Band 71 at State College question?

• 5 November 2018
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi everyone, so I just received a new Galaxy S9+ recently which I am super happy about because it has support for Band 71. T-mobile has said State college should have it live in my area but I have yet to connect to it. I was hoping that someone could answer these two main questions.

1. Is band 71 treated like band 12 as a fall back connection when band 4 is strong?

2. Where exactly does band 71 cover in my market?

On the coverage map its hard to discern what form of coverage is covering what but it would be awesome to know for the future as I have not noticed any coverage enhancements going from the S8 that I had originally used. I still connect to bands 2,4, and 12 at State college which is fine for the most part and dead zones still exist where they always have. I appreciate the time and am sorry for all the questions recently.

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Just posting to bump this post up

Band 71 appears to be active on two towers out on US-322 near Boalsburg and Tusseyville.

WKBS-TV in Altoona appears to block about half of T-Mobile's band 71 capacity in Center County.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Thank you for the response so to be clear there is no band 71 coverage covering say the University or say 801 Toftrees Ave which is where I reside currently.

None shows up on CellMapper.net. That does not mean that there is none, just none has been reported.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Ok and to the best of your knowledge do you know how band 71 is handled. Like with band 12 I know T-mobile trys to keep phones off it unless they really need the connection in the software of their branded devices.

I don't think there's a hard-and-fast rule, particularly if the phone has Carrier Aggregation.

How do you know what band you are on?

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

You can know in a variety of ways. I personally enter a code on the phone dialer that puts me in service mode. For Samsung its (*#0011#) without the braces. You can also use third-party apps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

You asked a really good question but within all my resources, I couldn't find any concrete rule with phones only being able to connect under certain circumstances. Just that phones within Band 71 coverage can take advantages of the benefits it offers if using a supported phone. Sorry, I know that's not the exact answer you're looking for.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

It is all good just hearing from you was good enough. Since I have your attention on the thread do you have in information for when the rest of Band 71 will get lit up at State College or if there are any upgrades to help coverage going towards Pittsburgh? An example address is *** ******** ***. That is where my apartment is and then you look at Fox Hollow road there is a dead zone at the intersection that connects to Toffees. Currently, my phone will connect to Band 4 LTE in this area and sometimes band 12. The band 4 is a little wonky though.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good hearing from you too! I know we're continuing to increase this Band 71 coverage but I'm not seeing this area has sites coming up right now, however it's possible that could change in the future.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Ok, I appreciate the responses, and finally, one last question and then this thread will be answered completely. Do you know anything in regards to the Pittsburgh market and Band 71. I know its off topic from State College but I figure I will just ask it now rather than creating a new thread. Specifically, within the county that Koppel resides in. I can't type it because the site has it as a banned word. I was curious about. The county name is B-e-a-v-e-r County.

The problem is that in the Pittsburgh market, there are 10 TV stations in RF channel 38-51 that potentially block deployment of band-71. They are not all scheduled to repack to lower channels until Phase 4, which ends in Aug '19.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

No problem! Nothing in the works for Band 71 right now. I'm seeing an LTE site coming up further north, but I don't have a specific date or what the service impact will be in that area. You're always free to ask about service. I can't promise I'll always have the answer you're looking for, but I'll as best as I can. 😊

Did now not count on VoLTE to paintings, at least with out a information plan too, however I had every cause to count on 3G to paintings, mainly whilst there are no realistic data needs on it in instances with out a records plandetail.  If they had been proscribing UMTS to only one block in band four, efficiently a 2G band, that does seem to mean they're now not going to assist 3G both.