Can't receive data when on 5G UC

• 6 November 2021
  • 42 replies

Badge

New Pixel 6 Pro.  Worked fine for first few days.  Now when the phone shows connected to 5G UC, I can not receive any data or connect to internet.  There's an exclamation point in the notification area.  If the phone shows just 5G or LTE them I can receive data.  Tried resetting all networks and still won't work on 5G UC band.

42 replies

Userlevel 1

Having the same issues with my iPhone 12 Max. Phone turns into a brick when UC triggers. First time in a long time I’m looking for new service. Reset my network settings, cycled my phone… nothing works. Worst part I can’t restrict UC from triggering and turning my phone into a brick. 

Userlevel 1

No. The solution offered by T-Mobile was to turn off 5G completely and only use LTE… not exactly the right way to keep customers. They should have held back the rollout of UC. 

I have the new Galaxy S22. All of a sudden two days ago, my phone started switching from 5G to 5G UC. Once it switches over to 5G UC, I completely lose all network. My phone goes dead. I spent over an hour with TMobile tech trying to figure it out. The only thing they could figure out was that there was an issue with their towers in the area. It would take 3-5 days to fix. However, my coworkers with TMobile are not experiencing any issues. Why only my phone? 

Why only my phone? 

If you are getting a solid 5 bars 5gUC, then I’ve had the same issue at times: congestion (i.e., near a ball game).  Anything less than 5 bars, 5GUC suffers tremendously (your phone can see it but the tower is not hearing your phone).

My solution, unfortunately, has been to disable 5G altogether,

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

5G UC T-Mobile’s “Ultra Capacity” network technically includes high-band 5G. The range of the higher bands are much more limited (1 mile radius) than mid and lower bands and some phones may not handle the higher mm bands very well. The mid band delivery makes more sense but still the 2-3 mile range and penetration could be sketchy. With the T-Mobile solution it appears the UC could appear when connecting to the mid-band mm or high-band mm network but probably the mid-band mm network. Since the radius of delivery for a mid-band mm frequency is not that broad (2-3 miles) it seems the delivery for mobile customers in transit is probably be a bit problematic. The lower “5G NR” T-Mobile solution has better range and penetration so is more forgiving. The solution seems to be more towers and more uniform coverage. It is not there yet. Just my take. 

Badge

Think I'm good now.  Believe it was a combination of cell tower upgrades in my area and sim card.  Switched to esim and getting better connections and data transfers.

Having the same issues with my iPhone 12 Max. Phone turns into a brick when UC triggers. First time in a long time I’m looking for new service. Reset my network settings, cycled my phone… nothing works. Worst part I can’t restrict UC from triggering and turning my phone into a brick. 

Figure it out yet? Same issue on my iPhone 13. I JUST got T-Mobile about 2 months ago, and they say UC stands for “Ultimate Coverage”, but that’s gotta be a joke 

No. The solution offered by T-Mobile was to turn off 5G completely and only use LTE… not exactly the right way to keep customers. They should have held back the rollout of UC. 

Exactly! Sounds like T-Mobile is saying, go to another carrier. I still have a couple apps that get no data when UC is connected. Royal PITA 🤬.

+1 every time I see 5G UC it means not enough internet even for checking emails, I am on T-Mobile ONE, feels like punishment for being on grandfathered plan… no offers, no promos, no internet, I wish John Legere to be back so bad 

The lower “5G NR” T-Mobile solution has better range and penetration so is more forgiving. The solution seems to be more towers and more uniform coverage. It is not there yet. Sorry but with technology has going pains. 

So disappointing. When I’m using T-mobiles most advanced network, my phone is a brick - no bandwidth, no data. And T-mobile’s response? Go back to a legacy network, to LTE. This has been going on for over a year. When will T-mobile resolve these issues? My new iphone 14pro was a brick this morning, out of the box  5G is enabled. Sure enough, it was connected to T-mobile 5G UC. Once I went back to LTE things were fine again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

i was replying to the 3pm-5pm post right above mine.

I had a similar problem come up in the last month and a half. I’m on an iPhone and was running iOS 15.6, and 15.5 before it, when I stopped receiving texts intermittently. Sending always worked.

I narrowed it down to 5G; if I was on 5G, texts would stop. On 5G UC or LTE, they’d come through.

Restarting seemed to help, but in the end, what’s worked 100% of the time was removing the plan from my phone entirely, then I reactivated it.

Now the phone seems to join 5G UC and WiFi calling more often, receiving texts just works, and I’m still using the same eSIM as before.

Hey Scott, you can read my update above but I do wonder what you mean by "removing the plan from your phone". What does that mean and do you know how that affects your phone? Just curious, never heard anyone say that. Thanks in advance. 

Jimmy

I have been having the exact same issue on my iPhone 14 Pro and two other iPhones. Furthermore even switching to LTE is not consistent. I contacted tech support many times in the last few days - all I am hearing is engg team has a ticket open and they are working - 24 - 48 Hrs ETA - this is as good as no ETA :|.

Here is a pattern I noticed - when the phone goes into sleep mode - to save battery if I not mistaken, the cellular data radios operate at low power - when you wake up the phone - typically unlocking or tapping on the home screen, that’s when it does not connect back to the tower. For me I am forced to turn on Airplane mode and turn in off and even then, data only works on LTE. This issue started in the last 10 days - perhaps some upgrade/change is not really helping. I dont mind slower speeds - but inconsistent data - is just not acceptable. 

This is a terrible experience very frustrating and purposeless to have if it’s not going to work in emergencies

Having same issue with S21 Ultra. Anyone find a resolution? 

I purchased S22+ today with Note 20 5G trade in. The speed on S22 is very low.Like 4g low.  Note 20 was working fine . So I did a chat and we spent about an hour troubleshooting the network and the phone. Changing settings,restarting,turn on/of some stuff on the phone Nothing helps.  Note 20 doesn’t have any “UC” on display and provided 150-250Mb on the speed test. S22 do has “UC” and gets between 10-20 Mb. CS thinks there is a network outage in my area but this affected only S22 but not older 5G devices.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

might be the area.  I have no issues with 5g uc in my area.  in fact, my phone (S21) often ends up on N41 SA (no LTE) often where I am.

I had this issue on my S21U once UC started showing up. This is what worked for me.

Go to device settings. Then connections. Then sim card manager. Deactivate the SIM. Wait about 15 seconds. Reactivate sim. Enjoy faster speeds.

Hope that helps. 

My data is super slow all the time. I'm so mad I could spit! I'm probably going to change to another phone company because of it. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Had same issse this AM and had to switch to LTE - note the new carrier settings in iOS 16 don’t affect the problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I saw a post where the suggestion to resolve the data issue when seeing the 5G UC is to revert to LTE. On the 5G capable iPhone go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data and then set LTE vs 5G On or 5G Auto. That should work for an iPhone. I don’t have the Android but I am pretty sure the same approach should work. Set the phone to use LTE for data when the 5G UC results in no proper data delivery. I have been there and experience the same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro. It is a bother.

Why only my phone? 

If you are getting a solid 5 bars 5gUC, then I’ve had the same issue at times: congestion (i.e., near a ball game).  Anything less than 5 bars, 5GUC suffers tremendously (your phone can see it but the tower is not hearing your phone).

My solution, unfortunately, has been to disable 5G altogether,

I'm in the Kansas City area. This past week I've had the exact problem with 5G UC. Just came out of no where. I turned Sim off, waited, then tried, nothing. So I went back and changed automatic 5g and im using automatic lte, and my phone is working fine again. I have s21 plus 5g. 

Have you tried using Samsung Band Selector? It's at Play store. You can choose the bands you prefer and just keep the UC bands out. N38 and N41 are mmWave, N260 and N261 I believe is where the UC starts. When I can lock these 4 in I can get better data speeds than on the regular 5G bands. Unfortunately when I do get the better bands the phone eventually will switch me back to the shittier band 2 and 66 for some reason except for on my Tab S8+5G which loves the UC and mmWave. 

Hi Jimmy, what you are experiencing is a sim issue, it's unfortunate right now with all the modernization of the towers,  but rest assured there is a fix.  You'll need to switch from the esim to psim (physical sim). We've noticed this issue with all Apple Devices with dual sims. If you're device doesn't have a physical sim, just drop by aT-Mobile retail store and pick up one.  They will be happy to make the switch for you.  No need to use it for a paperweight.  Hope this helps.