Solved

Getting a Wi-Fi CellSpot Router (on family plan, out of state)

• 16 March 2016
  • 4 replies

I'm interested in getting/renting one of the CellSpot routers to improve wifi calling coverage at my place (which blocks out cell signal almost entirely)—we need a new router as well, so it'd be very convenient. I'm on a postpaid Select Choice family plan, which looks like it'd qualify to get one for a $25 deposit, but I'm a student resident out of state and am not an authorized payer on my family's account; my family doesn't have any CellSpot devices right now. Is it possible to get one for my apartment, and if so, how should I go about it? Can I walk into a store, or do I need my parents to order one for me?

icon

Best answer by stevetjr 17 March 2016, 02:25

They would have to do it since only an "authorized" account holder can authorize a purchase (even if a deposit only).

View original

4 replies

They would have to do it since only an "authorized" account holder can authorize a purchase (even if a deposit only).

Great, thank you so much! I'll let them know—I assume they can walk into a store and order one?

It needs to be a corporate store and it has been hit or miss so I would have them call ahead first. I would make sure they are specific that you wan't the cell-fi router and not the cel-spot which is the new one which basically just becomes a cell tower using your internet as it's backhaul but doesn't have a router.

Thank you for this! I'll tell them to try calling beforehand/instead.

I had one more question, actually: since our plan is officially Select Choice (grandfathered plan) and not straight-up Simple Choice, does that still qualify for the promotion?