Solved

Band 2 - 4G LTE in central Pennsylvania

• 2 March 2017
  • 8 replies

My phone does not have band 2, and from what I've read this area of T-Mobile coverage is Band 2 LTE.  So for the last year my phone always just shows "4G", if I drive to Philly or Hershey it flips over to "4G-LTE"

Last night and today "4G-LTE" popped up a few times.  My phone does have band 4 and band 12 LTE.

How can I tell what band the new "4G-LTE" signal is on my phone.

Phone: Android 5.2.2, HTC One (aka M7)

icon

Best answer by chris_in_cal 21 March 2017, 04:15

I have an HTC One M7.

I moved from Mountain View, CA where Tmo and my M7 rocked, to rural south central PA.

Tmo maps said this area had LTE for the last 18 months, but I wasn't getting LTE on my phone. Eventually I figured out that Tmo was using Band 2 for LTE here, and the M7 doesn't support band 2.

Being otherwise happy with my phone I just dealt with HSPA+ for the last year and a half.

A few weeks ago I started getting the LTE sign on my M7.  I did a little research and it seems Tmo has light up band 4 LTE in this area.  So my phone is now operating at full functionality (even if it is a five year old model)

So, I continue to remain happy with my phone M7 and happy with Tmo rolling out band 4 LTE in central PA

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Check out the app LTE Discovery.  I can tell you what band you are using.  It's in the Play Store.  I'm sure there are other apps and ways too, but I used it for many things.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

On a side note i would strongly recommend in the future getting a device that supports bands 2,4 and 12 since you are basically missing out on half the coverage that T-mobile offers. Also as snn_555 mentioned LTE Discovery will show you.

Userlevel 6

Hey @chris_in_cal‌!  I just wanted to check in and see if the recommended app was able to answer this question for you.  How did everything work out?

- Marissa

Userlevel 5

Hey Chris!

Your response came through blank. 😥 We'd love to still help!

-Lauren

Userlevel 6

Happy Monday, Chris!  I just wanted to check in and see if you had a second to send that reply again - we weren't able to see what you typed, but wanted to make sure everything was going well for you!

- Marissa

I have an HTC One M7.

I moved from Mountain View, CA where Tmo and my M7 rocked, to rural south central PA.

Tmo maps said this area had LTE for the last 18 months, but I wasn't getting LTE on my phone. Eventually I figured out that Tmo was using Band 2 for LTE here, and the M7 doesn't support band 2.

Being otherwise happy with my phone I just dealt with HSPA+ for the last year and a half.

A few weeks ago I started getting the LTE sign on my M7.  I did a little research and it seems Tmo has light up band 4 LTE in this area.  So my phone is now operating at full functionality (even if it is a five year old model)

So, I continue to remain happy with my phone M7 and happy with Tmo rolling out band 4 LTE in central PA

Userlevel 6

Well, I'm glad you stuck it out!  This update just made my morning, thanks for letting us know - so happy to read that you have LTE in your new area after a year and a half. 😊

- Marissa