Solved

Delay receiving group text messages on iPhone 7+

I have been having trouble delay receiving (sometimes up to 12 hours and all the messages come in at once after the 12 hours) group text for a couple months.  This has been on going and I called Apple and T-Mobile for the last couple of months.  I changed out a new sim card.  My group text only includes 2 other people, one is an android phone on T-Mobile service and the other is an iPhone 7+ with Verizon service.  I restored my phone and still having the same issue.  I called T-Mobile and they keep creating trouble tickets and escalated to their engineers.  T-Mobile also did a purge on my account and still an issue.  Still they said they don't see anything wrong.  I contacted Apple and said it is on T-Mobile's end.  I have been a T-Mobile member for at least 12 years, I would hate to go to another provider.  But, what is the use of paying for a service that does not work.

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 1 August 2018, 23:46

Hey @cnr100

We are changing the way we are tracking and recording this issue. Please contact us with the following information so that our tech support folks can open an engineering service request.

3 examples less than 24 hours old of when a message that was sent via a group message was delayed.

View original

138 replies

@husseinsharif i totally agree. Just to give you a heads up. I had them create 3 different tickets to watch it. Essentially what happens is that they get hung up in the network. You can fix it by rebooting your phone or taking yourself off of WiFi. Even with WiFi calling turned off, for some reason, being connected to WiFi really makes a difference. They eventually said that it was because I had an AT&T phone and it won’t ever really play nice with their network. (One of the techs used too work for AT&T and new that they installed settings that can’t be changed that won’t ever play nice on other networks even if the phone is unlocked) We plan on purchasing the new iPhone 12 when it comes out so our problem is temporary. They also recently updated one of the towers near me and it seems to have made it better. Yesterday I received 5 image texts in real time. Also some group texts are coming in faster. It seems like the network takes several days to get caught up. So it is getting better. I put up with it till my new phone is released for 2 reasons. Their 5g and my bill is $200 cheaper than AT&T. And they are really friendly to deal with and easy to get ahold of. I hope that helps to satisfy your frustration. It kind of helped me.

Same issue.  Switched from Sprint to Tmobile - problems immediately.  There are enough data points on this forum (and Reddit, and everywhere).  This is clearly a TMobile problem that TMobile hasn’t invested in solving.

I just switched to t Mobile from AT&T. And both my fiancé and I are having this same issue. What was the resolution?

Same problem here. A couple days ago I received about 12 old group messages all at once

Userlevel 5

Hey folks, our engineers are working to reproduce this issue in the labs but we also want to gather as many user examples as possible. Please contact us when you have a moment with the information and our techs can get a support request opened up.

Tell me about it. He’s asked everyone the same exact information. Can’t they just try to reproduce it themselves instead of us here giving them what we think is happening? I am also sure that they are just ignoring our information because not enough people are reporting this to justify a fix.

Chris,

This seems to be a wide spread problem and easy to reproduce, I’m not sure why you ask everyone to provide all the phone numbers in 3 different occasions to look into the issue.

Same problem here. This is happening on all of my MMS (not iMessage) groups. One on one MMS works fine. iMessage everything works fine. The green/MMS groups don't work. I will get all the messages at once in 12+ hours, guaranteed. iPhone 7 plus. Very frustrating!

Same issue here. I recently switched to T-Mobile from att and now I have issues with group texting. we have 10 people in our chat, and this issue seems to be happening (at different times) with all of us with T-Mobile.  One person switched to Verizon and problem went away.

We we need a fix for this.

iphone x, most users in group are iPhone, I think we have one maybe two android users. I can message directly or be messaged directly without issue. Only group text has the issue.

Userlevel 5

Hey @cnr100

We are changing the way we are tracking and recording this issue. Please contact us with the following information so that our tech support folks can open an engineering service request.

3 examples less than 24 hours old of when a message that was sent via a group message was delayed.

I am having this issue. Haven't received a group message with a non iPhone in at least 24 hours

Userlevel 5

I sent you a private message @brian_sj

I have this same issue with group text with a non iMessage user. The issue happens on both iPhone 7 plus and iPhone X. Texts are delayed for 6-10 hours and all texts suddenly coming in at once.

Userlevel 5

Hey @ycanillo

I just sent you a private message as well.

Chris,

I am also having the same problem as everyone else here. Important group messages were not received till about 36 hours later and there are only 2 other people in the group. One android user and one iPhone X and both are under a different network. Please let me know what to do to get this resolved because I’m starting to think about switching back to Verizon.

Thanks.

Hey Chris,

Sorry Friday was a busy day at work.

Diallo West

Userlevel 5

Hey @diawest

I just sent you a private message as well.

Hey @tmo_chris,

I’m having the same issue. I’ve reset my phone back to factory settings and it will fix the problem for a day. I’ve reset the network and that works for a few hours. It’s very frustrating.

Userlevel 5

Hey @taramaria23 

I just sent you a private message 😊

Same here. In one group, everyone is actually an iPhone user but but one does not have iMessaging enabled. I’ve been in a group  with the other 4 members for years, but once the non IMessaging member was added, this problem started.  This issue also impacts another group that included an Android user.

Userlevel 5

Hey @magenta5639378 

I just sent you a private message.

Chris,

My wife and daughter  just traveled to Europe. I was trying to have a group text with them and my daughter was receiving the texts but my wife was not until she was on wifi. The messages were sent between 3:28am and 3:48am eastern time on 7/24. My wife and I have iphone 6s and my daughter a 8 plus. I see from the thread that this issue does not seem to be resolved. If you need more info I will be happy to provide it.

Userlevel 5

@nikibid​, @tkas @starterman8686​, @redria​ and @madj42

I just sent each of you a private message. Thanks for posting to our community!

Same issue here on my wife's new iPhone X.  She had an iPhone 6s and since moving to the X, she's had nothing but issues.

iPhone X, same issue. It is almost as though data itself is choked up for whatever the reason. When I know a text has gone out and that it hasn’t arrived yet I will check other services that are internet facing such as Discord or Twitch and they will be unable to connect despite having full LTE bars.

To correct the device I usually have to make a phone call, and after a long connection delay the call connects and text messages start pouring in all at once.