Question

Coverage Issues in Rancho Cordova, CA

• 22 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

I live in Rancho Cordova, CA in an area where the coverage map says excellent strength for 4G LTE. However, we’ve always had 1-2 bars at home and rarely had full service on the block we live on. I was previously with AT&T with excellent reception, but ended up switching over to T-Mobile to join my family since T-Mobile was much cheaper and we were offered a cellspot to connect to our internet connection to provide us with full service which has helped provide us with full strength of 4G LTE. However, with us working from home now, I am realizing how important it is to actually have excellent reception. With power outages or internet service providers down for maintenance and such, I am left with 1-2 bars of reception, unable to access hotspot to continue working let alone text my manager/coworkers to inform them of the outage. Besides the cellspot, does T-mobile offer anything else that would work better that doesn’t require our internet connection to be working? Does T-Mobile need to assess the area since the coverage map states that we should have excellent 4G LTE service? I believe this is very important since many people work from home and maybe the coverage map should be updated for accuracy. Any suggestions would help! Thank you!

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Have you looked at the coverage maps on CellMapper.net and RootMetrics.com? They relate the actual signals found by others, not what’s predicted by mathematical models. Both show excellent coverage around Rancho Cordoba, with a few areas of not-so-good signal. What phones are you using?

Badge

I just looked at both. I think I’m at a spotty service area. Cellmapper has red spots along the road and I’m in an area that’s untested / border of LTE service on RootMetrics. We’ve used both iPhones and androids in the past and currently on iPhone right now. I don’t know much of the tech side of things but is it possible for T-Mobile to boost service in the area? LTE service without requiring internet connection would really help. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You can call 611 and file a coverage complaint ticket. They might adjust the tilt on the antennas to improve service at your location. T-Mobile tends to adjust the tilt on their antennas to minimize sector overlap. This improves service for people in the sector but may create little dead zones at the areas where the sectors overlap. There’s one area about a mile from my home that has very low signal. It’s one of these dead spots midway between three cells.

The reason Android phones are used for cell mapping is that the iOS API doesn’t expose any of the cellular signal information to the programmer.

Badge

Thanks for the info! Will give 611 a try!