Can't receive data when on 5G UC

• 6 November 2021
  • 50 replies

Badge

New Pixel 6 Pro.  Worked fine for first few days.  Now when the phone shows connected to 5G UC, I can not receive any data or connect to internet.  There's an exclamation point in the notification area.  If the phone shows just 5G or LTE them I can receive data.  Tried resetting all networks and still won't work on 5G UC band.

50 replies

I have the new Galaxy S22. All of a sudden two days ago, my phone started switching from 5G to 5G UC. Once it switches over to 5G UC, I completely lose all network. My phone goes dead. I spent over an hour with TMobile tech trying to figure it out. The only thing they could figure out was that there was an issue with their towers in the area. It would take 3-5 days to fix. However, my coworkers with TMobile are not experiencing any issues. Why only my phone? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

might be the area.  I have no issues with 5g uc in my area.  in fact, my phone (S21) often ends up on N41 SA (no LTE) often where I am.

Userlevel 1

Why only my phone? 

If you are getting a solid 5 bars 5gUC, then I’ve had the same issue at times: congestion (i.e., near a ball game).  Anything less than 5 bars, 5GUC suffers tremendously (your phone can see it but the tower is not hearing your phone).

My solution, unfortunately, has been to disable 5G altogether,

Had same issse this AM and had to switch to LTE - note the new carrier settings in iOS 16 don’t affect the problem.

So disappointing. When I’m using T-mobiles most advanced network, my phone is a brick - no bandwidth, no data. And T-mobile’s response? Go back to a legacy network, to LTE. This has been going on for over a year. When will T-mobile resolve these issues? My new iphone 14pro was a brick this morning, out of the box  5G is enabled. Sure enough, it was connected to T-mobile 5G UC. Once I went back to LTE things were fine again.

I just sent an email to Neville Ray the CTO  of T-Mobile neville.ray@t-mobile.com of and the regional Engineer about this issue. Will let you know if I hear anything back. I have provided Neville Ray’s email if anyone else wants to contact him.

I just emailed him too.

Also Neville Ray is on Twitter @NevilleRay

I have been having the exact same issue on my iPhone 14 Pro and two other iPhones. Furthermore even switching to LTE is not consistent. I contacted tech support many times in the last few days - all I am hearing is engg team has a ticket open and they are working - 24 - 48 Hrs ETA - this is as good as no ETA :|.

Here is a pattern I noticed - when the phone goes into sleep mode - to save battery if I not mistaken, the cellular data radios operate at low power - when you wake up the phone - typically unlocking or tapping on the home screen, that’s when it does not connect back to the tower. For me I am forced to turn on Airplane mode and turn in off and even then, data only works on LTE. This issue started in the last 10 days - perhaps some upgrade/change is not really helping. I dont mind slower speeds - but inconsistent data - is just not acceptable. 

Why only my phone? 

If you are getting a solid 5 bars 5gUC, then I’ve had the same issue at times: congestion (i.e., near a ball game).  Anything less than 5 bars, 5GUC suffers tremendously (your phone can see it but the tower is not hearing your phone).

My solution, unfortunately, has been to disable 5G altogether,

I'm in the Kansas City area. This past week I've had the exact problem with 5G UC. Just came out of no where. I turned Sim off, waited, then tried, nothing. So I went back and changed automatic 5g and im using automatic lte, and my phone is working fine again. I have s21 plus 5g. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

This has been going on for so long. At this point I have no other option but to go elsewhere for cell service. T-Mobile 5GUC service reminds me of dial up. 

I recently moved to Magenta Max with 14 pro max. Whenever the phone shows 5G UC there is hardly any data. The speedtest fails. I did the trick of turning off 5G and moving over to LTE and it seemed to work but then what is the point of paying for 5G.

Also, I noticed it happens severely during 3PM-5PM when school dismissals are happening. I am in Houston, TX suburb.

Anything else I can do, I am guessing I already have the highest plan and the latest 14 pro max. Customer Service does not have any clue about this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so for you its happening at peek hours..usually means they are either in process of working on said towers and upgrading them or they are still in need of said upgrades. the towers you are connecting to at those hours are over capacity at those times due to how many people are on them.

so for you its happening at peek hours..usually means they are either in process of working on said towers and upgrading them or they are still in need of said upgrades. the towers you are connecting to at those hours are over capacity at those times due to how many people are on them.

I don't think it's happening at peak times, it's happening all day for me regardless of time. My job requires me to be on my phone with calls all day especially since I have to check satellite sites. The issue is on going all day. For me, anyways!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i was replying to the 3pm-5pm post right above mine.

I purchased S22+ today with Note 20 5G trade in. The speed on S22 is very low.Like 4g low.  Note 20 was working fine . So I did a chat and we spent about an hour troubleshooting the network and the phone. Changing settings,restarting,turn on/of some stuff on the phone Nothing helps.  Note 20 doesn’t have any “UC” on display and provided 150-250Mb on the speed test. S22 do has “UC” and gets between 10-20 Mb. CS thinks there is a network outage in my area but this affected only S22 but not older 5G devices.

My data is super slow all the time. I'm so mad I could spit! I'm probably going to change to another phone company because of it. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Having same issue.  At time I see just 5G and it is fast, as soon as I get 5UC it craw’s sub 1mbs on the speed test .

Called suppoert, 46 minutes later they said it might be a problem with my “OLD PHONE”.  I have a ZFlip 4, 

I am on T mobile home internet. It must switch to 5Guc 20 times an hour at times. When this happens none of my home devices work or connect to Wi-Fi.  It will be impossible to work from home.  I have called T-Mobile support many times.  They just run through the same reset procedures.  I am very disappointed as I wanted to give T-Mobile a go.  They offer no assistance or solutions. It is clearly happening to others as well. 

I also want to add to my note above is that I have new devices. New LG tv, desktop and iPhone 14. It is not my devices.

I came for the same reason. I just switched to t mobile yesterday and right away noticed 5G UC means my connection sucks. On S21 Ultra + . I need to ask my wife about her phone but assume it's the same since it's the same type of phone we both ported over from Verizon. When it goes to regular 5G it sends "normal" but once UC shows up it's pointless to try.  I tried some of the things above and I'm on a physical sim but so far nothing concrete.  I'm going to try that airplane mode thing, years ago I had an S5 that needed that trick to work.

This is a relief to see that it’s a widespread issue - and so unbelievably disappointing the casual and consistently careless response from T-Mobile.

So I’m in Northern Virginia, I got an iPhone SE 2022 (from T-Mobile) and Magenta MAX. In fact (and this was all discussed in detail at their store, with total reassurances that it would all work), a PSIM from T-Mobile LTE (work line, for calls only) and eSIM with Magenta MAX for personal call and “unlimited” data.

From the start, the same problem highlighted on this thread on different brands, different models: at 5G, lightning fast speeds. But the moment it goes to 5G UC (which it *always* does, automatically), it’s a brick. If I use the work line (LTE) for data, it becomes normal. If I use the Magenta MAX line and turn off 5G, it also works normally in LTE.

Customer service… Geez, I just feel lied to. First (after making you do all the obvious dummy “fixes” that never work) they said there was some construction going on and it was going to get better. It didn’t. Then when I pushed hard with facts, speed test results, they buckled (“yeah we have identified this issue with the iPhone SE 2022 model in eSIM”). A lie, as here we can read cases from different models and brands. Their solution? Turn off 5G for good, as speeds are “very similar”. Did they get trained to really recommend that? (In the posts above I conclude that… yes, it’s a standard answer).

Last straw for me: we are now moving to a new location. We go to the T-Mobile “coverage map” to check: and the entire street we are moving to (I’d say every single area in Northern Virginia in fact is showing like this as well) shows as a solid FULL coverage for 5G, 4G, everything. I go on the street (outside the house!), it’s ONE bar. One bar on LTE, one bar on the useless 5G UC. So choppy and sluggish even when on LTE. Inside the house? Nothing. No data. Voice calls ridiculously choppy.

I guess Verizon it is then for my personal line. And a big push for my company to drop T-Mobile for the business line provider as well.

Hi all,

Is this data stalling issue on 5G still happening to you guys?

Any improvements recently?

thanks

Hi all,

Is this data stalling issue on 5G still happening to you guys?

Any improvements recently?

thanks

It has certainly gotten better late this year for me, I can keep 5G on pretty much all the time.

There are blips where it’s noticeably slow, like ping, not download speed, even with 100% bars. But I don’t have the roaming problem anymore where it seems like it’s not connecting to the next tower when I drive somewhere and I’m dead in the water with 5G UC showing.

Badge

I am having no data when I see 5G UC