobile.com/devices/5g-phones

Sadly, I’m stuck in a 3rd party spot between T-Mobile and LG.

LG claims the LG Velvet 5G supports 5G SA on T-Mobile

T-Mobile claims the LG Velvet 5G is incompatible with 5G SA… while posting a video from Neville sporting LG Velvet 5G with dual carrier SA.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

which device are you running?