Data Roaming in Canada Not Working!!!

• 8 December 2019
  • 56 replies

• First activity
  • 5 replies

Help! I’m visiting Canada. I usually do for 4 days every month.  I’ve not had any issues until this trip. I have coverage, 4 bars with Bell or Telus LTE or 3G but I can’t get data to work. This is incredibly inconvenient. 
I‘ve tried tech support multiple times and they have opened a ticket. This is since Thursday and I have not heard back. I head back to the US tonight so I’m not sure they will resolve it.  I’m back visiting in 2 weeks for the holidays. I’m considering changing to Verizon because I’ll be in Canada for 2 weeks and no data leaves me in a tough spot (can’t get an uber, no iMessage, no google maps etc).

Have tried:

Reset Network Settings

#766#
LTE and 3G

Auto carrier and manually select (Telus and Bell)

Restarted phone, hard restart

What else can I try? This is so inconvenient.

56 replies

Badge

Help! I’m visiting Canada. I usually do for 4 days every month.  I’ve not had any issues until this trip. I have coverage, 4 bars with Bell or Telus LTE or 3G but I can’t get data to work. This is incredibly inconvenient. 
I‘ve tried tech support multiple times and they have opened a ticket. This is since Thursday and I have not heard back. I head back to the US tonight so I’m not sure they will resolve it.  I’m back visiting in 2 weeks for the holidays. I’m considering changing to Verizon because I’ll be in Canada for 2 weeks and no data leaves me in a tough spot (can’t get an uber, no iMessage, no google maps etc).

Have tried:

Reset Network Settings

#766#
LTE and 3G

T-mobile’s CEO Mike Sievert is on Twitter. Let him know about your issues. Good luck

Badge

Why are there no T Mobile reps in here giving any response??

You’d be better off using the T-Mobile app (ugh), Facebook/Twitter , or dialing 611.  This site here isn’t meant for realtime updates, but more for customers posting issues.

Won’t be easy to post w/o data, you may need to dial.

CEO Mike Sievert is on Twitter. Tweet him!

Just wanted to add a data point, I've been in Canada three times over the past year (a week in November, a month in December, and my current trip starting from yesterday) and have not been able to access data services during any of my trips. SMS and calling works fine, and I'm on an iPhone 13 Pro. This has been consistent in multiple cities such as Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver.

I am considering switching carriers at this point, which is a shame because I was quite happy with the domestic service but can't justify the difficulty with data access whenever I visit family or friends for longer periods. 

Badge

Just wanted to add a data point, I've been in Canada three times over the past year (a week in November, a month in December, and my current trip starting from yesterday) and have not been able to access data services during any of my trips. SMS and calling works fine, and I'm on an iPhone 13 Pro. This has been consistent in multiple cities such as Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver.

I am considering switching carriers at this point, which is a shame because I was quite happy with the domestic service but can't justify the difficulty with data access whenever I visit family or friends for longer periods. 

Last resort… email Mike Sievert. Good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Have tried:

Reset Network Settings

#766#
LTE and 3G

T-mobile’s CEO Mike Sievert is on Twitter. Let him know about your issues. Good luck

Email will have them call you.  Twitter ends up with general  TFORCE customer support

Can I ask what typically data speeds are in the major cities of Canada? Will be traveling soon and need to know how much they throttle you? Am I better off getting a data only SIM from Telus or Bell?