Solved

Alaska Cruise - International Roaming 10 Day Pass

• 30 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Elderly parents are on an Alaskan cruise currently with 10 day International Roaming plan per the rep’s recommendation.  She told me that they would have data on the ship and Alaska and Canada with the International Roaming plan ($35/line or $70 for 2 lines).  I confirmed twice with her and she sent a text with her “personal” guarantee.

Today, I got a text that my parent’s $80+ in international call charges for each line??  That’s close to $300 for the charges and the International Roaming.  I thought for sure it was a mistake, bc I activated International Roaming before their cruise started.  I messaged them to put on airplane mode while we figure this out.  It’s been 6 hours and still no call from the supervisor.  When I call into Tmobile, they won’t address my issue because it’s already been assigned to a supervisor.

I”m finding online that parents’ ship - Discovery Princess is NOT covered, contrary to what the rep told me.  I’m not sure if this is true whether you bought the International Roaming package or not.

Help!  Any advice?  What is actually covered for International Roaming?  If they just put on airplane mode on the ship, but turn back on while on land - do they even need International Roaming?

Any help is much appreciated!! 

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 31 August 2022, 01:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

no ship is covered from what i understand. or at least the mass majority of them wont pop up on that cruise listing link you posted.

like what @drnewcomb posted in that other thread look at number 4

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eYMuPEbQIcxxxDJBlG8p9FYUT9jdPDIg2-PtG40uJk0/edit

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You were given some really terrible advice. Cruise ships are horrifically expensive and on an Alaska Cruise the International Data Pass is a complete waste of money. Neither Alaska nor Canada are considered international roaming. This is why I recommend that Alaska cruisers turn off international roaming in their account settings.

Badge

Thank you drnewcomb!  This is HORRIBLE.   So we paid for International Roaming and we're getting hit for the roaming on the ship??  This is my second big issue with T-mobile in 6 months and they are failing miserably.

If I cancel International Roaming, parents should be able to use their normal Magenta Max plan in Alaska and Canada, correct?  TIA!!

You were given some really terrible advice. Cruise ships are horrifically expensive and on an Alaska Cruise the International Data Pass is a complete waste of money. Neither Alaska nor Canada are considered international roaming. This is why I recommend that Alaska cruisers turn off international roaming in their account settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If I cancel International Roaming, parents should be able to use their normal Magenta Max plan in Alaska and Canada, correct?  TIA!!

I have not done this personally but we hit on this solution for someone whose teen-age daughter was going on an Alaska cruise and he didn’t want to get hit with huge bills for shipboard roaming. In the settings for your account profile there should be two toggles that affect international roaming 1) “Turn off charged roaming” 2) :”Turn off international roaming”  #1 appears to only change data roaming and not voice and thus probably wouldn’t prevent charges for voice calls. #2 turns off all “international” roaming, but Alaska, Canada and Mexico are considered domestic roaming. So, by activating #2, only shipboard roaming would be turned off. Of course, this would need to be reset before a trip to Europe, where you’d want access to the roaming.

Now, the cell service in that part of Alaska and Canada is thin on the ground, so the phones would have been useless 95% of the time, unless connected to the ship’s WiFi.

This is just my best effort. I’m not dumb enough to offer any personal guarantees.