Question

Coverage issue with T-Mobile after switching from Sprint

• 30 August 2021
  • 15 replies

Badge

My father lives in a small town in southern Arizona. With Sprint, we had really good service when we visited him. We switched to the T-mobile SIM cards a few months ago. Now when we visit him, the service is pretty bad. I thought with the merger that we would have access to both networks. How do I contact T-mobile to let them know their coverage sucks there?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

What town? I was in southeast Arizona a couple of months ago and didn't have much of a problem except in Bisbee but my wife didn't have an issue.

I had to go to Gila Bend last week with no issue.

Badge

Tubac. With Sprint, I had great reception and 25 mbps data. With T-mobile, calls drop all the time, texts don’t always send right away, and data is very slow, if it even connects. They keep talking about how we’re going to get the benefits of the combined network.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

go into your mobile network settings and change from either automatic/5G to 4G LTE/CDMA… once you see it change up at the top do a few tests to see if things improve or not.. was the phone purchased from Sprint or was it an outside purchase and then brought to Sprint and now TMO? if you go into your settings and look at the VPN..is it grayed out or can you select it and possibly change around your VPN settings?

Badge

My network options are LTE/3G/2G (auto connect), LTE/3G (auto connect), and 2G Only.  But I did find an option to change Network operators so next time I am there I will try changing it from Select Automatically to Sprint and see if that works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

which phone do you have? and which sim card did they switch you out to?

Badge

Galaxy S10+. It’s a T-mobile SIM card, what do you mean by which one?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

if they gave you a R15 or maybe it was a R115 sim card you should be able to use both Sprints network as well as TMOs network..make sure your roaming is turned on as well. cant remember..was the S10 a 5G phone? with the options its giving you im guessing it is not.

Badge

No it’s not 5G. As I said I will try switching it to Sprint network the next time it is there. But I thought one of the points of the merger was that we’d have access to both networks and it would be seamless. It should automatically select the better network.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

i was also pulled over from Sprint however i have a 5G phone..they switched me to a R15 or R115 sim card and now im able to pull in TMO 5G where Sprint never had 5G. for the most part my reception has improved quite a bit in the areas that either of the two covered..5G however is a bit hit and miss depending on area.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Same issue here in Ohio.  Purchased new S20FE and tried to register it on Sprint.  Was told that I needed new T-Mobile sim card so I got one.  Now my coverage is awful compared to the Sprint coverage I had before.  In fact most of the area I travel through to get to work is now only Edge service, basically 2G. Thanks T-Mobile!

I would have to say i would never recommend this service. I have had sprint for about 12 years and travel throughout illinois for work i could tell you all of the bad areas for coverage throughout the state before the switch. Now they are at least  double or triple the amount not to mention the at least once a day i have dropped calls. service is horrible now idk who is a better alternative but tmobile is not it Thanks for ruining what was a decent phone service 

I’ve been with sprint since ‘03 and never really had issues with my service. I switched over to the tmobile SIM two weeks ago- traveled to Pittsburgh - had full bars - calls were failing. Internet services everywhere - feels like it’s 2003 all over again and I’m on dial up. 

I’ve been thinking about switching to visible but then I saw that they’re having issues with hackers. ::facepalm::

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

try running your device in 4G only instead of using 5G and see if it improves or stays the same.

It’s on LTE. I have an 11- no 5G shows available. Only LTE and 4G. Putting it on 4G puts me on T-Mobile edge and then I can’t load even this webpage.