Solved

Can I use my phone as a mobile hotspot internationally?

• 23 March 2016
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I'll be heading to the Cayman Islands in May.  I know my phone will work for text and data, but will the mobile hotspot feature work?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 23 March 2016, 17:38

Roaming across carriers when traveling internationally

"Tethering/Smartphone Mobile Hotspot

Even though the included data roaming service that comes with Simple Choice allows you to use data for your phone, it doesn't allow the ability to share with other devices by tethering through Smartphone Mobile Hotspot. If you need to share data through tethering, then we suggest adding an international data pass. Not only does it allow your device to be used as a Smartphone Mobile Hotspot, but it gives you speeds of up to 3G, depending on what country you're visiting."

T-Mobile's Hotspot app should not allow free tethering but a non-T-Mobile solution might be able to circumvent that. I wouldn't know. 😉 

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6

"probably"

If you don't have high speed internationally, it will be slow.  Possibly too slow to handle.

Also, you're under the rules of who you're roaming on.  If the roaming partner doesn't allow hotspot, T-Mo can't do anything.

Roaming across carriers when traveling internationally

"Tethering/Smartphone Mobile Hotspot

Even though the included data roaming service that comes with Simple Choice allows you to use data for your phone, it doesn't allow the ability to share with other devices by tethering through Smartphone Mobile Hotspot. If you need to share data through tethering, then we suggest adding an international data pass. Not only does it allow your device to be used as a Smartphone Mobile Hotspot, but it gives you speeds of up to 3G, depending on what country you're visiting."

T-Mobile's Hotspot app should not allow free tethering but a non-T-Mobile solution might be able to circumvent that. I wouldn't know. 😉