Question

data roaming is turned on/off message

Badge

I am frequently in Canada.  I received a data roaming notification that allows me to click cancel or go to settings to turn OFF roaming.  If I turn off roaming I receive a notification that allows me to click cancel or go to settings to turn ON roaming. 

No mater what I do I have this message every couple of minutes.  It affects everything I do on my as it will not allow me to continue without choosing cancel.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

15 replies

Sounds like it maybe a glitch. I'm having the same issue with my S22 Ultra in Mexico right now. 

For what it's worth, I didn't have that issue in Canada earlier this year on a S21.

Hi, I have this problem also. I have the international global plan but every 5 mins I get the roaming message. When I cancel it pops back up in 5 mins. Very annoying. Any figure out how to stop it? It's like yes I know I'm roaming that's the point.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Ok.. I’ve been to Canada ‘many’ times on T-Mobile’s Simple Choice and T-Mobile One Plan, and I usually get the ‘Welcome To Canada’ message, and have no issues with Roaming.

I’m not sure why your messages are flapping, outside of the possibility that you are on some legacy plan, or T-Mobile itself has a data block on your plan  You may want to try and get in touch with them on this.  My first trip with T-Mobile in Canada had my phone on ‘no’ Data Roaming, and I didn’t get any warnings.. but Google maps (and literally anything else outside of text/call) wouldn’t work.

Badge

Thank you for your reply.  I didn’t have an issue with my S9, I just upgraded to a S21 and now I receive these messages…  I’ll contact Tmobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

So, it’s the message that bothers you? Because it keeps popping up, over and over? Last time I visited Canada (2018), I don’t recall getting anything like this. What phone are you using? Never mind. You posted the answer to my question while I was typing it.

I agree. Try calling Customer Care. (Don’t expect a solution but they could surprise you.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a Samsung software glitch.  I am currently in Canada for the weekend and I haven't seen any messages about my data roaming being on with my OnePlus 8T+ 5G.  I always leave data roaming on though because I vitit Canada frequently and also need to ro on to US Cellular when in parts of Southern West Virginia.  

Yeah, I agree. It makes no sense to not have a silence permanently option on the message. Sometimes you intend to roam!

I have exactly this problem with a OnePlus 8T in Belgium - endless pop-ups about data roaming, whether the data roaming is ON or OFF.  The problem started when I turned off Automatic Network selection (at the request of a T-Mobile technician!!) as I tried to actually get data in Belgium - which T-Mobile USA has promised but not delivered.  Even after I turned Automatic Network selection back ON, the endless pop-ups continue every 30 seconds or so.  The pop-ups have essentially bricked my phone -- not that it was very useful without cellular data on an extended stay in Belgium.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I know this is an old thread but I just noticed what I didn’t ask, “How far into Canada?”  If just across the border, the OP could be registering back onto T-Mobile, then back on the Canadian carrier, flip-flopping back and forth, each flip looking like a new visit.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Just as a note, I was just in Canada, and roaming worked fine on Bell (302-610) or ‘Bell/Telus’.  As I have a Samsung S21, I could only get LTE, but performance was very good for the most part.  Up to ~250Mbps.  This was across New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI.  This is on a T-Mobile One plan.

I am deep in Mexico and on vacation and consstantly get the same pop-up message. If I click “cancel” it will go away for 5 minutes or a couple of hours. If I click “continue” it oky give me the option to turn roaming off. It’s slightly annoying but not the end of the world. At least I have acceptable 4g service almost everywhere I go. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

What plan are you on? If you’re like me, there’s no down-side to leaving data roaming on.

Badge

It doesn’t matter if I turn it off or on, I still get a message that it is turned on or off.  See attached message.

Same problem with my new S22.

I'm traveling in Germany and it's the first time outside US since purchasing the phone. EVERY FREAKING TIME I unlock my phone, I have to, once again, say CANCEL. Yes, I know I'm roaming. No, I don't want to turn Roaming off. Yes, I still don't care that I'm roaming. No, I no longer appreciate the reminder. And I wish I could find the solution to this problem. 

A good alternative to Turn Off This Reminder Permanently, is the typical conditional response options:

Turn on reminder in 1 hour,

Turn on reminder until reboot, 

Turn off reminder permanently, and here's how to turn it back on.

(sigh)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am in Canada now and will be here for a couple of weeks.  I got one text when I arrived up here saying, “Welcome to Canada!  Your plan includes coverage that gives you 5GB a month of high speed data on us, plus unlimited calls and texts to and from the US at no extra cost.  Enjoy your stay!”, and haven’t had a single message since.  I have been up here for just over a week now.  I am on the One Plan and I am using a OnePlus 8T+ 5G currently.