Solved

Different Signal Strengths

• 28 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

My son has an iPhoneX and I have a Galaxy C71 and we will be sitting in the same room and I will have four bars while he only has two. Does anyone know why this is happening?

icon

Best answer by tmbileuser 7 September 2020, 21:23

each phone is probably switched to a different channel band. (one phone could switch to a better, closer band if it supports it)

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

each phone is probably switched to a different channel band. (one phone could switch to a better, closer band if it supports it)

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

iPhone’s are not known for having great radios, especially compared to Samsung.  Each manufacturer though, sets how much signal strength translates into bars displayed.  If the phones are getting the same -dB, then it’s just the software interpreting that.  If the -dB is weaker on the iPhone, it’s probably those Intel modems being fairly craptastic.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This is true. normally iphones do better on the att side, how it shows the signal, compared to other carriers with the iphone.

I also believe that a iphone that has 2 bars would be just as great as a phone with 4 bars.

if they are both running great, do a speed test. same server of course, next to each other. unless one phone is more capable, they should both have identical speeds. generally receiving the same signal, if its the same channel.

if one is faster, then it’s on a different band, probably closer. still wouldn't worry about it :]