Question

Calls to commercial Verizon numbers get dumped to generic voicemail

• 25 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

For the past 2 weeks (and as recently as an hour ago) calls I make to Verizon commercial numbers from my T-Mobile phone will get picked up by a generic Verizon voicemail. After placing the call I can hear it ringing, but then I get a message saying “You’ve reached Verizon voicemail. Please re-enter the 10 digit phone number of the customer or mailbox you are trying to reach.” 

However, the calls go through successfully if the T-Mobile phone is making the calls over Wi-Fi; the problem seems to occur only for calls made over the cell network. Also, when I dial the same number from a landline or other non-TMobile line, I get the business’ normal phone tree / menu, and my call is connected perfectly.

This has occurred for multiple businesses I’ve tried to call, all symptoms exactly the same.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a known issue?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

That’s a really weird issue, I’ve never heard anything like it. What happens when you enter the number you were trying to call, do you get their voicemail? And what does the connection say on your phone (eg 3G, 4G LTE, 5G)?

Badge

That’s a really weird issue, I’ve never heard anything like it. What happens when you enter the number you were trying to call, do you get their voicemail? And what does the connection say on your phone (eg 3G, 4G LTE, 5G)?

Hey, Ian. Thanks for the reply.  My connection says LTE, but changes to H when I make any call (hadn’t noticed that previously.) I did some searching online and I found a post from Verizon’s user forums years ago reporting the same issue from the perspective of the call recipient, saying all T-Mobile callers are getting a voicemail prompt when calling her:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/My-Verizon/Verizon-is-censoring-calls-from-T-mobile-phone-numbers/td-p/1045288

It may be a moot issue at this point-- I just tried making a test call and for the first time in weeks it went through without an issue over the cell network. Though the above link makes it seem like this could happen again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I don’t think the drop from LTE to H is an issue, that will happen if your device doesn’t support or have Voice o\ver LTE (VoLTE) turned on. But it does sound like there may have been some sort of routing issue that got resolved. If it does happen again, I’d definitely recommend to contact us over the phone or through the T-Mobile app, Facebook, or Twitter so we can make sure everything is set up correctly on our side and escalate to our engineers.