Question

Coverage problems after switching

So I recently switched my family over to T-Mobile from Verizon, we kept our Verizon phones and were told they would still work with T-Mobile network, now that we have switched over and we have the service, it’s horrible. Our phones always say no service and they always cut out on us and when we are at home we have to pretty much make WiFi calls. I’m really starting to regret switching over, do we need T-Mobile phones to be able to actually use the service or what? Really thinking of switching back if we aren’t ever going to have service .so do we need T-Mobile phones ? Or is there another option for coverage ?

57 replies

My parents, sister and myself switched to T-Mobile. Them from Verizon about 3 months ago and me from ATT.

I move to Southport NC near my parents from Vancouver WA and I was with ATT for 18 years. I only switched because the costs just kept rising to the point one line was costing almost $150 a month. Like I said they ha Verizon and had a similar situation it always seemed the cost were going up.

So we all decided to get a T-Mobile plan t that had a fixed price. And that would be more than half of our combined bill, this sounded great.

Of course they gave a the hard sale promise this and that.

With in the first week of me switching I couldn't make a call from my house. Had 1 maybe 2 bars. Im 10 mile from the water and I have a cell tower 2 miles from my house in line of site and a total of 5 with in 10 mile radius.

With my ATT service I had mostly full bars never a bobble in that service for a year. Now I nearly get service drops all the time. I've call and had service tickets, people saying your to close to the water, we're upgrading the cell towers (2 months now). I'm using an T-Mobile phone moto g7, I wanted to use my Samsung S9 but they made some excuses about a problem with it.

So I now have booster in my house and yes I get full bars but the actual service is no better slow data, constantly slow text send/receiving and call my parents on there phones is like the old Verizon commercial (can you hear me, are you there) if I can even connect. Well Well each other and 50% of the time our phones don't ring even when we are in the same house.

The thing that complicates this is I'm disabled with a rare 1 in 3 million life threatening disease and I have difficulty contact my medical staff or getting messages out. God forbid if I have medical emergency I don't know what I would do.

The one of the funniest thing happened. I had to go to Jacksonville NC for an appointment and we decided to go by the beach up there. We're at the water an low and behold I have full bars and the clearest sound and the fastest data connection I've had since the switch. I thought being by water caused my problems, man I'm confused. So not only did I get 4 new customer for T-Mobile with phones a commission for the sales person but I've got the worst phone service I've had since 2004. The best part of all the call to T-Mobile is how many times I'm told restarting my phone will fix things. I already have restart my phone at least one a day be cause get stuck doing something, that's a joke in this day and age.

I'm thinking it time to give up and switch to something else even if it cost more as long as it works. Im hoping with the 5 or 6 service tickets in 2 months that they won't make an issue of it.

Sorry I'm rambling on, just extremely dissatisfied with the service for what is supposed to be a reputable company and supposedly using the same ATT technology.

My phone never really worked right after switching from iWireless to T-Mobile.  T-Mobile was less than enthusiastic to fix as I had JUST purchased a BRAND NEW Galaxy S8.  I had to switch to Verizon and buy ANOTHER new phone.

Any class action talk?

I switched from Verizon a little over two years ago. Tmobile has always been painfully slow and will never get any better, to those who are waiting for the "network upgrade" they promise when calling support. Just keep reporting the issues, they will eventually just ignore your support requests (like they have done to me) but still important to hold them to their promises of LTE speeds that they can't back up. They admitted their network is terrible during the Sprint merger.

I was informed today that T-Mobile could no longer provide me coverage, because I had been "roaming" for the majority of the last 60 days. Funny, because I've been living in the exact same location for the last 11 months. All of this time my provider has read "Cell One of NE Colorado" and not T-Mobile, but they're no longer willing to provide me service. This, after iWireless informed me that I HAD to join T-Mobile because my phone wasn't yet paid for and the account was going to be transferred to them for collections. But I'd get a nifty discount if I did so...Anyone experience something similar?

Our whole office switched over hoping to save money! It has been frustrating, to say the least. And not worth the little we save. We have a tower right in our small town and the coverage is still terrible. It drops calls daily. I have called in and stopped at TMobile stores and they change settings, but nothing helps. We have to use Facebook Messenger Calling or FaceTime to make calls if we are hoping to not experience dropped calls.

That's what I want to do even though Verizon cost more. My coverage in stores and hospitals has been very awful. My husband has Verizon and has no problems. I just got a new phone so not sure sure if I can switch now.

@tmo_chris I am frustrated, but I'm going to stick around for a while and hope it gets better.   I looked at switching back and Verizon is just too expensive.  My bill dropped $100 when I switched.  I'll try to take advantage of wifi and make the best of it.   Go back 15 years and this is great service!   Appreciate all the help.

Re-read what you sent me. Everything about T-Mobile has “failed.” Had another situation this morning in which I was in a location in downtown Durham and could not connect to T-Mobile.

Kathryn Armentrout Daily

919-608-0118

Userlevel 5

@samuraidaugherty - Thanks for trying that! I am glad to hear that a support ticket was opened for you. This is going to be the best was to get this addressed.

@magenta7792328 - I am so sorry you have had to call so much! That is definitely not normal... Do you know if a support request was failed during any of your calls?

Thank you for your reply. I have called your Team of Experts six times. Cell service is still consistently poor.  I am a very unhappy customer.  Once I was transferred to tech support, and I held for 30 minutes without  being connected.  I gave up on minute 31. Last night I had to make a very urgent and important phone call; person on the other end said my voice was “garbled” and they only got every-other word. I had to borrow a phone that had “real” service. This was in downtown Durham, NC. How does T-Mobile get away with selling phone service that does not exist?

Well if you zoom in on the map and put marker on the area it it says fair coverage that means you might might not get service the service can range from anything to one to two bars and technically nos service indoors or no service at all you can see if you can get two or three bars if you see any good LTE spot or excellent LTE signal spot close that would mean that there is coverage but if you do see those spots far then that means that the fair coverage means that you may have may not coverage.

I tried that yesterday actually. Found some info on a different thread suggesting it, and it didn't seem to help. However, when it first turned on, it showed full bars for just a split second, and then back to one bar. The Facebook support lady said she put in a ticket with support about it.

Userlevel 5

@summitx02 - There are no cancellation penalties if you leave us. As for the phone you purchased through us, if it as done in an EIP and not a JUMP on demand lease, it would need to be fully paid off before we can unlock it. If the device was purchased on a JOD lease, you may be able to qualify for the lifetime coverage guarantee.

@samuraidaugherty - Both of those zip codes have pretty good coverage. On your phone, can you please try resetting your network settings.  Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. If you are still having issues with coverage in good coverage areas, please do call us when you have a moment so our Team of Experts folks can get some engineering service requests open for these areas.

@tmo_chris  I have checked the map and it calls for good coverage in all of the areas where I have dead spots.  I have no choice but to leave at this point, but I need someone to confirm that there is no penalty for leaving after receiving my #getoutofthered reimbursement.  Customer service says there isn't but I need something in writing.  Also, I'm stuck with a T-mobile phone that I now have to pay off before they will unlock it.    Very dissapointed 

Yes, I brought my own phone from Verizon. It's an iPhone 7, running the latest software update. The zip code at my house is 61603 and where I work is 61616, and it's happening both places. My wife is having the same issue on her LG G7 as well.

Userlevel 5

@summitx02 - I just took a look at that ZIP code and we have some pretty good coverage there! When you pull up our Coverage Map ​what does it say you should be getting for your exact address?

@magenta7792328 - Looking at 27712, it is a bit less covered than Durham but we do have coverage there. And in Durham, we have some pretty amazing coverage.

I totally understand the importance of having reliable coverage and if you are finding that you do not have coverage in an area that our map says you should, please do call our Team of Experts folks when you have a chance so we can take a closer look at towers that are supposed to be serving your specific area.

@samuraidaugherty - Your issue sounds a bit different. Did you bring your own phone when you switched to us? If so, what kind of phone is it and what specific model? Also, what is your specific zip code where you notice the coverage is weakest?

Good to know, but I doubt it will generate any results.   i'm hopefull T-mobile will reach out to me with some kind of help.  I've called support four times

Class action lawsuit might be the next thing - Technically, the "getoutofthered" program is proving fraudulent

Keep us posted @magenta7792328

I just filed a complaint with the FCC about T-Mobile service.  The FCC makes it very easy to file a service complaint on line; just go to FCC.com

@magenta7792328 that does suck. I checked the map, and typed in the addresses of all the usual places I go. Almost everywhere says "Excellent Service" or "Good Service". Always says it should work in most homes and buildings. But I've got nothing. I'm standing outside my office with "Excellent Coverage" and I have one bar. One! I'm outside! And when I tried to call my wife, she said it kept cutting out and asked me to repeat myself.

Switching to T-Mobile was my idea, so she's going to start hating me soon I think.

I have the same phone, switched from Verizon and have the same issues with T-Mobile. Either I miss important calls or what should take a few seconds ends up taking several minutes. Sales person the coverage excellent at my address. When I zoom in on the map, it says that service is only fair and my not work inside. I feel like I was scammed by T-Mobile. We dropped our land line and when I have no service I am stranded in my own house!!! Thanks T-Mobile.

According to the map, I live in an area that is supposed to get great coverage. Today, my son's school was trying to reach me, because my son had a bloody nose at school. It never occurred to me that I would have NO SERVICE for no reason. I missed several calls. I finally turned on airplane mode, and turned it back off again, and it picked up one bar. And 15 minutes later is says no service again.

T-Mobile sent me a text message survey. "Take our 2 minute survey!" Well, it took 30 minutes, because service kept cutting out and my responses wouldn't send. According to the map, I'm supposed to have great service. I seriously regret switching to T-Mobile. The bill is a lot cheaper, but the service sucks. There's no nice way to say it, I'm just gonna have to spend a lot more money and go back to Verizon. I've NEVER had this problem with them, and I'm even using the same phone. iPhone 7. I'm pretty annoyed. What good is unlimited everything, when you never have service to use it? This is dumb. Sort your map out so you look more honest.

Service is bad no matter where I go in my house. Always one bar or no service

27712, but it happens throughout Durham, NC

@tmo_chris

I'm in 59718 - Bozeman Montana.   Service is great most of the time but I've found dead spots all over town.   I seem to find new ones every day.  Sadly, one of those spots is my office where I work!  I didn't notice at first because wifi kicks in and I can make and receive calls.   But, if I'm on a call when I drive up or when I leave, it drops and I can't get back on for a minute or so.

Userlevel 5

Hey @magenta7792328 and @summitx02

Sorry to hear you are having coverage issues 😥 Can you folks provide me with your zip codes and nearest major cross streets? Also, are either of you able to get better coverage in different areas around your home area?