Solved

After latest update, GS9 keeps defaulting to Cellular Preferred over Wi-Fi calling

• 25 February 2019
  • 68 replies

I have very poor (but existent) cellular coverage in my home.  I had no problems with setting Wi-Fi preferred for all of my calls/texting prior to the latest (large) update.  Now, I can select Wi-Fi preferred under Wi-Fi calling, however it never seems to save that setting.  As I am typing this, I have two outgoing messages that aren't sending (spinning circle) because the phone can't decide whether it wants to use Cellular or Wi-Fi.  I want it to use Wi-Fi because I know my Cellular coverage is horrible at my location.  I called into customer service today (somehow without a dropped call) and they made some adjustments on their end, however it fixed nothing. 

Even after selecting Wi-Fi preferred, I will go back to check a few minutes later and the phone has already switched itself back to Cellular preferred.  This is very frustrating.  What can I do to ensure that Wi-Fi preferred will be the default setting?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 28 February 2019, 00:37

View original

68 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Magma I was talking to the piece of work above you that posted (fireguy). This was never resolved and it's NONE of his business anyway. What is he doing in a thread that he's not experiencing the issue? I've had this issue for months now and it's driving me to the point of insanity. I had lived in an area with great signal and then I moved to a new home my wife and I bought that's in a T-Mobile dead zone. It's so bad I sometimes get the non-smoking sign on my signal notifier. So I'm not sure if this actually started sooner than August as I've always had WiFi calling disabled. But now that I need it, it simply doesn't work and notifies me every few mins that its changing the setting I selected, WTH?! Why would thisbevennbe turned on EVER?! If I set wifi calling to cellular priority or wifi why does T-Mobile care? And they make sure you can't disable the WiFi notification. Now I can use package disabler to disable the WiFi calling system app but I need wifi calling sadly enough now due to t-mobiles crappy signal. And when you go to report signal issues to T-Mobile they send you to a petition to get towns to allow towers?! What?! Just redirect a current tower or refit it with another antenna array?! This has me on my last nerve as I'm losing business because of it and T-Mobile doesn't even have the decency to respond?! 

Sorry I meant to reply to the other guy not you LOL however you're experiencing the same thing my wife and I are experiencing and I hate the fact that when I manually select Wi-Fi to take priority within 5 minutes it changes I think it should be up to me to choose what I prefer which is the exact same point you're trying to make is ridiculous that something so simple has gone on for so long.

I'm hoping one of their text representative or just anyone that works for them sees these messages and tries to fix it I've been on the phone with him a couple times and they just don't seem to understand what I'm trying to tell them.

Also if the program worked correctly it wouldn't be an issue however I can't understand for the life of me why sitting 15 feet away from my high-end gaming router with five bars of 5G Wi-Fi service it would choose one bar of 3-g over the Wi-Fi connection anyways lol but it does

Check your wifi connectivity as mine always gives me the notification when I lose wifi signal for even a plot second. So I get the message in my house at least 40 times a day on the weekends and like 15 during the week as I'm at work most of that time. As soon as I go to my bathroom which is on the other side from my router it happens. When I go into my garage, same thing, etc. So you need to make sure you're not losing connection. Check your wifi router logs to see if you are. I too have a gaming router, Asus AX11000 which is a $500 router and works great. I don't know why this stupid optimizing wifi is even a thing. If I set it to "A"  it should not try to switch to "B" for ANY reason! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Magma I was talking to the piece of work above you that posted (fireguy). This was never resolved and it's NONE of his business anyway. What is he doing in a thread that he's not experiencing the issue? I've had this issue for months now and it's driving me to the point of insanity. I had lived in an area with great signal and then I moved to a new home my wife and I bought that's in a T-Mobile dead zone. It's so bad I sometimes get the non-smoking sign on my signal notifier. So I'm not sure if this actually started sooner than August as I've always had WiFi calling disabled. But now that I need it, it simply doesn't work and notifies me every few mins that its changing the setting I selected, WTH?! Why would thisbevennbe turned on EVER?! If I set wifi calling to cellular priority or wifi why does T-Mobile care? And they make sure you can't disable the WiFi notification. Now I can use package disabler to disable the WiFi calling system app but I need wifi calling sadly enough now due to t-mobiles crappy signal. And when you go to report signal issues to T-Mobile they send you to a petition to get towns to allow towers?! What?! Just redirect a current tower or refit it with another antenna array?! This has me on my last nerve as I'm losing business because of it and T-Mobile doesn't even have the decency to respond?! 

Sorry I meant to reply to the other guy not you LOL however you're experiencing the same thing my wife and I are experiencing and I hate the fact that when I manually select Wi-Fi to take priority within 5 minutes it changes I think it should be up to me to choose what I prefer which is the exact same point you're trying to make is ridiculous that something so simple has gone on for so long.

I'm hoping one of their text representative or just anyone that works for them sees these messages and tries to fix it I've been on the phone with him a couple times and they just don't seem to understand what I'm trying to tell them.

Also if the program worked correctly it wouldn't be an issue however I can't understand for the life of me why sitting 15 feet away from my high-end gaming router with five bars of 5G Wi-Fi service it would choose one bar of 3-g over the Wi-Fi connection anyways lol but it does

Check your wifi connectivity as mine always gives me the notification when I lose wifi signal for even a plot second. So I get the message in my house at least 40 times a day on the weekends and like 15 during the week as I'm at work most of that time. As soon as I go to my bathroom which is on the other side from my router it happens. When I go into my garage, same thing, etc. So you need to make sure you're not losing connection. Check your wifi router logs to see if you are. I too have a gaming router, Asus AX11000 which is a $500 router and works great. I don't know why this stupid optimizing wifi is even a thing. If I set it to "A"  it should not try to switch to "B" for ANY reason! 

Thankfully my Wi-Fi is not dropping out hopefully soon they will resolve this issue however considering how long it's been going on I almost have the feeling that they don't care that and the fact that none of them have responded to any of these messages

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

😁

Hey, @drinktigermilk​!

Unfortunately, this is the first post that I've seen around the Support Community regarding WiFi calling taking a back seat to cellular after updating to Pie. We're still working to get answers on why this is happening and what we can do to fix it. In the meantime, we're using this thread: Official Android 9.0 Pie Discussion Thread to track user-reported issues related to Pie. When we have more info, we'll be sure to post it over on the linked thread.

This issue is not solved please do not mark it as such I'm using a Galaxy note20 as well as my wife is using the same phone and a lot of people are having this issue right now

seeing as how this issue was for the S9 and was posted a year ago...it was resolved.

My apologies if I came across rude that was not my intention at all however I don't see where this was resolved I may possibly be overlooking it but I've read through this thread several times thank you for your time and assistance

no worries.. this original issue popped up a year ago specifically with the S9..the most recent blooper though now covers not only the S9 but pretty much all the way up to the newest released Sammy devices...which came in a couple months ago after a security patch if im remembering right..

Userlevel 2
Badge

😁

Hey, @drinktigermilk​!

Unfortunately, this is the first post that I've seen around the Support Community regarding WiFi calling taking a back seat to cellular after updating to Pie. We're still working to get answers on why this is happening and what we can do to fix it. In the meantime, we're using this thread: Official Android 9.0 Pie Discussion Thread to track user-reported issues related to Pie. When we have more info, we'll be sure to post it over on the linked thread.

This issue is not solved please do not mark it as such I'm using a Galaxy note20 as well as my wife is using the same phone and a lot of people are having this issue right now

seeing as how this issue was for the S9 and was posted a year ago...it was resolved.

My apologies if I came across rude that was not my intention at all however I don't see where this was resolved I may possibly be overlooking it but I've read through this thread several times thank you for your time and assistance

no worries.. this original issue popped up a year ago specifically with the S9..the most recent blooper though now covers not only the S9 but pretty much all the way up to the newest released Sammy devices...which came in a couple months ago after a security patch if im remembering right..

Unfortunately I got my phone and so did my wife after this update was implemented but after doing research it is just as you suggested after a security update a few months ago this problem started hopefully they will fix it as it's rather annoying not life-altering unless of course you're my wife and then it's the worst thing ever LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

they dont post much device issue info wise over here..im mainly on the Sprint site and now that the majority of the new 5G devices are seeing the same updates (TMO/Sprint) you get to see a bit easier how a update affects a device etc..since roughly 2ish months ago a LOT of issues have sprung up on both sides..oddly enough one of said issues only affects the TMO side and not the Sprint side..so add that into the fun of figuring out where the issues are coming in lol.

i like to have my info ducks in a row when i post things...anywho..a little reading to get an idea of just how off the wall things have been lately on Samsung world

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/tkb-p/AndroidDevice

take a lil gander at how many devices are listed on some of those posts that are being affected lol.. i have been on these sites since the original HTC Evo...issues here and there with maybe one or two devices sure..but this is just nuts lol

Userlevel 2
Badge

they dont post much device issue info wise over here..im mainly on the Sprint site and now that the majority of the new 5G devices are seeing the same updates (TMO/Sprint) you get to see a bit easier how a update affects a device etc..since roughly 2ish months ago a LOT of issues have sprung up on both sides..oddly enough one of said issues only affects the TMO side and not the Sprint side..so add that into the fun of figuring out where the issues are coming in lol.

i like to have my info ducks in a row when i post things...anywho..a little reading to get an idea of just how off the wall things have been lately on Samsung world

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/tkb-p/AndroidDevice

take a lil gander at how many devices are listed on some of those posts that are being affected lol.. i have been on these sites since the original HTC Evo...issues here and there with maybe one or two devices sure..but this is just nuts lol

On my way home now when I get there I will read that link I wasn't sure if it was just a Samsung sang a T-Mobile thing or if everyone across the board was having this issue thanks again for the information

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

across the board from what i can tell minus one or two that are only really affecting the TMO side and i believe a couple vice versa only affecting Sprint...last rumoured fix for one or two of them was creating different issues so their original rumoured  fix release date was yeeted until they get it all figured out..

most issues you see spring up will affect a certain type of device..like for example the S10 and its other variants..when you start to see the issues spread across not only the same device type AND newer variants as well as jumps over to the Note series… it isnt something you typically see….well with Apple from time to time..but nothing like this lol

Userlevel 2
Badge

across the board from what i can tell minus one or two that are only really affecting the TMO side and i believe a couple vice versa only affecting Sprint...last rumoured fix for one or two of them was creating different issues so their original rumoured  fix release date was yeeted until they get it all figured out..

most issues you see spring up will affect a certain type of device..like for example the S10 and its other variants..when you start to see the issues spread across not only the same device type AND newer variants as well as jumps over to the Note series… it isnt something you typically see….well with Apple from time to time..but nothing like this lol

This makes me feel better to hear and I'm sure my wife will be happy to hear this as well at the same time this all happened we just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and got new phones so she's basically blaming T-Mobile and the phones for the issue.

If I understand you correctly they are working on trying to fix the issue which makes us both happy so thank you very much for your input you have been a big help and excellent conversation

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

*tips hat*

no worries..doin what i do up in here.

Userlevel 3
Badge

*tips hat*

no worries..doin what i do up in here.

I thought you said it was from a year ago and already solved? Now you are saying it's on all Samsung phones, lol. So what were you saying in that message on page one? 

Our family of 4 is having the same issue since the last update. It is very frustrating that our calls are being dropped in mid conversation. We are 8 hours from immediate family and my parents are ill. This is unacceptable. This issue needs to be fix asap.

Userlevel 2

Guys,

This still isn’t fixed for me.  I’m checking back every few days but it’s not JUST related to the Pie update.

We’re seeing it across multiple phones, though it does seem to be related to Samsungs.

The only fix we’ve found is when we’re at home, turn on AIrplane mode, then MANUALLY enable Wifi and blutooth with airplane mode still on.  This temporarily “fixes” the issue and it doesn’t try to switch back to cellular.

Of course, you need to remember to turn OFF airplane mode when you leave the house, which is also a PITA, but at least you won’t miss calls/texts at home.

TMOBILE: FIX THIS PLEASE. It’s been problematic for the last TWO firmware updates.

If you can’t get this working I’ll be switching carriers.

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is crazy, why has no T-Mobile representative replied in this thread? Why is nothing being done about our major issues. I'm getting 25 to 30 notifications from the wifi calling app every day! It's insane! 

Same issue with my T-Mobile galaxy S10 device. So frustrating that no response here from the support team!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same issue with my T-Mobile galaxy S10 device. So frustrating that no response here from the support team!

I contacted Samsung and they said it's up to T-Mobile as the WiFi calling app is there's. So good luck, T-Mobile doesn't care. 

Galaxy 10+ this started happening 2 days ago. It is happening every 10 or 15 minutes. The phone makes a noise like a text coming in. It is a PITA. I need wifi calling due to weak mobile signals. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!

This is driving me crazy. I am beyond frustrated. I have no signal at my house...even though I should have signal according to the tmobile map, but I’ve had my service for many years and I use WIFI. Now? I have to go to my phone settings before every call, change it from cellular preferred to wifi preferred, and in the middle of my call, the call drops. I look and it switched to cellular, and I have no coverage. It’s unusable. I disconnected 5 times on my last phone call. I work from home, I need this to work. I live in the middle of a city and I can see towers all over the place. I’m not sure why I can’t use my phone. I called once to complain and was told that I was in between the towers.

To cause further frustration, while I have no signal, and my calls go to voicemail, my visual voicemail fills up, and I cannot delete my messages over WIFI...but I don’t have signal so I cannot get any data coverage so I cannot delete my voicemails, so I cannot get new voicemail. If I cannot find a solution very soon, I am going to have to change carriers, which is too bad since I hate AT&T with the passion of a thousand suns.

Userlevel 3
Badge

We need a news site to cover our struggle so that's what I’m going to get. Wish me luck!

Does anyone from T-mobile even acknowledge this issue????

BTW, this change away from Wi-Fi happens and I am 10 ft. from the modem, The  Wi-Fi works fine 200 ft. away.

I understand this is Androids os and not T Mobile’s fault...but this shouldn’t be happening. And Samsung has no english speaking support based on the last time I called, got transferred three times and they kept being rude and hanging up on me. What si the fix as of 10/23/20 for an Android S9+ ?

I have the same problem with my S9.

Its exasperating 

Userlevel 1

I have the same problem on my s10e.  My software information says Android Version 10.  I have weak Cell signal at home but the WiFi is strong.  So I set my network preference as Wifi.  Every few minutes my phone alerts me that it has updated my preferred network settings to cellular.  This repeats over and over.  I have had the phone for more than a year and it was working fine until recently when I got tired of being pestered to install an update.

I live in the foothills in a cell service dead spot, but I’ve got fiber-optics internet and a top-of-the-line WiFi  router, which works great with my Samsung A11. Likewise, at work, the WiFi signal is much stronger than my cell reception when I’m indoors, so I would ALWAYS prefer to prioritize WiFi calling - if I could -  but it keeps changing back to “cellular preferred”…

I’ll add my name to this long list of people who are thoroughly dissatisfied with this automatic reset to “cellular preferred”. This is an incredibly serious flaw in the operating system apparently brought on by a recent update, and whoever it was that thought this “automatic adjustment” was a good design feature oughta be fired. I just recently changed carriers from Verizon to T-Mobile and am already beginning to regret it.  

T-MOBILE OR ANDROID, WHOEVER IS RESPONSIBLE, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND FIX THIS !

Just to add to this exchange, I have the same problem with the S8 and the S8 Plus.

T-Mobile, go fix this issue asap, please.