Question

coverage when out of the US?

• 4 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

we will be on a cruise in caribbean soon

will we be able to use our phones - calling, texting?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I would keep the phone on air plane mode while on the cruise ship or near it since roaming charges are hefty.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

You don’t tell us what plan your phones are on. If you are on prepaid or essentials, your international roaming is much less than on a postpaid plan.

As @gramps28 says, cruise ships have their own cellular systems which operate when they are at sea. Roaming these systems is incredibly expensive, except for incoming texts. If you have kids with phones, just take the phones away when they’re on the ship. Ships also have WiFi but you usually have to pay a fee per device to access the WiFi for the duration of the cruise.

Most places inport will be free (but slow) data, free texts and 25¢/min calls.

Maybe if you were more specific about your plan and the ports you plan to visit. Even the cruise ship.

Going out of San Juan to Aruba, Curacao, Greneda, St Lucia and St. Kitts.  Is there coverage there?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Going out of San Juan to Aruba, Curacao, Greneda, St Lucia and St. Kitts.  Is there coverage there?

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/international-calling

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Best thing to do is buy the data package the cruise ship sells and make all your calls over Wi-Fi calling. Roaming on cruise ships is extremely expensive.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/international-roaming-checklist

I leave US, travel to Mexico until January, even i cross the border i lost my service... it appears connected in my cellphone,linked to TELCEL network, but no data, no cell callsand not internet service… the customer support is always busy, someone can help me? i dont know how to do… maybe changing my APN?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Make sure that your device has setting for ‘Data Roaming’ as ‘Enabled’.

Samsung:  Settings → Connections → Mobile Networks → Data Roaming