Question

ASUS ROG Phone 5

• 6 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Hello. Question, I am looking at buying my son a ASUS ROG phone 5 as a graduation gift, he’s attending college in the fall as a “video game” designer, thought it would be a nice gift.  But, I can’t find anywhere that T-Mobile supports ASUS on it’s network.  Even the seller cannot or won’t confirm if it’s available on T-Mobile, will only state that it works on Mint.  Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks! 

7 replies

Also curious about this. With the announcement of LG leaving the smartphone industry I figured it was time to upgrade. I personally use headphone jacks on my phone as well as other video editing things for either unique features or quick edits on the fly. The Asus ROG Phone 5 seems to be my best bet as with its specs it should last for a while.

I also need to know if the Rog 5 is compatible with Tmobile's 4g and 5g network. I'm looking to buy either this phone or Nubia's Red Magic 6 in the next few days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The ZTE Nubia Red Magic 6 supports pretty much all of the 4G bands with the exception of band 71.  Whether or not it supports T-Mobile’s implementation of VoLTE is another question.  If it doesn’t, then it won’t work on T-Mobile because devices now require VoLTE to work on 4G LTE.  For 5G bands, it is missing way too many to be useful.  No N2.  No N4.  No N66.  No N71.  N41 is not deployed in very many places.  N2, N4, and N66 are the more common 5G deployments for T-Mobile.  Considering this device is not meant for the North American market, I highly doubt it supports T-Mobile’s VoLTE or WiFi Calling implementation.

The Asus ROG Phone 5 (Version A) looks good, but again you have the same problem with the ZTE.  No guaranteed support for VoLTE.  Without VoLTE, you will not be able to make or receive voice calls over 4G LTE.  5G looks good but there is no guarantee that 5G is available where you plan on using the device.  Asus ROG phones in the past have not supported T-Mobile’s VoLTE or WiFi Calling implementations.  

The ZTE Nubia Red Magic 6 supports pretty much all of the 4G bands with the exception of band 71.  Whether or not it supports T-Mobile’s implementation of VoLTE is another question.  If it doesn’t, then it won’t work on T-Mobile because devices now require VoLTE to work on 4G LTE.  For 5G bands, it is missing way too many to be useful.  No N2.  No N4.  No N66.  No N71.  N41 is not deployed in very many places.  N2, N4, and N66 are the more common 5G deployments for T-Mobile.  Considering this device is not meant for the North American market, I highly doubt it supports T-Mobile’s VoLTE or WiFi Calling implementation.

The Asus ROG Phone 5 (Version A) looks good, but again you have the same problem with the ZTE.  No guaranteed support for VoLTE.  Without VoLTE, you will not be able to make or receive voice calls over 4G LTE.  5G looks good but there is no guarantee that 5G is available where you plan on using the device.  Asus ROG phones in the past have not supported T-Mobile’s VoLTE or WiFi Calling implementations.  

Interesting. I read on other threads that people have gone to the stores and the salesman said they couldn’t order them but that they did support them, however I have also seen a ton of people saying that they weren’t sure if Tmobile had the actual capability.

That being said, does anyone know which carriers DO support the product? I haven’t seen a Tmobile admin comment on this issue yet so guess they don’t care if we talk about other carriers on this thread.

Well okay I just wanted to comment back and say that apparently from what I am reading in this reddit thread, ASUS is going to try and make the phone compatible with Tmobile and all of the other carriers. Curious what other people think on this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/mhcjf3/asus_rog_phone_5/

I have the 16gb 256gb ROG Phone 5 (global ROM), it works fine on TMobile. I do get VoLTE and no connection issues, wi-fi calling has worked so far as well. However, where I currently am I have not picked up a 5g band yet (though I am not sure what frequencies are near me).

Overall phone works fine! 

Thanks magenta that's exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if your phone is version A?

Would be nice to hear from other tmobile users who are using the red magic 6.