Solved

Can t mobile assist with my sudden reduction in reception in my home?

• 21 October 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

My family and I have been T Mobile customers for ~ 20 years.  I’ve owned my current house for 7 years.  Just recently, my husband and I have lost reception within our home, altogether.  I have upgraded my phone with no impact, I still cannot receive calls within my home.  Why did this happen and what can T Mobile do to assist with this?

icon

Best answer by fireguy_6364 21 October 2021, 16:52

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

you’ll need to contact TMO either through call or through Facebook or Twitter..the later two will land you with tier 2 support instead of tier 1 call in support…

with that being said the site here is primarily peer to peer with a handful of TMO moderators to keep the site in order...they are unable to assist with anything that might need to be done through the account itself.

are both your husband and yourself using the same type of phone or are they different?

Badge

Thank you, that was very helpful!  Hubby has different brand of phone, and while he is having some issues, they involve texts not sending/receiving instead of calls.  It’s weird.  I’ma get right on to twitter, thx again!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

no worries..two completely different devices having issues will usually point towards the network.

Badge

Agreed, and your advice to try twitter was a resounding success.  Thank you so much!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

*tips hat*

no worries..doin what we do up in here.

To Agent Jones:

There are so many things that can be affecting your signal.  However, in order to get to the core of the problem knowing your signal strength is necessary.  You may need a Cell Spot or a Signal Booster.

With T-Mobile and Sprint merging, towers have multiplied exponentially.  However, Tower and Antenna Siting is regulated by the FCC  ( https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/competition-infrastructure-policy-division/tower-and-antenna-siting)  Now, T-Mobile & Sprint are one company trying to maximize infrastructure as Sprint is being absorbed into T-Mobile and as T-Mobile expands 5G service.  Consider doing the following so T-Mobile can determine if you need a Cell Spot or if you may need a Signal Booster:  See the attached docs

Signal bars are not an accurate measurement of the strength of the signal your cell phone is receiving. While they do indicate something about the quality of your reception, there’s no industry standard for “this much signal equals this many bars”—each cell phone manufacturer uses their own calculation. When placed next to each other, two different brands of phones on the same cellular network might display different numbers of bars.

How cell signal strength is actually measured

The signal your phone receives from a cell tower is measured in decibel-milliwatts (dBm), a unit of electrical power in milliwatts (mW) expressed on a decibel (dB) scale. There are the three things you need to know about decibel-milliwatts:

1. 1 milliwatt (1 mW) is equal to 0 decibel-milliwatts (0 dBm). Since cell phones receive and transmit using much less power than 1 milliwatt (often as low as 0.00000000001 mW or less), cell signal strength is less than 0 dBm and therefore measured in negative numbers.
    The closer you get to 0 dBm, the stronger the signal; for example, −70 dBm is stronger than −90 dBm, −95 dBm is stronger than −105 dBm, and so forth.
  2. The decibel-milliwatt scale is logarithmic, meaning that every 10 dBm is a tenfold change in mW:
  3. Power (dBm)    Power (mW)
    −50 dBm    0.00001 mW
    −60 dBm    0.000001 mW
    −70 dBm    0.0000001 mW
    −80 dBm    0.00000001 mW
    −90 dBm    0.000000001 mW
    −100 dBm    0.0000000001 mW
    −110 dBm    0.00000000001 mW
    −120 dBm    0.000000000001 mW

4. Therefore, −80 dBm is 10 times the signal strength of −90 dBm, 100 times that of −100 dBm, and 1,000 times that of −110 dBm.
  5. Any change in signal strength—gain or loss—is indicated in decibels (dB). If your outside cell signal strength is −110 dBm, and you use a cell phone signal booster in your car that provides 50 dB of gain, you’ll receive −60 dBm of signal* (−110 dBm + 50 dB = −60 dBm).
  6. * Plus any signal gain from antennas, minus any signal loss from coax cables and distance between your phone and the booster’s inside antenna

I hope this helps.

Pam I Am / Phone Tech Enthusiast 

Badge

That was extremely helpful to my understanding of the problem, tyvm!  I have a couple of tickets open, failing that I will revisit a signal booster option.  Thanks again!

Cool.  Please remember T-Mobile has cell spots, but they no longer have signal boosters.  However, there are several vendors on etsy that sell T-Mobile signal boosters for $39.99.

Additionally, you can request advanced tech. supt. make a request for a tower.  If it benefits enough people, T-Mobile will act on the request.   Hopefully, local and federal governments will agree

Badge

Unless your nearest cell tower shuts off when you enter your home I would tend to think that something outside of the carrier is causing your issue. Switching phone model with no correction to the issue rules out a lot of potential causes. Cellular signals can be impeded by many things like electrical equipment, wiring, or other devices that use radio waves to communicate. New metallic siding on a house can adversely affect reception as well. My grandma has a very old house with layers of lead paint under several layers of newer non-lead paint and I get the worst reception in that house. There are cellular signal monitor apps available if you have an Android phone.. try using one of those and walk around the house, inside and out, and see where your signal drops or improves. You just might find the source of your issue. :wink:

Best of luck!

Absolutely.   The tech would need to determine if you need a signal booster or a cell spot.

Please check the document I attached to our last correspondence regarding signal booster  vs cell spot & how to accurately check your signal strength. 

I am a T-Mobile tech, but I  am out for a week or so.  My co-workers are a talented group.  Ask for Tech support when you call in.  Not all of my team members use my methodology, but will probably arrive at the same conclusion. 

BTW:  I believe you need a bidirectional  signal booster. 

Good luck