Dismal speed in Spain, even with prefect connection

• 21 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have been in Spain for 5 weeks.   I am on magenta max with a new iphone 12 mini. My wife also has the iphone 12 mini, on the same plan and the same issue: Roaming on vodaphoneES,  with full (four) bars connection I get a max download speed of 0.17mbps and 0.21 mpbs for upload (on speed test). Consistently. It is difficult even to read menus at restaurants seems they all have gone the way of QR code at the table. It is infurating.

I have had several tickets opened and none resolved. It would be good to see I am not the only one: are there other users out tehre experiencing the same? The latest ticket was opened last Saturday Oct 16, 2021: “Thank you for being a valued T-Mobile customer! Trouble Ticket # 37677334 has been opened on your account. Please allow 3 business days for teams to review. Resolution can take longer depending on the issue.”  Opening the ticket was the result of a direct conversation with technicians (the umpteenth one) that  closed the previous ticket because they determined the problem was with vodaphone. Since I know people here I checked with my friends who have local vodaphone accounts and found out they have absolutely no problem -- it si not an intrinsic vodaphone network problem. So the current ticket is for t-Mobile tech’s to contact vodaphone and try to figure it out.

Please, other users with this problem, open more tickets! Complain loudly everywhere you can, maybe t-Mobile will notice

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I just returned from Greece where I was regularly getting 100 Mbps download speeds. I have an old 55+ plan and bought a 10-day data pass.

Badge

I just returned from Greece where I was regularly getting 100 Mbps download speeds. I have an old 55+ plan and bought a 10-day data pass.

That’s great. I read a post of a cruise traveler that said he had good speed connection in Italy but not any longer once the ship docked in Barcelona, Spain. Soit seems like an issue specific to T-mobile phone accounts when roaming in Spain.

Badge

T-mobile called me back regarding the ticket I mention above. They said their engineers the US determined the problem is with the Vodafone network. I explained the Vodafone network is fine (at the time of the call I was sitting with two Spanish friends with Vodafone accounts and their phones were downloading very fast).  They blew me off: they said their responsibility is to get me connected to the network, not to deliver speed (!!), they insisted there is nothing else they could do, they refused  to try to contact Vodafone and suggested I talk to Vodafone. I told the rep there is no reason Vodafone would try to resolve my issue,it is T-mobile that contracts with them (in a very real sense T-Mobileis their client and pays them, while Iam T-Mobile’s client and pay it). They hung up.

I went to a Vodafone store. They told me(no surprise) Vodafone rents out towers to T-mobile and t-mobile controls the speed of service it’s clients get, so Vodafone has nothing to do and could not help me with the problem.

so not only T-Mobile service in Spain is horrible, it’s US customer service is just as bad, either incompetent or plainly deceptive and dismissive, plus downright rude. Ouch.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The problem can be the speed of the network connection from the roamed network (in Spain) back to T-Mobile. Your data connection has to be routed back to the T-Mobile APN before connecting to the Internet. I think this is often the problem where the local net is fast but roaming is slow.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Can I assume that you're using the included service from T-Mobile.  By default, it would be 256kbps.  

Badge

Can I assume that you're using the included service from T-Mobile.  By default, it would be 256kbps.  

You are right. The connection is throttled to 256kbps for magentaMax, 128kbps for magenta plans. It boggles my mind that no one in customer support, nor on the tech side of customer support could tell me this.  

It is also troubling that T-Mobile uses the international data included in these plans to market themselves, keeping the throttling limitations in the small print