Question

Anything I can do to improve reception while on vacation in Finger Lakes?

• 24 July 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Despite Tmo claiming there is service, I can not receive a signal in the Ithaca area. I have to be up there for a week and can not be without any kind of phone service. Any way to improve this and actually be able to connect? I am by no means a techy, but it seems in an area that popular, that boasts the presence of towers, I should be able to connect. Help!

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

The only suggestion I can offer is to see if WiFi is available and use WiFi Calling. You can’t do much to make a signal from no signal.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

If your device is more than a few years old, it might not support what T-Mobile is deploying or has deployed there for service. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

is the issue data only or all the above? calls, texts and data?

Badge

Yes, true. I have booked a place that claims to have wifi. It did not work last time, but hoping my much newer phone might somehow work! Will try wifi calls but thought maybe there was something else that might help. Thanks.

Badge

Yes, had no ability to call, text, or receive data. Hoping this time their signal is better. I have upgradedmy phone too!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

roaming and everything is turned on? might be able to at least roam and get a signal.

Badge

I will make sure I have that set up when I get there. Thanks for the tip! Hopefully it will be better this year!