Coverage or lack there of...

• 20 July 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am bringing back this article.  I just went to a board meeting recently and I finally have time to talk about this that pertains to 5G coverage. So there will be no more 5Gmm for at least other year from any carrier because it causes cancer/covid.
https://tinyurl.com/yxhjlouy

Do people really believe that 5G causes cancer, or COVID-19? There’s a lot of things I want to say, but IT will sound too political.  I will say one thing…  The biggest surprise I was the youngest person in that meeting at 40 years old.  They believed in faulty data, and generally overall bad science.  They are falling for something that is called Simpsons paradox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebEkn-BiW5k

9 replies

Look it’s plain as the nose on my face.:grinning:

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I am bringing back this article.  I just went to a board meeting recently and I finally have time to talk about this that pertains to 5G coverage. So there will be no more 5Gmm for at least other year from any carrier because it causes cancer/covid.
https://tinyurl.com/yxhjlouy

Do people really believe that 5G causes cancer, or COVID-19? There’s a lot of things I want to say, but IT will sound too political.  I will say one thing…  The biggest surprise I was the youngest person in that meeting at 40 years old.  They believed in faulty data, and generally overall bad science.  They are falling for something that is called Simpsons paradox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebEkn-BiW5k

in this day and age..are you even SLIGHTLY surprised at this? lol

heck a lil while back i had a lady get in my face about the fact that Covid is fake and were all just sheep following along with whatever the Gov wants us to do…

keep in mind she was yelling at me through her mask while she was also wearing gloves.. *shrug*

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

You know, in the last few years, the internet has dropped from 20% to 17% true...can’t imagine how low it will be after this COVID is over...all those trolls out there with time on their hands AND an internet connection!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

The simple fact that almost 99% of ‘5G’ is currently reusing the same spectrum that is 4G, and, with older carriers like AT&T - reusing ‘cellular’ 850MHz… the only true difference is the modulation/scheme of the signal.  The higher the modulation … the cleaner that the signal has to be (i.e. lower power/less overlap).  On a similar note… the ‘signal’ that you recieve from a local WiFi or even your own cell phone is stronger than any ‘cell tower’ due to distance (1/x^2).

The only potential ugly side of ‘5G’ are the higher frequencies for mmWave … and closer proximity required.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

5G mmwave can’t even go through you skin which if it was going to affect anything would be your skin.  Sunlight is far more damaging than mmwave in that regard.  So far most of the studies I have seen have pointed with correlation and not really a causation which brings up like in politics the “Simpson Paradox”

https://tinyurl.com/yxj85385

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Much of the mmWave is really only useful in dense urban areas/arenas/etc.

Badge

Yeah, I don’t necessarily believe that mmWave is really “dangerous” per-se, but I wonder how much testing has been done, in some of these installations.  The low-band stuff is obviously the same as the 4G/LTE, which hasn’t been much of an issue, but boy does it suck, so far, IME.

I’m 4mi almost due-North of TMo HQ, and my ping-latencies are 3-5 times what I get on 4G/LTE.

While the download speeds are usable (about 10-15mbps, on a good day), uploads fall off to zero, and fail, quite often, and I’ve never seen more than 1.25mbps, tops.

Not to mention, my OP8 Pro (INO 2025, OP direct model, should have same radios) has INSANE battery -drain rates, if I leave the 5G radio enabled, I’ve seen idle-drain of 3-7%/hour (i.e. phone is not actively in use, and data-use is very low, all updates and such are going over strong WiFi connection).

Back in the early-90’s, I was working on an OS project, and running a lab (with about 15 test-workers), that had about 100-125 machines, at any given point.  Most of the machines were of the various desktop variety, and as such, had a standard CRT display (anything from 13” to 20” or so).

One of  the workers brought in a EMR meter, from a previous job, one day, on a hoot, and boy did I wish we’d never done that.  While the readings were okay-ish, in the rows in front of the monitors (anywhere in the rows in the lab inevitably had back-facing CRTs, no way around it), if you took the EMR meter into the service-rows, behind the machines/CRTs, the thing was WAY into the red-zone.

Turns out, if you looked up the specs on most of the CRTs, they only listed the front of the screens, and some angle off the front (about 45’ or so) as “EMR safe”.  They rarely gave EMR values for the backs of the screens, but some of the specs did state that they should be powered-down, before working behind them, so that was an eye-opener.

After that (it was hard to ignore it, there was a lot of talk), we signed the service-rows as requiring ALL the CRTs to be turned off, and we wired those into separate power-strips, to make this practical (quite often someone needed to work back there, service various connections, etc).

Again, I don’t think we have any real evidence or reason to fear 5G mmWave, but I would be interested to see the EMR readings, from some of these high-density urban locations, maybe ;-]

I generally think that most of our testing mechanisms have evolved to a huge degree, since this time, but these are “odd times”, where we’re trying to roll-back EPA regs and such, which makes me nervous (again, as you mention, trying to avoid wading into any political context here).  The current FCC has seemed to not care that the privacy act expired, so I’m not exactly impressed by their technical-prowess, as a whole (again, trying NOT to be political, just factual, this did “quietly expire”, without much fanfare, except in the trade-rags)…

Edit: reading my post, I realize I overloaded the thread-topic, so I apologize for that side of things, that really wasn’t my intention.

Badge

On the more immediate 5G coverage/signal topic, I should mention that my phone (again, a stock OP8 Pro, INO2025, OP-direct), is going to the same tower it uses for the B66 4G/LTE coverage, for my abysmal 5G signal.  

To-date, I’ve not been able to get get it to find a secondary tower, and it’s NOT easy to locate 5G tower maps (3G, 4G are pretty easy to find/use), by any stretch?

For now, I’ve just gone back to 4G/LTE settings, due to the battery issues, but I would like to figure out some way to track the progress here, and eventually re-enable 5G, once coverage is a bit more pervasive/solid/reliable.