Solved

Does T-Mobile support TBayTel network in NW Ontario ?

• 10 February 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I know that in Canada, carriers can roam on each other in some places (ie. Rogers can roam on Bell in Sask, and Bell can roam on MTS/Rogers in Manitoba).

The question that I have is... can T-Mobile roam on TBayTel in North Western Ontario (eg. White River, Sioux Narrows, etc).

icon

Best answer by tmo_lauren 11 February 2016, 19:19

Greetings, looking at Ontario, it appears the roaming partner is listed as "Bell Canada" in the areas there is coverage. 😊 So anything Rogers or Rogers partner wouldn't connect, explaining why you may have been das boot.

-Lauren

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Ok - that's a little sad.

Userlevel 5

Greetings, looking at Ontario, it appears the roaming partner is listed as "Bell Canada" in the areas there is coverage. 😊 So anything Rogers or Rogers partner wouldn't connect, explaining why you may have been das boot.

-Lauren

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@tmo_lauren

Can you verify that Rogers is the roaming partner in that area ?  I know that when I was in eastern Ontario (Ottawa area) and Toronto area, Rogers would give me the 'boot' (Emergency Only) after a few minutes, but Telus and Bell worked ok.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Actually, from my experience, T-Mobile's map is much more like Bell/Telus map in NW Ontario.

Bell 'had' only Thunder Bay, Wawa and Kenora/Dryden areas covered until recently, while TBayTel has covered most of its area for a couple of years.

Userlevel 5

If we get coverage in an area, it will show our primary partner, which in this case is Rogers. It will be marked as Rogers even if there is reciprocal agreement with another carrier through Rogers because our relationship is with Rogers.

Looking at Ontario on the coverage map, much of it is not covered. You can view where is covered here 4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

Interesting question. TBayTel seems to be a close partner of Rogers, sort of like Iowa Wireless is a partner of T-Mobile but I don't know if that extends to inbound international roaming or not.

T-Mobile's Canadian roaming map looks pretty much the same as TBayTel's coverage map. I'd just print out T-Mobile's coverage map and look for coverage where they say they'll have it. If not, throw a "retail fit". If you get better than the map shows, be pleasantly surprised.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

That's a little bit of a conundrum then.

Rogers Wireless is a 'partner' of TBayTel  (or the other way around).

Rogers coverage map shows TBayTel as native.

Network Coverage

TBayTel shows TBayTel as native and Rogers as roaming (but shows 'TBayTel with the power of Rogers' on their coverage map)

Coverage

Now Bell/Telus also roam with T-Mobile (probably better than Rogers - I had no luck last summer with Rogers in Ottawa/Quebec).

Even Telus/Bell show more coverage than your current map in NW Ontario (eg.  Nestor Falls, ON, White River, ON)

Do you have a list of carriers that T-MObile 'can' use in Ontario, Canada ?

Userlevel 5

Greetings!

It doesn't appear we have a TBay Tel roaming agreement listed directly, however if one of our roaming partners roams with them, it may be available. 😊

-Lauren