Solved

Calls going straight to Voice Mail

• 28 February 2018
  • 87 replies

All the calls on my phone goes to Voice Mail . It happens when I am at home

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 18 July 2018, 21:01

Hey folks! Super glad switching to GSM is helping but we want you all to be able to take advantage of our awesome LTE network. This is definitely a fixable issue but we will need to open up service tickets so our engineers can dig into the LTE in your areas. Please contact us when you have a moment. https://www.t-mobile.com/contact-us.html

View original

87 replies

This is a really long string of comments going back to February I believe. That's right around the time my "going straight to voicemail" problems started. I decided to post this at the most recent spot. T mobile mobile f'd something up and either they don't know what it is or they do, and it's not an easy fix. I came up with a two part solution. One: I shut off all settings for wifi and just use their data. I only turn it on when I need it. Two: (this one I plan to back out to see if it is related or not) I shut off 4g LTE. My problem was so bad that I would call one of our other phones that was sitting in the other room of our house and it would go straight to voicemail, now it doesn't. I was planning to drop T-Mobile but decided I could live with these issues because they are cheaper than other services and I don't have to switch phones. T-Mobile is promising one thing and we're paying for it but they are not delivering. Sounds like another slap on the hand coming soon...

Userlevel 5

We will need to gather some specific information from you that we don't want to do on a public forum for your safety. If you are able to contact us, our tech support folks can gather this info from you and open up a support ticket.

Chris fix it and let me know when you want me to switch to LTE.

Thanks,

Aneta

Userlevel 5

Hey folks! Super glad switching to GSM is helping but we want you all to be able to take advantage of our awesome LTE network. This is definitely a fixable issue but we will need to open up service tickets so our engineers can dig into the LTE in your areas. Please contact us when you have a moment. https://www.t-mobile.com/contact-us.html

Hi Chris. I want you to know that it still works so definitely there is something wrong with LTE.

Thank you. It works 

For me (Pixel XL), it definitely was the tmo SCAM Block and the SCAM ID filter. My calls (both on regular line and on one digits line) started to go to voicemail immediately after enabling the blocks, and stopped doing so immediately after taking the blocks off again. It's a shame that what seems to be an exciting feature is not working (yet).

Hi Chris,

I switched to GSM only 3 days ago and it works fine.

I hope it stays like that. I've been with T-Mobile for so long and never had a problem until now.

Userlevel 5

Wow! That is some pretty good process of elimination troubleshooting there @magenta5470022​. I am so glad you were able to find a fix and thank you for sharing it! 

Hello Chris, thanks for your honest and reasonable response. Well, you didn’t lie but I (actually my wife) did. LOL.

Here’re our troubleshoot process and the results. We did more than what I will mention below but the below steps are critical and can be used to troubleshoot for people who have the similar problem.

Problem: Calls from my wife phone (to me) immediately went to my voicemail.

Given / Requirements: we used three fully functional (working) phones, under a normal situation.

Phone #1, mine, iPhone 6, TM SIM for the cell #1

Phone #2, my wife, brand new Oneplus 6, TM SIM for the cell #2

Phone #3, friend, iPhone X, TM SIM for the cell #3

Using various methods, several people have confirmed that her number (#2) was not in my iPhone blocking list. We also disabled the do-not-disturb feature on my iPhone prior to the tests.

Testing process:

1. Making calls from cell #2 - using DIGITS on laptop and Phone #2 and Phone #3 - to cell #1 on Phone #1: calls immediately routed to the voicemail. At this point, we eliminated the possible issue with Oneplus.

1. Making calls from cell #2 on Phone #2 to the cell #1 on Phone #3 (my SIM on friend’s phone): calls went through successfully.

Observation:

At this point we very much knew that my phone had been the culprit, root cause of the problem. By trial and error, we deleted my wife contact and soft rebooted the iPhone. Problem solved! I think it was a software glitch on my iPhone.

Thanks for your helps

Userlevel 5

Hey @anecky 

Any luck with switching to GSM? If so, there is definitely an issue with the LTE in your area and a service ticket with the engineers is the best course of action to get it resolved.

LTE not ZTE.  I feel dumber now.  Oh, and I've seen a number of replies that say they had better results turning off LTE and using GSM only modes.

Did you ever do something you thought was witty only to realize you come across as a complete buffoon?  Well ZTE is not a network, it's a phone, of which I had on my mind due to my sister having one, and I'm going to correct it, though it's too late.  LTE!!!!

Thanks I will switch to GSM only and see what happens.

I also turned to GSM only and am working fine.  I believe ZTE in my area is just strong enough to fool the phone into using that network even though it isn't strong enough to do what is required.  Switching to GSM only so far has been the only solution, of which I see no technician admitting may be a solution and a reason to check their networks.

This may come as a shock, and it may not be the complete answer.  I switched from AT&T, and it has been nerve wracking to say the least, what with no signal, to calls never received or logged but going straight to voicemail and voicemails left but never received, delays in receiving texts.  After several hours of painstaking investigation and trial and errors, I've come to two conclusions.  1. There is no correct answer to solving what everyone here has experienced.  2. ZTE has issues.  I turned it off.  And while this did not solve all the signal drops, delays, missed calls, it did increase my signal strength and did reduce all of the aforementioned.  Did this for my wife and it helped her. With ZTE as the first preference it constantly tries to find it even though, and this is the predominant issue, even though ZTE may be available in the area and is picked up due to the constant search by the phone, the ZTE signal may not be strong enough to do its duties.  So essentially you have a phone that found ZTE and is using it and disregards the other GSM signals out there that are probably stronger.  I'm not an expert, somebody will probably say "bullshirt" to my response, but I and my wife are working fine without ZTE.

Chris I called so many times and they walking me thru standard procedure. Last time I called they sent me to T-Mobile store to get a new sim card but the guy at T-Mobile said it's not necessary.

Userlevel 5

@foxirox and @anecky 

We can definitely get to the bottom of these issues for you. We will need to gather some specific examples of these failures and open up a support ticket with our engineers. Please contact us when you have a moment so we can get the ball rolling on this. If calling our over the phone support folks is not an option, you can use the Facebook or Twitter links in my signature to message out T-Force team at your convenience. They will be able to pull up your account securely and collect the needed information. 

I went to T-Mobile store and they did some changes on my phone. It worked for one day and now back to same problem. Calls going to voicemail. This is very enjoying. Today my husband said he has the same problem. Please do something about it. It is obvious that something is wrong there are so many people with same problem.

I have been having very similar issues for the past few months when I try to reach my teenagers at home.  We were formerly contracted with Verizon.  Two of them have IPhone 5C's and one has an iPhone 5S.  It is inconsistent, but pretty similar to what is happening with others.  I believe it only happens when they are at home on WiFi, but it is not 100% of the time.  Until we switched to Tmobile, we did not have this problem.  I have looked at their settings and can find nothing to indicate what might be causing this.  They do not receive notifications of any missed calls either. A trouble ticket has not been submitted since I am at work during the day when I try to reach them, (and therefore unable to give specifics to a helpline), and it isn't a consistent problem.

Userlevel 5

Not gonna lie @magenta5470022​, that kinda blew my mind. I have never seen a call routing problem specific to a device. Typically the issue is with the receiving party having some sort of blocking either on the device or the network side to stop calls from a specific number. Since it works from another device, there is nothing wrong on the network side. I am not actually even sure where to start with her OnePlus 6 phone troubleshooting wise. Has she tried dialing your number manually instead of out of the contact list? Are there any other numbers she calls that do the same thing?

Hello Chris, my wife just got a Oneplus 6 phone. Everything appears to work except that her calls to me (also a TM line) have always routed to my voicemail. When we switched the sim back to her old phone, it worked fine. She doesn't have any problems receiving my calls. I don't have any problems receiving other people calls, except her.

TM customer service told us to talk to Oneplus. Oneplus asked us to ask TM to do something with SMCS number for her. by the way, the phone is unlocked.

Any ideas?

Userlevel 5

Engineering service requests and trouble tickets are actually the same thing. There are no magic words you need to say as our workflow would lead the agent to a ticket in this scenario. Since it sounds like you already have tickets created for this issue, we can use those to escalate this concern. We cant see your account here on the community forum but if you contact us, our tech support folks can see the history of these tickets and escalate them for you.

We never got that far with my troubleshooting call.  The rep had me change some settings on my phone with no effect.  We got disconnected three times -- I was calling from my home landline -- and to his credit, the rep called back a couple of times.  He didn't call back after the third disconnect, but by that time I was too tired/frustrated to keep going.

In the past three days, I think I've had 20% of calls at my home (incoming or outgoing) successfully connect.  The rest have gone directly to voicemail, and the voicemail notifications have been delayed anywhere from a minute to 20 minutes.

What are the magic words I need to use when I call so I can speak directly to someone who can enter an "engineering service request" instead of a normal trouble ticket?  BTW, I still don't know what the original trouble ticket number(s) are.

Userlevel 5

@pj1983 & @hungryhippos

The only way to truly get this issue resolved is with an engineering service request as the call details are going to need to be reviewed to see where the problem occurred. I sincerely apologize that your calls to us have not fully resolved the issue but we do truly want to resolve this for you. After the troubleshooting, were either of you instructed to call us back if the issue persisted?