Question

Discord and Gaming applications no longer work on 5G

Userlevel 2
Badge

When I first got my Inseego 5G with 100gb plan, it was incredibly fast and a dream come true for where I live; AT&T here has max 25mb\s DL and 1.5mb\s UL and averages 55ms latency while on T-Mobile 5G I was getting 70mb\s DL and 20mb\s UL and 40ms latency.

As of last week, discord and games no longer work on 5G on this hotspot. I talked to technical support and I mostly did my own troubleshooting. Finally I decided to test it using a VPN and everything worked  again (meaning it is not the device) at the cost of some speed due to a VPN being a middle man making it slightly worse than 4G. So basically I have no use of a VPN other than testing.

So I came to the conclusion that T-Mobile took it upon themselves to block these applications on 5G. I also read that if you use more than 50gb you may be slowed “due to congestion”.

Its fine though, at least I can still watch all the bandwidth hogging stuff like Youtube, twitch, etc but gaming stuff that uses the least amount of data is an issue, there is a lot of logic there.

If I buy 100gb worth the high speed data, I WANT 100GB OF HIGH SPEED DATA. THATS WHAT I AM PAYING YOU FOR, NOT 50GB AND MAYBE MORE IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT. 5G low band is much more consistent where I live than 4G. What makes this even less defensible is Tmobile Home internet is the same price for UNLIMITED yet still uses 5G.

But I am going to be nice, I am going to give a chance to fix it before that next billing cycle since I got a $50 credit for an unrelated issue. This basically false advertising and I dont know what is worse, thinking you can do that kind of stuff and get away with it, or assuming that your customers are stupid.

So my question is this, why in the world would you sell me a 100GB data plan if you going to bend me over anytime you want? (BTW it gets reduced to 2G speeds after 100gb which is only 5kb\s or like 56K days so you cant actually use more than you bought) I would of never left AT&T if I knew I would have to use 4G LTE for latency driven applications, though for some people 4G is awesome but as I said, 5G has more range and is much more stable where I live and the applications that are being blocked were the whole reason I got this hotspot in the first place.

There is some serious logical and ethnical faults in this service in the very least. 

BTW, video games and VOIP isn’t “misusing data”, there is absolutely no reason these should be blocked or effected in anyway when they use far less data than the applications you yourself promote. For anyone that wants to know, games typically stream 5-10kb\s multiplayer, they are only hindered by latency. Discord voip typically sits around 100kb\s give or take; in comparison, a 480P video streams between 1-1.5mb\s. See the issue?

19 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update: I been reassured repeatedly that the issue is with the latest update to the device, I will update this once the patch has been received.

Is this an Inseego Firmware update you are referring to?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is this an Inseego Firmware update you are referring to?

Yes the most recent one (3T Update); this is why you should have the ability to rollback drivers…..assuming its true.

Right now….my hotspot is getting 1-2 bars on 4G LTE, my 6 year old phone is keeping steady 3-4 bars, and 5G stayed a constant 3 bars.

I honestly should just get magenta max on my phone and use it as a hotspot lmao

I have the same device and the same problem.  Roughly a week ago, my speeds dropped and I can't play online games anymore.  I can only watch streaming videos.  I'm only at 66.5 out of my 100gb.  Very frustrating.  I got mine in March and never had a problem before.  Really hoping this gets resolved soon, because this is unbearable. I can't get regular internet where I live, so this is the best option.  And it was working until about a week ago.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same device and the same problem.  Roughly a week ago, my speeds dropped and I can't play online games anymore.  I can only watch streaming videos.  I'm only at 66.5 out of my 100gb.  Very frustrating.  I got mine in March and never had a problem before.  Really hoping this gets resolved soon, because this is unbearable. I can't get regular internet where I live, so this is the best option.  And it was working until about a week ago.

Yeah I keep switching back to see if anything changed, did another test….

36ms ping out in the woods on 5G…...60-70ms ping on 4G at this moment. Talk about a difference...then 5G has very little jitter, while 4G jumps to 100ms+ constantly, My main game; escape from tarkov, just wiped and I am so far behind because of disconnects.

My PC is quite literally all the home entertainment for me. Games, movies, cartoons, etc, I dont use TV. It is bad enough I have to be very conservative to not use too much data too fast, they have Tmobile home internet in charleston….in the high crime areas ironically but not where they say they wanted to focus….like where I am.

Its like AT&T, they never upgrade the lines here because there isn’t many customers on this particular road. I dont have the starlink option either because of weather patterns and trees.

I switched it back to 4g umts and it works fine but yea I have been having problems with port forwarding and sending packets of data. Discord can't find a route to my ip address. Same with connecting to private servers. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

They going to be getting some anti-consumer if they keep it up.

Yeah, still no update for the hotspot. They act like its difficult to change a couple lines of code; I saw another post where someone emailed inseego and they said it was because of a backend change on Tmobile’s side. I hate when people lie to me, a company lying to you to make more money though...Flat out evil. They still have not emailed me back after two weeks now, which means….either they are stuck in a NDA with tmobile and their employees were not supposed to say anything or California has employee issues and they just dont got anyone replying right now.

Seems to be the norm in the technology sector now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Haven't signed up for the 5g unit yet because of all the issues it has... still on the white 4g box.  They recently did some work on towers here.  While the reliable throughput mid day has dropped into the 50-65mbps range on some bands, the latency to our Charlotte area "home" has improved around 15% or so (around 40ms now, about the same as we had with $pectrum when I left).

The bigger problem seems to crop up with the peering on the other side of that first hop.  Because of the 464 tunnel, can't see how it is getting routed in between... but something is bogging things down big time in between.

Latency to spots around the "nearby" Charlotte area we are homed to (actually in Florence, SC... over 2 hours away) is now falling in line with $spectrum's numbers (35-50ms, depending on the target).  But tests to places like Sumter, Columbia, etc. are a bit worse... clocking in the 60-70ms range more often.  It is much more noticable going to places like Dallas, Chicago, west coast.. up to a good 30% worse than you would expect compared to the more local testing results.  Servers I could hit out west around 90ms clock in at 120+ regularly... should be sticking to 100ms by comparison.  West coast destinations can break 150 at times, and it should be 120 or better by comparison, based on the Charlotte area numbers.

Let us not forget also how the 464 XLAT breaks peer communication too... unsolicited inbound v4 connections are filtered, which knackers things up for a lot of games, IoT devices and chat applications.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The thing is; I literally got this device on June 13th; it was insanely fast for two weeks (right at my billing cycle no less) then...its just been OK since then.

The thing is, you are buying 100gb of data, which means, regardless of how you are using that data, you are paying a flat amount of money for a flat amount of internet. There is literally no reason or excuse for slowing it down. Once upon a time you only got throttled for going over your data amount or it clearly stated 10 years ago it is unlimited but may be subject to throttling for excessive users.

Now its…..you are buying 100gb, being charged for 100gb, but we still gonna screw you over if you use it.

It is almost like 5G is a optional feature “free access to 5G” as if people charge more for it.

If I am gonna be stuck on 4g, I at least want something that boosts the signal.

Let me emphasize this point: This device was literally sold to me for playing video games as in, their own employees recommended this to me.

In other words, hooked me then screwed me over after I was stuck paying for it. Nice going T-Mobile; your service was much better on 3rd parties than it is directly from you. That is pretty sad.

Badge

I’m also having the same issue. A week ago I was able to play League of Legends with no problem. This week I tried to play and could not even connect to the game at all. I could go into the game lobby and pick my character, but then it errored out when trying to go to the loading screen. But then I switched the device to 4g only and it’s working now. So it’s something with the 5g.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem using a Galaxy S21 hotpsot for PC connectivity. Can do anything but game. Can get into launchers, can see my accounts and recent game achievements, but get a server time out error when I go to play. I don’t think this is a phone issue but a T Mobile network issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Found this on another thread. Definitely a T Mobile network problem. No UPnP. on their 5G network so basically you can’t game online with their service.

Hello! I apologize that you are having issues with Home Internet. I personally use T-Mobile Home Internet for Gaming, and I can agree with you it can be a little frustrating getting it to work with Video Games if at all. The reason for this (confirmed by a Supervisor from Home Internet department) is because the High-Speed Gateway lacks the “UPnP” feature which in short terms is used to connect to certain aspects of a Video Game such as Chat Systems for example. Without UPnP, video gaming can be tough. T-Mobile is aware of the issue, and they are working on a fix, but don’t know when it will be released. I hope my answer has helped. Have a great week!

They just fixed upnp where I live, holland-MI

Any updates on this? Still not working in UT. Quite frustrating.

As of today still not working for me. Any updates with you guys/girls?

Badge

Still not working for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I use Discord daily from my mobile.  Hotspot usage is treated differently though.  Speeds are usually throttled, which might be the issue.  

Yeah same for me. Still doesn't work. Everything works fine except any sort of Voice service. I can play games or surf the internet, but when I try to chat with them over voice, it just doesn't work. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

5G still does not connect to UDP for me except through a VPN like Speedify. ExpressVPN is horrible.

Still have to turn down to 4G to play games at around 80 ping.

Still no newer device update; may be lucky and find an older update to rollback device.