Question

Cant view home cameras with T-Mobile iPhone but can with AT&T service.

• 29 December 2016
  • 58 replies

I no longer can view my home cameras from my iphone when on cellular. It works fine on wifi but will not work on T-Mobile cellular service.  To make this worse is I have a iPad with AT&T and that works fine with both wifi and on their cellular service. Cameras worked fine on iPhone until about 2 weeks ago. I also have two different apps with two different cameras and the same result on both. Works fine with AT&T cellular but won't work with T-Mobile cellular service. I spent about 2 hours with T-Mobile support chat and on the phone yesterday and at the end was told by the person that "oh yes its normal for people to be able to view on iPad but not phone and it only works on iPad because it's a iPad and not because it's AT&T". Clearly that is wrong. This USED TO WORK ON MY IPHONE with T-Mobile until weeks ago and now doesn't. I have been a T-Mobile customer for lots of years now and spend almost $250 a month on their services and if I can't get this resolved I will be moving to AT&T. What's the point of having home security cameras if you can't view them unless you are on wifi somewhere.  Please somebody help.

58 replies

So what is the solution ?

I enabled IPV6 in my router, also the 4to6 service, and still doesn't work.

this only broke when i upgraded IOS10 to latest IOS11

i have tried a bunch of different IOS IPCAMERA utilities

we need solution community....

I have iphone 6 with the latest ios update with Verizon couple weeks ago and never have problem viewing my home security camera(Samsung SNH-V6414B) with carrier data until I switched to T-Mobile. With T-Mobile, I can only view my home camera live or stored when on wifi but never on carrier data. Called T mobile several times and even went to their store but no one can help. Was issued couple of trouble tickets but never get any responses back. Only recourse is to switch back to Verizon which has a lot better coverage. T mobile can be a little cheaper but not worth the trouble and agony.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I am sorry that you had that experience. However, it is a know issue with Apple. If you use a Android device you would be able to force a IPv4 connection and things would work out fine. Although I understand not wanting to swap your device for such a reason.

That doesn't help, describing the ocean to a drowning man!  We need a solution, not re-stating the known issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I am sorry, there is currently no known solution. You would ether need to work with the vendor/service to have them update their system or use a phone that allows for you to force a IPv4 connection.

ok, so making progress, and hope someone can take this further:

I upgraded my router for one that supports IPV6

I enabled 4to6 in the IPV6 option.

I now have a IPV6 IP address

I enabled PING from WAN

I can ping externally either IPV4 or IPV6 addresses

I reduced MTU to 1280 (not seen any difference)

I added a free subdomain AAAA record at http://freedns.afraid.org/subdomain/  this points to my IPV6 address

I can ping with this new subdomain DNS name instead of my IPV6 address, i.e mydomain.mooo.com

all this progress, but still no image in Myeye IPCamera utility using the IPV6 or DNS name

ideas ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I installed Swann View Plus onto my iPhone 6s, and it works fine.

Mine just stopped working today, 4/17/18 around noon EST. It has been working fine using iphone 7plus and 8plus since i switched to Tmobile last year. Since today i cannot view my cameras anymore using LTE, only works on WiFi. I wish someone can fix, i realy dont want to switch providers.

Mine also stopped working today 4/17/18 about same time I have iphone 6s but i have another phone iphone7s that works fine on network. the 6 works when on wifi to view external ip but not on tmobile LTE network. if anyone can figure out a solution i would greatly apreciate it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

What kind of remote monitoring service are you using?

I still have no issues with Swann.

its not that the app or my router or that is an issue

its my data connection (LTE) that does not connect to external ip

im using LaView Dvr with app and port forwarding. I can access with other devices and on WiFi only but not T-Mobile data on iPhone 6s

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

So - you can access it properly from an 'external' wifi - correct, just not T-Mobile LTE.

sapphire4687276 wrote:

its not that the app or my router or that is an issue

its my data connection (LTE) that does not connect to external ip

im using LaView Dvr with app and port forwarding. I can access with other devices and on WiFi only but not T-Mobile data on iPhone 6s

Just for clarification if it helps to resolve anything; everything worked fine for last 2 years up until yesterday morning (approx11am). Nothing has changed at home. router, ports, ISP, dvr, cameras and app has all been the same.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Since you're not the only one with the issue on T-Mobile, I doubt that its on your end.... but something that T-Mobile may have done - as its only affecting those using T-Mobile service to connect to the app.

It is Tmobile - Apple issue. It works fine on Samsung device and using external WiFi. I called Tmobile last night, spent one hour for nothing. He didnt know anything about it.

I have a samsung 8+ and within the last couple days started having this same problem so it's no longer just an apple problem.   One reply said an android device can force an ipv4 connection. Where do i do this?

I have just started having this issue around the 4/18 date as well.   Using an iphone 7 and am unable to access any device behind my router over LTE.  I have tethered my LTE service to my Mac and tried to scan the port I have forwarded on my router with no success.  If I connect my Mac to wifi it has no issues.  I also tethered a Galaxy 8 (Tmobile) service to my Mac and was able to scan the port.  This seems to be an issue with Tmobile and my Iphone.  If I enable a mobile VPN app (Nord VPN) on my Iphone, the cameras work again. 

Thanks!  Using VPN I'm able to see the cameras again.

Well the LTE connection is working again as of this morning.

Has anyone figured this out yet? 

I was trying to configure the TapCMS app to look at my Wirepath home security cameras today.  The app works fine on my iPhone  X ( running iOS 11.4) over WiFi but will not work when I disconnect WIFI and try to access them over my T-Mobile data connection.  My installer (with iPhone 8 running iOS 11.3) was able to access the cameras fine.  My daughter with iPhone 7 (running iOS11.3) also could not see the cameras.  The only difference was that my installer has AT&T and my daughter and I both have T-Mobile.  I then started googling the problem and came across this thread.  It is convenient to point fingers at Apple and I am sure that the truth is somewhere in the middle but the app works on an iPhone on AT&T and doesn't work on an iPhone on T-Mobile...so hard to say that Apple should be the one to fix this and not T-Mobile.  I have tested the VPN solution and it works...but it is not ideal to have to pay a subscription for a VPN service and then launch a VPN app every time I want to check the status of my house when I am not connected via WIFI.

T-Mobile:  Any thoughts on how to fix this?

thanks!

Hi I just came across this post because having the same problem.!good news is that I was able to see my cameras on T-Mobile service just started a month ago. I have an iPhone 6plus .being said that what ip are you using . You need to change one thing in your Ip. Just let me hear your side of the story may be we have a fix 

You are a genius.  I just turned on my VPN and have been able to see my NVR/cameras again on LTE.  I have been struggling with this for the past month and this is such a simple solution.

Stand up tall and SCREAM this out to everyone.

@magenta4731025

Stopped working today. This should not require a vpn to use an internet camera. This means that Tmobile is gating or stopping the feeds. 

It's incredible to see this... two days ago, my live view cameras stopped working unless I am on wifi w/ the network the cameras are on... Worked fine for the last two months... below is a link to the thread I just created. Didn't know this was still a live topic... I agree with you, I should NOT be required to use a VPN for my cameras to work.

Unable to view security cameras via cellular...