Data Roaming in Canada Not Working!!!

• 8 December 2019
  • 55 replies

• First activity
  • 5 replies

Help! I’m visiting Canada. I usually do for 4 days every month.  I’ve not had any issues until this trip. I have coverage, 4 bars with Bell or Telus LTE or 3G but I can’t get data to work. This is incredibly inconvenient. 
I‘ve tried tech support multiple times and they have opened a ticket. This is since Thursday and I have not heard back. I head back to the US tonight so I’m not sure they will resolve it.  I’m back visiting in 2 weeks for the holidays. I’m considering changing to Verizon because I’ll be in Canada for 2 weeks and no data leaves me in a tough spot (can’t get an uber, no iMessage, no google maps etc).

Have tried:

Reset Network Settings

#766#
LTE and 3G

Auto carrier and manually select (Telus and Bell)

Restarted phone, hard restart

What else can I try? This is so inconvenient.

55 replies

I’m also in Vancouver right now and haven’t been able to connect to Bell or Telus (partner networks) or get any kind of data since last Tuesday (11/22). I am able to make calls. I spoke with Tmobile representatives about 5-6 times, they do a lot of trouble shooting on the phone (check data roaming is on, check network selection, reboot things on their end, I turn something on and off again then reboot my phone a million times etc etc) nothing is working. Each time the conversation ends with the representative opening up a ‘ticket’ regarding this issue. Finally a representative told me to call Bell to see if there’s something going on, so I did and Bell told me it was nothing on their end and I need to call Tmobile to figure it out. It’s maddening!! I’m on the prepaid ‘Mobile Without Borders’ plan. Is anyone else experiencing this or in the same position? 

Badge

I’m also in Vancouver right now and haven’t been able to connect to Bell or Telus (partner networks) or get any kind of data since last Tuesday (11/22). I am able to make calls. I spoke with Tmobile representatives about 5-6 times, they do a lot of trouble shooting on the phone (check data roaming is on, check network selection, reboot things on their end, I turn something on and off again then reboot my phone a million times etc etc) nothing is working. Each time the conversation ends with the representative opening up a ‘ticket’ regarding this issue. Finally a representative told me to call Bell to see if there’s something going on, so I did and Bell told me it was nothing on their end and I need to call Tmobile to figure it out. It’s maddening!! I’m on the prepaid ‘Mobile Without Borders’ plan. Is anyone else experiencing this or in the same position? 

this cannot be a coincidence. But my problem is that i cannot even connect to any cnd network..bell...telus..etc...will not connect for voice or data

It can’t be a coincidence! I can make and receive calls off of wireless but that’s it, weird that is working for me and not you. I’ve been on this plan since 2015 and have only had one problem previously, never for this long of a time

I have the exact same problem, over 2 weeks and T-Mobile refuses to help, except for their constant trouble-shooting protocols that never work. I’ve swapped sims into different phones, restarted my phone, airplane mode, reset networks, they manually reset it on their ends. They made me connect to different providers/networks to see if it would work. Absolutely no help. I’ve spoke to 2+ supervisors that were as useless as the technicians.

I even purchased a new IPhone as it was time to upgrade, and was told that it was still my phone that was the issue, I am also with a prepaid plan with the additional Mexico and Canada Roaming. I’m currently in Toronto Ontario for the time being, and I am unwilling to speak to another dismissive employee. As they say it is my problem and that the Data is still active on my plan, but shows 0 usage for this month… I wonder why….

I can make regular calls, and text people but the moment it involves data and I am not connect to Wi-Fi, I get no data. Not even slow data…. absolutely 0 data!

I’m changing providers when I arrive back in the United States. I’ve never had any issues in the past 3-4 years I’ve been with T-Mobile until now and not happy with their customer service. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

how long have you been in Canada? short stents or a more than say half a month at a go?

I’ve been back in Canada for four months. Before that I was here for a year and a half without any issues.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

could have sworn the majority of your data consumption must be in the U.S compared to Int data roaming.

one of the other posters in here will know more on this one than i do..just wanted to get a tad bit of info out there for them to work with.

I am ALSO having exactly the same problem with both myself and my wife’s iPhones. We crossed the Canadian border from the US yesterday and within a few miles data stopped working despite having paid for the international packs.

Multiple calls to customer service were useless… did all the things mentioned previously including manually selecting all the different networks. No problems with signal at all. And customer service told us we were both well below the 5gig data limit.

This is rather disgraceful that T-Mobile hasn’t addressed this. Unless it is resolved shortly we will also be changing providers when we are back in the US.

Just an update for anyone interested, my data suddenly began working yesterday and everything is 100% back to normal. I didn’t do anything or make any new calls, just woke up and it was fixed. Maybe all those ‘tickets’ the T-mobile representatives issued had some kind of impact?

Yes myself and my husband are both having the same issue. He has a newer iPhone and have a Samsung  note20.  We have went through all their troubleshooting. Gotten a new Sim. Called multiple times. Nothing helps. He actually lives there but never switched dnumbers from when he lived here so it's so super inconvenient to not have data. Calls and texts work fine. On my phone it says to "sign into telus network' but when I click on it it takes me to T-Mobile advertisements.  Very frustrating! 

I have same issue as others data roaming in Canada not working I spent at least 50hrs trying to trouble shoot with different customer service people and 10 escalation calls still was not solved. Recently they asked me to replace SIM but still does not work. The service broke 2 months back with autopay disabled and subsequently I added it .  I believe this was done by t-mobile so people won’t use data. I have switched partners like bell, tells & Rogers iit is not working. Also switched a new phone to test still does not work. I am going to switch to AT&T. Very bad service being with them for 6 years they treat customer badly, not honoring their commitments on the contract.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Sadly, Canada roaming was the reason I left At&t in 2015 for TMobile.   I've used the roaming quite a bit, but only calling/text since covid

I’m also in Vancouver and cannot get any data service on my iPhone 11 with iOS 15.1 — calls and text are fine, but I have zero ability to connect to the internet. I spoke to T-Mobile and they added an unlimited data pass to my account, but it still didn’t work.

I tried all the possible combinations of Cellular Data settings and it just does not function. I did not have any problems the last time I was in Vancouver 2 years ago. The T-Mobile rep said that they escalated the issue, but it’s been 5 days and I never received a solution. Now I’m going back to the US.

Also in Canada right now and cannot access data. Was on the phone with reps, tried all their troubleshoots, and other ideas in this thread. Rep says they’ve escalated but haven’t got resolution yet. Leaving in a couple days... curious why I paid extra for this...

I am having the same issue since Oct 2021, I can text and call, but no data. It always says "sign into telus network” or “ign into Bell network’

Glad I’m not going crazy! Just landed in Vancouver a few hours ago and cannot connect to data on any network. Receiving calls and texts just fine, but can’t use any data. I’m on a prepaid plan, iPhone. I recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile, but will have to switch back if this isn’t fixed because I travel often between the USA and Canada, and not having reliable data is a non-starter for me.

Same issue with data romaing in Vancouver. Wondering why they don't look into this

I have the exact same problem, over 2 weeks and T-Mobile refuses to help, except for their constant trouble-shooting protocols that never work. I’ve swapped sims into different phones, restarted my phone, airplane mode, reset networks, they manually reset it on their ends. They made me connect to different providers/networks to see if it would work. Absolutely no help. I’ve spoke to 2+ supervisors that were as useless as the technicians.

I even purchased a new IPhone as it was time to upgrade, and was told that it was still my phone that was the issue, I am also with a prepaid plan with the additional Mexico and Canada Roaming. I’m currently in Toronto Ontario for the time being, and I am unwilling to speak to another dismissive employee. As they say it is my problem and that the Data is still active on my plan, but shows 0 usage for this month… I wonder why….

I can make regular calls, and text people but the moment it involves data and I am not connect to Wi-Fi, I get no data. Not even slow data…. absolutely 0 data!

I’m changing providers when I arrive back in the United States. I’ve never had any issues in the past 3-4 years I’ve been with T-Mobile until now and not happy with their customer service. 

Did you ever find a solution??

If so many people are calling in with the same problem T Mobile and the reps know this is a common issue and just forwarding people to empty “tickets” knowing it won't be resolved

Why are there no T Mobile reps in here giving any response??

I’m having the same issue in Toronto, and I never had this issue before as I travel regularly to and from US / Canada.  

I also notice all websites redirect to T Mobile.com, which make me think they are blocking it somehow.  Also I notice the only site that works while roaming data is broken is bing.com…. very weird.

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with the roaming data in Canada. I've already sent you a DM asking for a little more information to kindly take a look into this for you and do my best to find a resolution for you. I'll be looking forward to your reply 2 chainz

I am still experiencing the same issue after several phone calls with T-Mobile customer service-- this issue has been ongoing for several months. Is anyone else experiencing the same? I get prompted to sign into the Bell network every time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Why are there no T Mobile reps in here giving any response??

You’d be better off using the T-Mobile app (ugh), Facebook/Twitter , or dialing 611.  This site here isn’t meant for realtime updates, but more for customers posting issues.

Won’t be easy to post w/o data, you may need to dial.

Badge

Same issue with data romaing in Vancouver. Wondering why they don't look into this

I am experiencing the same problem in Vancouver the past few days. No internet connection. I chat with a very nice customer service associate. That associate called Technical support. he and  Technical support tried to call me directly but was routed to voicemail. Now he tells me to call Customer service. I think I am going to leave T mobile after this trip.

Badge

I am still experiencing the same issue after several phone calls with T-Mobile customer service-- this issue has been ongoing for several months. Is anyone else experiencing the same? I get prompted to sign into the Bell network every time.

Yes, the problem is still going on. I called them the last few days. No one is able to solve it.