Question

Connected... but not?

• 18 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

So I'm sitting on my couch with my phone, browsing websites, streaming music, checking email... all of a sudden, my phone is acting like it has no connection. It shows 5GUC and all five bars but it's acting like I'm out of my service area. I turn on "airplane mode" for 5 to 10 seconds and turn it off, now everything is back to normal. This only started happening these last 2 weeks. What could be the cause? I haven't changed my plan, account settings, or location. (I am NOT using WiFi.)

I am using the same phone I've had for thr last 6 months (Samsung S22+) so there hasn't been a change to equipment either. Again, this issue only popped up the last 2 weeks, and toggling airplane mode "refreshes" the connection. I also doubt its my data plan since i have not changed my usage habits and the billing cycle just reset. It's intermittent (so it could happen 6 times an hour, or once every couple of hours). Anyone have any clue on the cause and a possible fix?

3 replies

I'm having very similar issues. What I've noticed so far is when I change between connections it will show fully connected but nothing works. I have wifi at home but any time I leave the house and switch to network data I have to toggle airplane mode or the data doesn't work. I've tried a network reset and that didn't fix the problem.  Sometimes even after using airplane mode toggle the data will stop working and I have to do it again. Possibly when the phone switches towers. This all started a couple weeks ago or so. 

Badge

I have the same issue with my Samsung S22 mobile phone, hotspot,  and home internet.  My daughter has the iPhone 13 and has poor service all the time.

The phones has issues when it is not in wifi mode.

I have identified that the latency/connectivity issues are being caused by air traffic.  Three airports and the FAA surround me. It shows I am connected to my services, but it is not working. It also impacts blue tooth devices.

Typically, airlines contract in connection servers from a host of local ISP providers worldwide to ensure that antennas are located every place the planes fly over.  The reliance on our local service gets first priority along with emergency services.  This ground-to-air communication impacts people with patchy wifi performance.

No one can tell me what they are doing about it.  Maybe it is time to report them to the Public Utilities Commission. "The Engineers are working on is getting old."  It got worse when TMobile started to merge the Sprint towers in our area.  

I know this is an older post, but I’m having a similar issue on my iPhone 15. When I leave my house, I have to toggle airplane mode on and off a few times before cellular kicks in. It looks like I’m connected, but nothing loads. It happens every time I go from wifi to cellular. Did you all find a solution?