Question

data usage in mexico

• 5 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

if we go to mexico on vacation and use the 5 gig of high speed data...do we get ramped down to the 2g or 3g and is it included...OR...do we get charged for more data usage?

8 replies

Badge

Same question, except Canada, not Mexico.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Since you mention “5 GB of high speed” I assume you have a plan that includes international data/text roaming (Magenta or Magenta Max). If you read the terms and conditions it will tell you that your data/text remains included but drops to 3G or lower speed after your 5 GB of high speed data is exceeded. Once you arrive at our destination and turn on cell, you should get a text from TMO that tells you exactly what you are getting in that country. If you want more than 5 GB of high speed, you can pay for that option.

Badge

Thank you, Cali cat.  That's what I thought (about the data getting slowed down, but wasn't sure. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It isn't just slowed down.  It's borderline unusable.  I roam up in Canada at least a couple of times a year.  5GB is very easy to burn though.  Once you go over 5GB in a billing cycle period, it's so slow, you will want to pay for more data or seek out WiFi.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve used 5GB in Canada (this past summer).  No extra charge.  It actually worked well (mostly on Bell).

After ~1 week, I was getting my 5GB warning that I’d be slowed.  You won’t get charged, but you’ll slow down to ~2G ish speeds.

Badge

Sounds like I’ll need to keep a close watch on data usage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sounds like I’ll need to keep a close watch on data usage.

or figure out where all the free wifi connections are and utilize them as much as possible for data consuming things.

Badge

I’ve used 5GB in Canada (this past summer).  No extra charge.  It actually worked well (mostly on Bell).

After ~1 week, I was getting my 5GB warning that I’d be slowed.  You won’t get charged, but you’ll slow down to ~2G ish speeds.

thank you for the info!