Question

Coverage in Colorado

• 12 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

You have the worst coverage of the three in Colorado. I am talking about in the rural areas and in and around the mountains.. Any one can look at a coverage map and see this. When is Tmobile going to add more towers and cover more of Colorado? You advertise about how many people you cover but not what areas you cover? For us that travel and or have vacation homes in CO coverage across the state is important. I would like to move my phones over to Tmobile but can’t because of your coverage there

thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I've had this issue on my.last trip as well.  roaming finally exists in Ridgway,  and word has it coverage in Estes Park  is now usable.  Rural areas between  Estes Park to I70 is pretty much no service.  Carbondale to Hotchkiss was also no service

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

T-Mobile is historically an urban/suburban carrier that only started covering rural areas about 10 years ago. The bulk of their customers are still in urban areas and when they bought Sprint, they got another largely urban customer base and the band-41 licenses that went along with them. They are working full time to merge Sprints spectrum into T-Mobile’s network to keep their existing customer base happy. New rural expansion is a lower priority project for T-Mobile engineering. They should eventually have rural coverage to rival AT&T and Verizon but not this year.

We just made the switch to T-mobile and were able to tell ViaSat to pack sand. Even though we only get a ‘good’ signal in our area, it is still better (and cheaper) than ViaSat (and way better customer service!).

I agree though that there is a large opportunity that T-mobile is missing. Even after acquiring Sprint and associated towers, there is still room for improvement for rural areas in CO. If T-mobile was to put in a few more towers to provide better coverage for rural areas, they would hit the motherlode in CO. I know for a fact that rural consumers are tired of being held over the proverbial barrel by companies such as ViaSat, CenturyLink, etc. who charge an arm and a leg for @#%^ service in areas like El Paso County.

I know Mountain View Electric has acknowledged this opportunity and is looking to bring high-speed internet in the next 5yrs. Starlink has also seen that opportunity, but viability with solar flares proves to be a factor with them.

What say you T-mobile?